Building Permit Exemptions

I am looking at building some small structures from natural materials. Clay huts or rammed earth. It has been suggested to me that the type of structure and material I plan to use might be exempt from needing a building permit. Can anyone tell me where I can find the apropriate documents to varify this or not.

I like to do things by the book in Thailand but it would be great if it was not neccessary.

The samuiforsale website has a partially translated copy of The Thai building control act b.e. 2522 if you want to peruse through the pages.

It may be easier to approach your local Tessaban and ask.

@Soutpeel you may be unpleasantly surprised if you try building out in the boonies without permission. The tessabans/village chairmen do keep an eye on things in towns and villages and you do require planning permission.

Never heard of planning permission.

My ex Tgf has built three houses,on her land,one of which I presently rent.

A word with the neighbors, they are OK etc,off you go.

2 buildings single story concrete bungalows,one,traditional Thai style on stilts.

All in the last 5 years.

Location Phitsanulok.

The samuiforsale website has a partially translated copy of The Thai building control act b.e. 2522 if you want to peruse through the pages.

@Soutpeel you may be unpleasantly surprised if you try building out in the boonies without permission. The tessabans/village chairmen do keep an eye on things in towns and villages and you do require planning permission.

will never be unpleasantly suprised as I have no intention of building or living out in the boonies in Thailand..

Thanks I figured that would be the case, however I am worried that the guys in the office don't really know what they are talking about and will advise to pay for a permit regardless of what the law says. Then followin that because it isnt a recognized building concept they will then try to wiggle some tea money out of me or hold up the project. Am I paranoid?

Can't help with post build approval as I have no experience although there have been claims in other threads of people being told to remove the building. If the project has started but incomplete I dare say you could ask permission and if they're satisfied approval will be granted.

I'm passing on experiences from my wife and family. It's a mix of village houses, city and town houses plus commercial buildings.

Village builds generally get the nod of approval from the village head. Towns and cities require approval from the tessaban. They'll notify you of any restrictions on the plot like height or how close you can build to the road etc.

A family member recently built an extension to an existing building, It was cheaper to ask the tessaban architect to draw up the plans which included building permission than have plans drawn up privately then seek approval. This also removed any request for tea money.

Nope Im sorry you don't need permission, the head of the village told us so and also the land office, more than 3 km from the main road no permission, build what you like, no permission no plans, did it and finished early this year.

Thanks I figured that would be the case, however I am worried that the guys in the office don't really know what they are talking about and will advise to pay for a permit regardless of what the law says. Then followin that because it isnt a recognized building concept they will then try to wiggle some tea money out of me or hold up the project. Am I paranoid?

Yes, I paid nothing and got nothing except a blue book with no name in as the Wife already has another place, no permit no plans nothing submitted to anyone 3km from Phetkasem Road Pranburi.