Isuzu D-Max Vs. Ford Ranger

I'm looking at buying a used pickup, 2009-10 or so, and have narrowed it down to the 2.5 Turbo Diesels from either Isuzu or Ford. I'm partial to Ford, given its reputation in the States, but Isuzu's are ubiquitous in Thailand, so maybe it's the smarter choice here, I don't know.

For those with experience of one or both, please share your thoughts with me concerning:

Overall reliability

Cost and ease of maintenance

Resale (both value and ease of finding a buyer)

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it!

We have had the previous model 2.5L Dmax and Ranger as basic work trucks and both have been OK. The Ranger was slightly better for us because the Dmax rusted more.

As Steven said the Fords do not seem as popular on the used market so are better value if you are buy a used truck and keeping it. The Colorado is virtually the same as the Dmax and may be slightly less expensive. Used pickup are rarely difficult to sell at the right price.

Not much to pick between them for maintenance. Ford occasionally group parts into large assemblies than Isuzu pushing up the price. Our Ford dealer has been better than the Isuzu dealer but that may not apply to your location.

The Ford cab is a bit smaller than the Dmax and neither has good crash test results. Think the Triton and Hilux of this era got better Crash test ratings which may be worth considering for anyone driving on the highway a lot.

• Like 2

Just to ad my 10 Bhts worth, not being a Truckie,it seems to me there are some dam good features on all trucks. But not one truck with all the features fitted.coffee1.gif

Sleep- Now.........

I considered buying a car at first, but accept that as a teacher my lifes here isn't settled. I could decide, or be compelled, to change schools and thus locations at the drop of a hat. A pickup would allow me the means to move my things without the headache of arranging a move through a company or with a freelancer. In short it would give me more freedom and peace of mind. Also, the 2.5 L Turbo Diesels in either truck get very respectable gas mileage, so it's not like I'd be giving up much on that end. Thanks for your reply, mjj.

• Like 1

I bought a Ranger in 2011.

Just done the 50k service and never had any issues with it.

Very torquie motor but not such high top end, but pretty economical on a cruise.

Sister in law has a D-Max, top of the range with all the gizzmos, I prefer the Ranger :)

I don't intend to sell my, so resale value wasn't a consideration.

Our Ford dealer does good services and they are pretty good value on parts, although I paid for a 3 year service plan so its "free" !!!

Go Ford....

My last Ranger was a 2004 model,after 9 years I spent 5900 baht on it in replacement parts,other than routine servicing,

Paid 616.000 baht for it new and got back 270.000 baht in part ex for a new Ranger,so I really can't complain at all.

If the new ranger does as well I will be more than happy.

Isuzu's track record for building good engines - especially good diesel engines is very long. I like Fords ... but I have felt that Isuzu builds trucks I can count on ... When I lay down money for an Isuzu - I feel good when I drive away - just confident ...

Why have you ruled out the Triton and Vigo? Seems to me they are a much better choice for a 5 year old truck.

I don't see why the Triton would be a better choice, and besides am not into Mitsubishi styling. As for the Vigo, I've owned a Toyota before and wasn't impressed with their so called reliability. I know I bought a lemon -- of course it can happen with any manufacturer -- but I still have a bad taste in my mouth over it.

After the responses here, it seems I won't go wrong with either the Ford or the Isuzu. I'm going to look at both and buy whichever I find in the best condition for the price. Thanks everyone.