Transferring Name On Green Book?

Hi - I bought a scooter last year, but since I'm on a tourist visa I couldn't put it in my name and it was left in the name of the wife (Thai national) of the person I bought from. I would like to sell the bike. Do I need to go back to this person and get them to sign it over to me or can I just sign it over to the person I sell it to?

Thanks

She has to sign the Green Book and fill out the transfer paperwork required by the license office. She is the legal owner of the bike, hopefully you are both on good terms. Easiest way to get this done is take her and the buyer down to the registration office and have her sign in person, have her bring her ID. This will save you time in the event the person at the desk doesn't accept the signature in the Green Book or transfer paperwork as matching.

Went through this in the past several years ago, complete pain in the butt.

By the way, you get a tourist visa that is good for 90 days you can register the bike in your name but if I recall you have to register the bike before you hit the 60 days remaining mark on your visa. Things change all the time though so don't recommend you take what I am saying as absolute truth, being Thailand and all you never know but if the bike is in her name the bike belongs to her period and you can't legally sell it without her signing off. I'm pretty certain that has not and while not change in the perceivable future.

Edited by commande
  • Like 1

She has to sign the Green Book and fill out the transfer paperwork required by the license office. She is the legal owner of the bike, hopefully you are both on good terms. Easiest way to get this done is take her and the buyer down to the registration office and have her sign in person, have her bring her ID. This will save you time in the event the person at the desk doesn't accept the signature in the Green Book or transfer paperwork as matching.

Went through this in the past several years ago, complete pain in the butt.

By the way, you get a tourist visa that is good for 90 days you can register the bike in your name but if I recall you have to register the bike before you hit the 60 days remaining mark on your visa. Things change all the time though so don't recommend you take what I am saying as absolute truth, being Thailand and all you never know but if the bike is in her name the bike belongs to her period and you can't legally sell it without her signing off. I'm pretty certain that has not and while not change in the perceivable future.

Excellent info. I'm on another tourist visa with about 70 days left on it. Thanks, very much this makes things a lot less complicated. I was almost going to sign it off to me gf but that might be a mistake.

Most appreciated.smile.png

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious-what Tourist Visa allows 90 day stay? Thai Tourist Visas are issued for a maximum of 60 days and can be extended for an additional 30 days, but the visa is gone and one is then on an extension of stay. In order to register a bike you will need a certificate of residence and immigration will normally not issue this unless you are on a Non-O visa and have made a 90 report. You may be able to get a certificate of residence from your embassy with only a Tourist Visa though.