Any Surfers Here?

ShawnA

I am surfing in Kata at the moment, and the Nautilus prices are 150 baht/ hr, 250/2 hrs, 400 baht/ half day, 500 baht whole day. If, I was you I would just rent, hauling a longboard around is a pain in the @@@. Trust me, as a beginner you will be dead tired after two hrs and very happy not to have to worry about your longboard. If you get bitten by the surf bug, which you probably will, after your first wave.....you will change your whole lifestyle around to suit the sole purpose of being able to surf, as much as possible. Don't buy anything, at these prices rent and invest in a few lessons. Watch and observe the waves and more accomplished surfers. Phuket is not so bad for surfing, I was quite surprised. Enjoy it and remember, baby steps!

500 baht a day for a bit of 20 year old foam and fiberglass. You could rent a room and a motorscooter for that price, and people have the hide to complain about tuk tuk drivers prices

Agreed - but the boards are in reasonably good condition & compared to the silly money they want to actually buy a board its not bad

• Like 1

Surfed Nai Harn yesterday.

Pretty decent swell in. The cyclone even has these waves with a bit of ooooomph in them.

Saw a funny sandbar/rip current peak funkiness, thought I'd give it a go. Set wave rolls through, bumpiness has me off balance and then WHAM (no not George Michael) I get waxed by a backwash wave. Paddled down the beach to the left hander where it wasn't so bumpy, caught a few good ones.

BTW-saw the lifeguard boys make a good rescue. They used the floater sausage made a belt for the guy, floated him on his back and the two of them swam him in. Hope they get the contract scenario worked out.

• Like 1

so i just went out on the waves in Kata for the first time. lots of fun, will definitely keep going. Nautilus, and i assume the others, have a package, 1000baht for 10hrs, use the 10hrs whenever you feel like, as many days as you like, i guess they just mark off what you use on time card.

the tide at 10am today was about 1/2 way between high and low and i was easily able to walk out past the breaking zone. this seems like a lot easier than paddling, so i can save my energy for attempting to surf. i guess at high tide that would not be so easy right?

i started to get the feeling for catching the waves. am i right in thinking i want to be somewhere between the point where it starts to break and the low rollers further out? somewhere around the point where the rollers start to build up height? that seemed to be the best place for me to catch waves.

i didn't try to stand up, i want to get the feel of the board and the waves first. but one thing i do want to ask about is, i see the "standard" way to get up is the popup. but i'm a bit old and out of shape for that big spring.

so i saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C11ZFAylHYY

about 1min into the video he shows a 2 step method, the first is to slide up onto your knees, the seconds, stand up from a kneeling position. trying this method and the popup on dry land, i find his method a lot easier. does anyone have an thoughts on that?

so i just went out on the waves in Kata for the first time. lots of fun, will definitely keep going. Nautilus, and i assume the others, have a package, 1000baht for 10hrs, use the 10hrs whenever you feel like, as many days as you like, i guess they just mark off what you use on time card.

the tide at 10am today was about 1/2 way between high and low and i was easily able to walk out past the breaking zone. this seems like a lot easier than paddling, so i can save my energy for attempting to surf. i guess at high tide that would not be so easy right?

i started to get the feeling for catching the waves. am i right in thinking i want to be somewhere between the point where it starts to break and the low rollers further out? somewhere around the point where the rollers start to build up height? that seemed to be the best place for me to catch waves.

i didn't try to stand up, i want to get the feel of the board and the waves first. but one thing i do want to ask about is, i see the "standard" way to get up is the popup. but i'm a bit old and out of shape for that big spring.

so i saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C11ZFAylHYY

about 1min into the video he shows a 2 step method, the first is to slide up onto your knees, the seconds, stand up from a kneeling position. trying this method and the popup on dry land, i find his method a lot easier. does anyone have an thoughts on that?

forget the first way he shows it. It is too slow and will teach you bad habits from the start.

Just go with the second. You will take more wipeouts to start with but one day it will just "click" and you will be miles ahead of those who use that stupid knee grovelling way he showed at the start.