Loud Music In Restaurants?in Thai And Other Place In Asia!

.....Repost of my recent previous rant on this subject..................

I dont know where to start on this one as this is a real problem for me now living in Esaan, yes Esaan Thailand for 6 mths of every year, and it seems to be getting worse. Thais dont seem to understand the meaning of 'background' music while u r eating, drinking, or shopping....or that people might want to get away from the noise of the town or city and traffic and enjoy the peace and quiet of nature in certain places,e.g., by the sea, riverside or lakeside etc.,...or at certain times; like enjoying the special tranquil quality of those couple of hours at sunset. Most times it is the sheer volume that is the problem -the speakers and amps are getting bigger and bigger! The ladies used to do their early evening aerobics to ghetto blasters/boom boxes but now they are using an amp and big speakers plugged into the nearest lamp post power supply. There is one lakeside session in Udon where the dance leader uses 2 speakers which are bigger than she is! I used to hear it only as I approached and passed on my walk, but now I can hear it on the far side of the lake! And when I actually pass them the volume is now unbearable! And Im 60 and my hearing is not so good.

I remember once wishing there was somewhere where I could walk or sit at sunset by the river in Bangkok, and then being thrilled to spot a riverside park when passing on a riverboat. When I returned to enjoy sunset there the next day, after strolling for a few minutes, 2 policemen stationed in a hut switched on Thai music at a ridiculous volume blasting from another pair of huge, apparently permanently positioned speakers. I could not believe it!

Back to Udon...There is a newish and very popular night market open eating area named UD town. Although a fan of Thai night market food, I could never eat or drink there as the noise level is horrendous. There r speakers everywhere and a cocophony of different music and advertising assaults your ears from every direction. But this year I found an area beside the road on the very edge of it where it was quieter. Still noisy, but quieter and tolerable for me, where I could enjoy a beer, people watch, or eat with my family. I think they had removed a row of overhead speakers that previously blared out Thai advertising. Now dont get me wrong, I do enjoy music, some Thai music is very good, but I cannot cope with 2 or 3 different tunes playing at the same time. Surely this stops u from enjoying any of it. This 'quiet' area, however, has now been ruined once again as the newly completed shopping mall 'IT Plaza' almost opposite has started blasting out amplified music and advertising at a ridiculous volume from the front. This now competes with the UD Town cocophony.

I think musically Thailand is, for teenagers, a bit like the Sixties was in the West. They r enjoying lots of really great, for them, new pop music. And just as I did, they like it LOUD! Most bars, restaurants, and shops r staffed almost entirely by teenagers so, when they can, they put on their music and they put it on LOUD, and far louder than what most of us, in the West, would consider appropriate, or tolerable as background music. OK turn it up as the evening progresses, but I dont want Karaoke volume while I unwind with a beer at sunset. We recently ate at the most popular and really huge seafood restaurant near the breakwater at the Northern end of Cha-am. On one side of it there was a stage with some very nice live music being played, which was quite appropriate and acceptable. We grabbed a vacant table inside and found that there was a small tinny speaker over our head playing Thai pop music and ruining the live music. I got my missus to ask the staff the obvious question: Why? And they just laughed! They just dont get it. When I later went to the toilet I passed the large kitchen and service area and the offending music was blasting out there where all the teenage waiters and waitresses were scuttling in and out. Take care of the staff. Dont worry about the customers! By the way, dont go there as the service was the worst I have ever experienced in Thailand! No this is not sour grapes! It really was bad.

I love Nakhon Phanom on the Mekong river, and spend a lot of time there. They have, like everywhere else, a lot of 'Festivals', and these r often set up on the riverfront and incorporate bars and eating areas. It used to be very pleasant to sit and eat and drink by the Mekong and enjoy the festival atmosphere, but not any more I am afraid, due to the said ridiculous increased amplified 'noise' levels. U can hear the shadow puppetry, now amplified, behind u, the live show coming from the stage in front of u, and u can hear the children's bouncy castle and rides area blasting out music behind the stage! All at the same time! And It seems to be getting louder and louder every year! They tried to open a new night market area in NP, and I think someone had the bright idea that they should play very loud music and advertising speel to draw attention to themselves or just to be different, for NP anyway. I could only bear to walk thru there once, it was so loud. And I mean 'Loud'. They persisted with this night after night, and I am sure that's why it failed and folded within about a month.

