Health Check Ups For 50Yrs ++

mja1906

Hi, any suggestions for which hospital in Chiang Mai for an overall health check for 50ys male? I have seen these health check programs advertised at different hospitals ie; CM Ram, Siripat, etc.... Is there any difference between them? Also its for a Thai citizen, so do the government hospitals also offer the same kind of checks for older people?

Any hospital will do, they all do a reasonable job of the testing. Interpretation of test results is another matter.

Wherever one goes, need to review the results yourself against the normal ranges listed and take the initiative to get further medical advise on any abnormal results. The advice given by the doctors in health check up departments is often of poor quality, with bioth important things missed and unnecessary treatments/drugs advised.

AFAIK the government health system does not provide free check-ups, so he would have to pay out of pocket.

Hi,

i want to do the same, Check Up 50 up,

has anyone done this actually in BKK.

I tried to contact the "very Big one", but within 2 days still no answer.

Any other recommendations?, in BKK only.

Thanks alot-GF

Most of the international hospitals have websites with listings of there programmed health checks that you can review - but it does not cost that much more to contact a good doctor first and use them as filter to select the best/cost effective selection on the basis of your current apparent needs after an interview and office exam.

Thanks Lopburi,

i know these packages already,but i am short in time in BKK,so i wanted to do it in one of the intl.Hospitals to get a complete overview, and if its necessary then,can see the special doc.

Only wanted to know, if someone did it actually and could give some comment of "okay" or not so...

I did one a few years at St Louis' Hospital in Satun, Bangkok; I think it cost about 3,000 THB, maybe 2,000 THB, can't exactly recall. It was pretty simple: blood test, piss test ( though of limited value as non-fasting), chest x-ray, EKG, stress test and a review meeting with an English speaking doctor. You can chop and change according to your needs, for instance you can have an analysis of a bowel sample if you wish. In real terms it was probably a lot more expensive than going to a local hospital; I've just been discharged from hospital here and on the bill the EKG and chest x-ray cost 200 THB each. But they had a dedicated section at St Louis, it is easy to get to by BTS, and if you are time limited might work well for you; look them up on the web and you'll get a phone number to make an appointment direct with the department; I imagine they'll have a slot for you tomorrow if you want.

There's hardly any difference between the health exams at Sriphat and RAM except the cost, RAM will be more exam although there are different exam packages based on age, sex and need, I would be inclined to head toSriphat if I were you..

Many TV members have had check ups at hospitals in Bkk.

Personally I've had them at Bumrungrad, Samitivej and Bkk Christian. All were fine in terms of efficiently doing the tests but only Samitivej did a reasonable job of reviewing the results, that tends to be the weak link in the process. There is a tendency both to overlook significant abnormal findings and to mistakenly give importance to minor variations of no importance, and i ngenera not to put much thought intop it nor analyze in context given the specific individual's history etc. Samitivej on the other hand did a good job on all of those counts. I like both Dr. Phuchai and Dr. Snchana there.

The other glitch is that you need to know yourself what tests you need. The packagers are designed for Asian populations and not that well thought through (I have yet to see a single one that is appropriate for post-meonopausal women, for example).

At 50+ you should have: CBC, ALT/AST. creatnine, fasting glucose, a a lipid panel (LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, triglycerides), PSA, stress test (unless you've had one recently) and stool test for occult blood. Other tests according to any specific complaints.

You'll find that the packages that include stress test them often also include an ultrsound of the upper abdomen, which you do not need. It's included because there is a high incidence of primary cancer of the liver in Thailand, but it is rare in western populations. Sometimes it is cheaper to get a lower end package and add on one or two things than to get the "higher ned" package complete with things you don't need.

I agree with the tenor of your posting.A comprehensive repertoire of tests is to be applauded but a skillful evaluation of the results is what's really important.

on this subject if you are over 50 and have been a long time smoker it is a good idea to have a cat scan however this sceening is a costly.

It's not usual to do that, most doctors would recomend that you only undergo diagnostics only if you are experiencing symptoms or suffering from a pulmonary problem, a periodic chest x-ray however has benefit when weighed against the cost.

He asked specifically for Bkk....

No, the OP asked, "any suggestions for which hospital in Chiang Mai for an overall health check".

OK I see the confusion. I was responding to posts 3-5. The original post did indeed ask re CM.

on this subject if you are over 50 and have been a long time smoker it is a good idea to have a cat scan however this sceening is a costly.

I wouldn't be eager to get a CT scan unless the risk factors clearly indicated it was necessary. By some estimates as much as 2% of the cancers in the US may be caused by CT scans. And for US women maybe as much as 6% of breast cancers.

Here's an article by a doctor on the subject:

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2012/08/ct_scans_and_cancer_is_your_doctor_increasing_your_risk_with_all_that_medical_imaging_.html

Personally I've had them at Bumrungrad, Samitivej and Bkk Christian. All were fine in terms of efficiently doing the tests but only Samitivej did a reasonable job of reviewing the results, that tends to be the weak link in the process. There is a tendency both to overlook significant abnormal findings and to mistakenly give importance to minor variations of no importance, and i ngenera not to put much thought intop it nor analyze in context given the specific individual's history etc. Samitivej on the other hand did a good job on all of those counts. I like both Dr. Phuchai and Dr. Snchana there.

