Thaksin Meets Iraqi P M Amid Row On Status

Lite Beer

FUGITIVE FORMER PM
Thaksin meets Iraqi PM amid row on status
The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- Discusses business as senators file case accusing him of violating charter

Fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra has posted a note on his Facebook page describing his recent trip to Iraq, touting his success in promoting Thai-Iraqi relations and urging Thai ministers to quickly respond by strengthening business ties.

"On April 26 I visited Iraq and met with His Excellency Prime Minister [Nouri al-] Maliki. We talked about the cooperation between the two countries in energy and food. He really is a practitioner and quickly ordered [iraqi officials] to invite the [Thai] energy minister, agriculture minister and commerce minister to visit with a request that they should bring businessmen. They want Thai labourers but I am not so eager for this as Thailand still needs a lot of labourers. But I'm keen to let [iraq] buy rubber, rice and sugar from Thailand, and let [Thai oil and gas firm] PTT help [iraq] expand petroleum production capacity. They want to visit Thailand after our [ministers] visit them and put some concrete cooperation in practice between the two countries," he posted.

Thaksin's promotion of his role in promoting Thailand abroad follows last week's filing by appointed Senator Paiboon Nititawan, former senator Chirmsak Pinthong and political scientist Komsan Pokong of a petition with the Constitutional Court accusing Thaksin of violating Article 68 of the Constitution. They allege he violated the charter by assuming power to run the country without legitimacy, and also accused 238 Pheu Thai Party MPs of violating Article 122 by carrying out their duties under Thaksin's control.

The group submitted recordings of Thaksin addressing the party by videoconference.

Pheu Thai Party deputy spokesman Anusorn Iamsa-ard, however, yesterday rebutted the Paiboon group's accusation, saying not one of the group's members had attended a party meeting, so they could not be familiar with Pheu Thai's command structure.

"Don't forget that Thaksin is a former prime minister. He knows what is and is not appropriate. He has never dominated or ordered party members to do anything. And constitutional amendment is the business of members of Parliament," Anusorn said.

He said the Pheu Thai Party insisted that its members would not testify to the Constitutional Court, as it has no power to consider its move to amend the charter.

Pro-government red-shirt protesters continued to rally in front of the Constitutional Court office for a 13th day yesterday, albeit in smaller numbers, calling on the court's nine judges to resign.

Leader Sornrak Malaithong said the group would take a break from protesting tomorrow and Tuesday before holding a big rally on Wednesday - the deadline set by the group for the judges to resign. If the judges did not respond, the group would step up the protest and seize five strategic spots around the Government Complex, Sornrak said. It would also submit gathered signatures and file a petition seeking the judges' impeachment to House Speaker Somsak Kiatsuranont, the group leader said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-05

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why are heads of State even meeting with him and discussing such things as politics. Thaksin is not even a politician in Thailand and is a suspect on the run. He does not legally represent the country.

He didn't get to meet the heads of stated in the US.

Interesting the information came from Thaksin on his facebook filtered through the Nation.

A liar on facebook picked up by a very unreliable news source the Nation.

If he did go there it was more than likely to try and trade rice for oil.

He says ""But I'm keen to let [iraq] buy rubber, rice and sugar from Thailand"

I didn't know they were not allowed to buy it.

He didn't get to meet the heads of stated in the US.

Interesting the information came from Thaksin on his facebook filtered through the Nation.

Well Dolly it's like a friend told me a while back. A person can be anything they want to be on the Internet. Such as , I have a PHD, I am rich, I speak Thai fluently, I went to Iraq and so on.

• Like 2

In light of the ratcheting of media suppression in Thailand by his sister, perhaps he went to get some additional pointers. Although he's well versed already, it never hurts to compare notes with similarly suppressive regimes.

Iraq suspends Al-Jazeera and 9 Iraqi TV channels
April 28, 2013

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/world/article/Iraq-suspends-Al-Jazeera-and-9-Iraqi-TV-channels-4470054.php#ixzz2SNdV3BSH

What a farce - Thaksin will let Iraq buy rice, and Yingluk will "release" it from the stockpile. In reality, anyone with sufficient funds (less if they are prepared to keep the price secret) can buy as much dubious quality rice as they are stupid enough to require.

That place is corrupt but there is even a limit to overpaying for rice. Nothing is stopping them is it?

Well when you look at the national pricing of fuel oil/lpg/ cng, cooking gas,rice program, etc. The loop holes found to market same, charge for refinning, buy/mill/store the rice, etc, I can envision how PTT would fit into the marketing of Thai rice. Of course we do not want to forget the commissions involved for those who arrange the 2nd stage scams to those that are using the Thai population to fund these boondoggles, on both ends.

Another one of this illustrous family who could be compared to the working girls of thailand, and their having a better moral agenda than displayed by this fruitloop.

Edited by slapout
  • Like 2

"Don't forget that Thaksin is a former prime minister. He knows what is and is not appropriate. He has never dominated or ordered party members to do anything."

He couldn't have said that with a straight face.

attachicon.gifP11978809-7.jpg

Pheu Thai Party deputy spokesman Anusorn Iamsa-ard

They never seem to remember what has already been said about Mr T as plenty of MPs have in the past spoken of waiting on conference calls, instructions via Sype calls and so on and now he's playing no role. Part of it is arrogance and belief they can say anything and it will be accepted mixed with a massive amount of stupidity

• Like 2

In order for Thaksin do meet up with heads of other countries he must have been given (behind the scenes) some official status by the Govt.

There is no way anyone except some sort of ambassador, cabinet minister or MP could get meetings with the Iraqui PM without some sort of official request from the Thai Govt.

For him to be able to make promises and set up meetings would be impossible without him being a representative of the Thai Govt.

I think you've got it spot on, it must have been sorted out in advance. We all know he is the Thai government and the Iraqis will have been told exactly who they would be dealing with but because of international diplomatic niceties it can be said in public.

Jeez people! Why can't Thaksin meet with a leader of another country??? After all, Dennis Rodman met with North Korean Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un and discussed politics also smile.png

As he now appears to be both acting CEO and the real PM I guess you're right. smile.png

Edited by bigbamboo