I know a nice simple friendly little family restaurant in Udon that used to attract a lot of Farangs with a good choice of Western food as well as good Thai food. It was/is open onto a quiet soi with a grass roof beach bar kind of feel; not your usual Thai town house fast food shop where the family might be at the rear watching the TV. No! Here they decided to put a TV right in your face right in the middle of the restaurant with the family gathered around the table in front of it. OK, I could live with that as they were a nice friendly family and the food was very good and service friendly and obliging. But the volume on the TV seemed to get louder and louder, and the customers fewer and fewer. I had eventually to keep asking for it to be turned down to a reasonable volume, as we regularly ate there. A couple of times one family member took umbridge and stormed off. But they never seemed to take the hint and learn from this. The other Farang customers have dwindled away to nothing, and the Western food has gone from the menu. Thai eat-in customers have also dwindled and now they have moved the kitchen to the pavement and are struggling to survive on selling mostly take home, and all, I think, because of the ridiculously loud volume of the TV!

Last one, I promise.....Recently I saw 2 of the dreaded advertising pick ups/songtaews crawling along the road together in Udon, They were both blaring out their advertising speel in competition with each other, but guess what? They were both advertising the same thing!

I still love Thailand though, and I'll probably go deaf soon so problem solved!

Do I get a prize for the longest rant ever on Thaivisa.com? Or will u just send out a hit-man?

Its a generational thing. I bet everyone who's answered on this forum is over 50.

I used to love my loud rock music when I was 20-35. Loved going to the Fillmore and

Winterland in San Francisco to hear some loud, psychedelic music.

Now, I want quiet. Once in a while, I'll turn it up like the old days, but, by and large, I prefer quiet.

But, we never heard loud music in public places back then. Only in concert halls.

The world was run by old people. At least older people. We hated it.

The world has changed. The young are in charge now (and god help us all).

And this is the result of that change. Loud music everywhere. Or just plain music everywhere.

Or Karaoke or some self important chick with a microphone. One thing they all have in common

is they are under 35. We weren't in charge back then and we aren't in charge now. Talk about

your cruel ironies.

But its great back in the UK now as shops and advertisers r all playing 60s and 70s music as background music (BUT AT A REASONABLE VOLUME). This is because our generation, the 'Baby Boomers', r the only ones with any cash to spend.

Loud music is a bane on society. Unfortunately, most people do not realise that regular noise exposure has a significant affect on hearing as one ages; not just at the time of exposure. Admittedly I did not take this too seriously until I trained as a pilot and had this kind of awareness drummed in to me as a relative youngster. The bottom line is steer clear of uncomfortable and high/low pitched noises when at all possible, even if it means walking out of a bar or restaurant, it pays in the long run. I have done this on many occasions around the world. Inconvenient, yes, but just common sense. A secondary benefit is to avoid tobacco smoke, but don't get me started on that one!

I recently had a rare positive experience with regard to loud music in Thailand. I was riding my bicycle past UD Town in UdonThani, when above the usual cocophony, I thought I recognised the distinctive sound of Sixties soul music. As I love(d) this music, I followed my ears to investigate. The music had stopped but I walked into an open air Plaza with a stage at one end. It was filled with Thai teenagers all dressed in HipHop/rap type dress; baseball caps etc. One group was leaving the stage and another group was mounting the stage. It was an all weekend break-dancing competition...Not my scene at all, but when the music started I was blown away.....Can u believe that they were break dancing to Sam and Dave's "Hold on, Im coming!"...Classic 60's Soul. Amazing!

.............Great music never dies!

This little gadget will take care of those annoying TVs that are getting the best of you. Quite a few years ago I bought a small, keychain-sized remote that will turn off (or on) supposedly any TV in the world. It can employed boldly, or surreptitiously...it's up to you. It works through glass, too.

You have to eat quickly, though, because someone will undoubtedly turn the TV back on again before you know it. Kind of fun, nonetheless.

https://www.tvbgone.com/cfe_tvbg_main.php

• Like 1

I subscribe to all of the above and I was 61 yesterday and officially retired at the stroke of midnight.

Here in this other far Eastern Isaan province called Nakhon Phanom all that has been claimed for elsewhere has doubled, if not trebled. It may amuse some to hear of a recent episode - or could just demonstrate all my humour is truly lavatorial.

Tesco Lotus were holding yet another promotion in their doorway with the obligatory 6 pretty little things with massive egos and even bigger microphones but exactly what they were promoting evaded me.