The other glitch is that you need to know yourself what tests you need. The packagers are designed for Asian populations and not that well thought through (I have yet to see a single one that is appropriate for post-meonopausal women, for example).

At 50+ you should have: CBC, ALT/AST. creatnine, fasting glucose, a a lipid panel (LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, triglycerides), PSA, stress test (unless you've had one recently) and stool test for occult blood. Other tests according to any specific complaints.

You'll find that the packages that include stress test them often also include an ultrsound of the upper abdomen, which you do not need. It's included because there is a high incidence of primary cancer of the liver in Thailand, but it is rare in western populations. Sometimes it is cheaper to get a lower end package and add on one or two things than to get the "higher ned" package complete with things you don't need.

Thanks for the excellent information once again, Sheryl. For a 63-year old male who swims daily, has BMI of 22, and a resting heart rate of 43, would the stress test be necessary? The last stress test I had was about 6 years ago and was normal.

I wouldn't be eager to get a CT scan unless the risk factors clearly indicated it was necessary. By some estimates as much as 2% of the cancers in the US may be caused by CT scans. And for US women maybe as much as 6% of breast cancers.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2012/08/ct_scans_and_cancer_is_your_doctor_increasing_your_risk_with_all_that_medical_imaging_.html

Frightening!

I like both Dr. Phuchai and Dr. Snchana there.

Sheryl,

Is the second doctor's name misspelled? I can't find him/her at Samitivej. Also, can you recommend a female doctor who is similarly good at test evaluation?

Yes, misspelled - its Anchana and she's female.

Thanks for the excellent information once again, Sheryl. For a 63-year old male who swims daily, has BMI of 22, and a resting heart rate of 43, would the stress test be necessary? The last stress test I had was about 6 years ago and was normal.

As it has been 6 years, personally, I would.

This link is not to an article by a doctor but rather to a mass media site which reports on several studies, and, as is usually the case, gets some of it wrong. Specifically the percentages cited have no clear validity.

But, it is definitely true that radiation exposure increases the risk of cancer, unnecessary radiation exposure should be avoided and also that CTs are particularly high in radiation compared to other imaging methods.

And indeed, CTs are not recommended as a screening tool, for smokers or anyone else. If a Chest Xray or ultrasound showed a lesion then yes, CT might be indicated. But not as an initial screen.

Lots of helpful replies, thank you. Did not realise the potential risks with CAT scans, is this the same for x-rays? For a 50+ long time heavy smoker, is it recommended to get x-rays regularly? (annually or?)

This link is not to an article by a doctor but rather to a mass media site which reports on several studies, and, as is usually the case, gets some of it wrong. Specifically the percentages cited have no clear validity.

But, it is definitely true that radiation exposure increases the risk of cancer, unnecessary radiation exposure should be avoided and also that CTs are particularly high in radiation compared to other imaging methods.

And indeed, CTs are not recommended as a screening tool, for smokers or anyone else. If a Chest Xray or ultrasound showed a lesion then yes, CT might be indicated. But not as an initial screen.

As above, Xrays are much safer and yes, a smoker should get an annual Chest Xray. Also regular stress tests since smoking, in addition ot lung cancer and emphysema, greatly increases the risk of heart disease.

As it has been 6 years, personally, I would.

some die more healthy than others...

Dr. Mann, a cardiologist at Samitavej Sukhumivit did an excellent job diagnosing my heart and related problems. He is US trained, US Board Certified, and speaks excellent English. He may not be the cheapest in town, but is what you really want?

I agree with previous post. Let a Doctor examine you first, and then he will prescribe the specific tests you need. I am 84. Without Dr. Mann's diagnosis in 2007, I would not be writing this.

Don't take one of the packages. You will not get good diagnosis.

• Like 1

Well, I'm very glad that Dr. Mann did such a good job.

Silly question, but where and how would one see a doctor/gp here first? In the UK you would go to your local health clinic to see a doctor, but the system seems to be different here, as people just go straight the hospital. Or maybe there are private health clinics here where I could consult with a doctor first? thanks

Silly question, but where and how would one see a doctor/gp here first? In the UK you would go to your local health clinic to see a doctor, but the system seems to be different here, as people just go straight the hospital. Or maybe there are private health clinics here where I could consult with a doctor first? thanks

You would make an appointment with a doctor at a hospital, private or govt. He would examine you and ask about your health history. He would then recommend which tests to take.

You would make an appointment with a doctor at a hospital, private or govt. He would examine you and ask about your health history. He would then recommend which tests to take.

I think it's a little more tricky than that, if you want a doctor to act as as a GP or a first line of defence and co-ordinator of all your health matters you need to ask around and find one, they (capable and willing ones) are as rare as hens teeth in Thailand. Doctors here either want to do it all themselves, make as much money as possible, simply prescribe lots of medication or simply don't know how to act as a GP - it's all about knowing where the line is to refer or to treat and most don't seem to understand.