Cannot Get Us Visa For My Mother-In-Law - Any Help Appreciated!

Who is VisaNet? Is the 'representative' mentioned in sentence one the OP's Congressional District US House of Representatives Member or the immigration attorney retained?

Note: There is a USCIS.gov website to track case status but it is not called 'VisaNet'

Representative is Congressional District US House of Representatives Member.

The VisaNet was a direct cut and paste from the letter. Not sure.

Mr_BKK

JLCrab, USCIS does not handle visas, that's a State Department function.

Re "visanet" Mr Google comes up with several hits, here's one:

http://www.state.gov/1997-2001-NOPDFS/services_infoservices.html

Visa Services
For information on issuing immigrant and non-immigrant U.S. visas to foreign nationals:
Write:
Public Inquiries
Visa Services
U.S. Department of State
Washington, DC 20522-0106
Call: 202-663-1225
(Note: This office does not maintain a master file on individual cases. Inquiries about the status of specific non-emergency cases should be directed to the U.S. consul in the country where the application was made.)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mc

The MIL has been rejected 3 times including the last time with the help of a lawyer so there must be something going on here that you are missing. This is the line that struck me:
My mother-in-law is widowed and owns a ton of land in Isaan that she farms.
All by herself? Does she plant and harvest the rice or whatever all by herself? If she indeed has a 'ton of land' she must have some help including maybe managers who can carry on the operation for an extended period of time while she remains, as in overstays, in the USA to help you and her daughter with the new baby.
Her farm superintendent can deposit the money in one of her Thai bank accounts and she can withdraw in the USA with her ATM card. I'm just guessing but I think something like this must be in the minds of the US Embassy folks who have turned down 3 requests.

What on earth possesses you to bring the MIL over to the states?! Good grief you should be thankful they dole out the green card like candy and you come on here wanting mother isaan goose to follow you into the USA?

Be glad with what you've got! If it's your wife pushing for this (which I suspect it is) then you need to make things clear and not be brow-beaten.

It seems it's sometimes just the interviewer not liking the person being interviewed. That and IMO a lot of people lie about this or that.... and these folks are like cops, people lie to them all day so they are good at lie detecting.

• 1 year later...

Update:

Reading back through the thread - I believe the VISA system in Thailand to be flawed in the sense that the first person's decision is blindly supported over and over. There was no reason to refuse my mother-in-law.

Green Card - the next step is to get her a green card. She qualifies because her daughter is a US citizen. And they cannot use the same reason. She does not have to return to Thailand with a US Green card. Her interview in July 2016 (next month). We will see how this goes. My MIL will still just visit the US, we are going a long way to get a visit in.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I cannot believe it - she got the green card. I was all prepared for another "no". First try on the interview - pass. She has the VISA in her passport. Next step is to come here to the USA and wait for her green card.

It is ironic that we will only be using her green card to visit, and yet they would not grant her a visitor VISA. The US would rather allow her to come to the US and work?? She has the right to work here too. Funny...

I must thank Knight VISA Help Point - http://www.knightconsultantworldwide.com/ - they were so helpful in checking over all my paperwork and they were able to helkp my MIL understand all the documents. She met with them before the interview and the stepped through each document and explained what each one was. My MIL had to go into the interview alone and she cannot read english, so this was key.

How many years? I think it took 3+ years for all this to happen. My father in law died since we started, that is how long it took! He never got his trip to America.

Good luck to all other.

Mr_BKK

Well done! You must be very happy.

• Like 1

Yes, very happy. Now working on the Green Card part - not sure if she should come here to America now (on her temporary VISA) or wait for the green card. I am not sure which address they send it to.

I'll start a new post for that question :-)

"It is ironic that we will only be using her green card to visit . . . "

A green card is only for someone who intends to be a permanent resident of the U.S. If that intent changes, or if it was never there to begin with, then she's not entitled to the green card.

Remember that simply as a green card holder, your mother-in-law will be taxed on her worldwide income just like a U.S. citizen, and she'll have to comply with the bank account reporting requirements and similar laws to the same extent as if she were a U.S. citizen. This is regardless of the amount of time she actually spends in the U.S. I raise this since you mention she has an active business and owns a lot of land. Normally, an individual with means who's planning on getting a green card does quite a bit of tax planning before getting the green card.

Edited by taxout
  • Like 1