Having just landed and my small battered gut not yet acclimatized I was in mid race for the facility when one of these little darlings popped up in front of me and tried to engage me in conversation about their wonderful product targeted specifically at falang. I tried hard to excuse myself politely but said little darling continued to step back in my way and obstruct aforementioned urgent progress - you know the one with the butt clenching crabbing technique. At full volume the darling asked me in unintelligible English what I would most like in store - as if I had failed to listen to all the clues planted - and I regaled the whole store at 120Db that the toilet was the most desirable at this moment. Determined to get the right reply from me the blocking continued until I lifted him onto a counter and rushed past.

However, the little swine got the last laugh as the only cubicle free was the one directly below the speaker and for the duration of my trumpet involuntary I was regaled with cacophony.

There being a large Vietnamese population here with cafes and restaurants they are much more responsive to a respectful request that the goggle box or piped muzac be turned down / off / over and the elders control the callow yoof who, on entry, reach for the controller.

The Chelsea Riverside with its fabulous terrace overlooking the Mighty Mekong and Lao Mountains is a godsend. Great food and the chance to sup a beer and just be there with friends gabbing away is a rare treat I intend increasing. The occasional tape of 70s pop is most welcome as it is played a real background music. My Thai family and friends all opt for it when I suggest we meet up. Proof of the pudding and all that. But then she did cater for Fulham folk for 14 years and more so was on direct route to Chelsea Football Ground from the tube station.

Best wishes all.

Its a generational thing. I bet everyone who's answered on this forum is over 50.

I used to love my loud rock music when I was 20-35. Loved going to the Fillmore and

Now, I want quiet. Once in a while, I'll turn it up like the old days, but, by and large, I prefer quiet.

But, we never heard loud music in public places back then. Only in concert halls.

And this is the result of that change. Loud music everywhere. Or just plain music everywhere.

Or Karaoke or some self important chick with a microphone. One thing they all have in common

is they are under 35. We weren't in charge back then and we aren't in charge now. Talk about

your cruel ironies.

I've always enjoyed being able to talk to my friends in the pub.

When I was a teenager. A student. A yuppie. And still now. Call me old fashioned, but if I wanted to listen to music I;d go to a concert. If I wanted to listen to my friends, I'd go to a pub.

SC

• Like 1

A recurring topic here. Yes, noise is a problem. Know that it's not going to go away, ever. Thais either like loud music or it doesn't bother them. Certainly noise never keeps them awake.

Sometimes the Thai playing the music/TV will turn it down for you, but mostly will ignore your request--and, after all, you're imposing a request other customers likely wouldn't agree with, if they thought about it.

Best solution is to carry earplugs with you at all times as I learned to do years ago. I put them in regularly and life is better.

You can also carry and listen to your own MP3 player/phone w/ noise-isolating earbuds/phones for your own music.

Other than that, you choose carefully where you live, visit, and sit.

That's all.

My inlaws live in Buriram and there village has a funural or wedding once a week and the homes in there village vibrate all night with the bass from the music played. It does not effect the villages as they go about there lives. I can't sleep until it stops!!!

I subscribe to all of the above and I was 61 yesterday and officially retired at the stroke of midnight.

Here in this other far Eastern Isaan province called Nakhon Phanom all that has been claimed for elsewhere has doubled, if not trebled. It may amuse some to hear of a recent episode - or could just demonstrate all my humour is truly lavatorial.

Tesco Lotus were holding yet another promotion in their doorway with the obligatory 6 pretty little things with massive egos and even bigger microphones but exactly what they were promoting evaded me.

Having just landed and my small battered gut not yet acclimatized I was in mid race for the facility when one of these little darlings popped up in front of me and tried to engage me in conversation about their wonderful product targeted specifically at falang. I tried hard to excuse myself politely but said little darling continued to step back in my way and obstruct aforementioned urgent progress - you know the one with the butt clenching crabbing technique. At full volume the darling asked me in unintelligible English what I would most like in store - as if I had failed to listen to all the clues planted - and I regaled the whole store at 120Db that the toilet was the most desirable at this moment. Determined to get the right reply from me the blocking continued until I lifted him onto a counter and rushed past.

However, the little swine got the last laugh as the only cubicle free was the one directly below the speaker and for the duration of my trumpet involuntary I was regaled with cacophony.

There being a large Vietnamese population here with cafes and restaurants they are much more responsive to a respectful request that the goggle box or piped muzac be turned down / off / over and the elders control the callow yoof who, on entry, reach for the controller.

The Chelsea Riverside with its fabulous terrace overlooking the Mighty Mekong and Lao Mountains is a godsend. Great food and the chance to sup a beer and just be there with friends gabbing away is a rare treat I intend increasing. The occasional tape of 70s pop is most welcome as it is played a real background music. My Thai family and friends all opt for it when I suggest we meet up. Proof of the pudding and all that. But then she did cater for Fulham folk for 14 years and more so was on direct route to Chelsea Football Ground from the tube station.

Best wishes all.

Nice post Courtenay. You always were full of sh*t!

This little gadget will take care of those annoying TVs that are getting the best of you. Quite a few years ago I bought a small, keychain-sized remote that will turn off (or on) supposedly any TV in the world. It can employed boldly, or surreptitiously...it's up to you. It works through glass, too.

You have to eat quickly, though, because someone will undoubtedly turn the TV back on again before you know it. Kind of fun, nonetheless.

https://www.tvbgone.com/cfe_tvbg_main.php

I have one of those too. Very handy. I also have a mobile phone blocker which can be endless fun.

Up country in the dry season of a yesteryear I would take my son along the 10 mile road to Montilla Resort with pool . The café and pool would often be empty with a nice lazy Thai country song on the sound system , Ah bliss in the shade of a tree as my wee lad would cool down in the water , until... eugh eugh eugh ,the Kaen and bass would fade and instead at an increased volume through the speakers would come - a bunch of ...... leaving on a jet plane and brown girl in the ring and strumming my pain with his fingers but not even the originals , just some cheap cover band pish , murder .

Up country in the dry season of a yesteryear I would take my son along the 10 mile road to Montilla Resort with pool . The café and pool would often be empty with a nice lazy Thai country song on the sound system , Ah bliss in the shade of a tree as my wee lad would cool down in the water , until... eugh eugh eugh ,the Kaen and bass would fade and instead at an increased volume through the speakers would come - a bunch of ...... leaving on a jet plane and brown girl in the ring and strumming my pain with his fingers but not even the originals , just some cheap cover band pish , murder .

[....And I bet they put them on especially for you! /quote]

[....And I bet they put them on especially for you! /quote]

I would guess they did too . My main gripe being I was an eighties teen and kinda hate drum machines .

In the Isan, when there is a Molam party, sometime the music is so loud, that also 5 km away the volume level is enough for western ears!

Some Thais can take a phone call near a noisy street, maybe the have a strategy to filter out background noices, I don't know!

We have only one choice, use earbags or noice blocker to protect our ears!

In the school we learn, that loud music damage your ears, maybe this the reason why some thais not give you a correct aswer to your question, when the ears are damaged in the childhood years!

your cruel ironies.

I am over 50 and love my Clash, Zeppelin, Doors, REM, Stranglers and Beatles loud also. It irritates me that I can't enjoy my farang music loud or at a decent level (but nowhere as loud and distorted as Thai music), but have to accept loud weddding parties in the middle of the night..and I find at a lot of these parties it is not only teenagers but middle aged men and older who can tolerate the high levels. I have even seen old ladies close to the big stacks on songraan day.

Its one of my pet hates the loud music in the cheaper Thai restaurants. I like to hold a bit of conversation during diner so usually we go a bit more upscale. Its hard enough to follow a Thai conversation and if the music is loud and loads of background noises i have no chance what so ever. (not that i get 100%)

What about on a bus? I like to read on a long bus journey, but that headbanging noise ruins it for me, I suppose some people would call it music, that I cannot understand.

Try barking dogs, day and bloody night, here in Thailand.

I take even loud techno music instead of the <deleted> barking dogs.

What do you mean loud techno "music"? Anyone who thinks that's music must be tone deaf.

I recently had a rare positive experience with regard to loud music in Thailand. I was riding my bicycle past UD Town in UdonThani, when above the usual cocophony, I thought I recognised the distinctive sound of Sixties soul music. As I love(d) this music, I followed my ears to investigate. The music had stopped but I walked into an open air Plaza with a stage at one end. It was filled with Thai teenagers all dressed in HipHop/rap type dress; baseball caps etc. One group was leaving the stage and another group was mounting the stage. It was an all weekend break-dancing competition...Not my scene at all, but when the music started I was blown away.....Can u believe that they were break dancing to Sam and Dave's "Hold on, Im coming!"...Classic 60's Soul. Amazing!

.............Great music never dies!

No it doesn't, but music is played by instruments, what most of the posters on this thread are referring to is "computerised crap" dreadful noises put together by computer and the volume turned up.