Thais Becoming Inured To Corruption: Thailand Development Research Institute

webfact

Thais becoming inured to corruption, TDRI says
The Nation

30205485-01_big.jpg
Pramon

BANGKOK: -- With bribes hitting 30-50 per cent of project prices, and the public showing signs of becoming inured to the practice, corruption has reached a critical point, the Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI) said.

"Back in 1997, people used to react strongly when it found that bribes were 10-18 per cent [of project]," Deunden Nikomborirak from the TDRI said yesterday.

"Back then, they felt it was a very high percentage," she told a seminar held by Krungthep Turakij TV's "Business Talk" programme.

However, people hardly reacted to recent research that found graft had grown much worse, she said.

Thais might have already got used to corruption by now, she said.

However, she was not losing hope. When the situation becomes too serious, those who are affected would join forces and take action.

"That's how an effective anti-corruption movement developed in Hong Kong," she said.

"People are the only hope because law enforcers are not entirely free from political influence".

People unaffected by corruption should also speak out against it.

"Let's demand righteousness for society," she said.

The seminar on an "Anti-Corruption Strategy by the Private Sector" was aimed at brainstorming ideas and following up on the progress against corruption.

Pramon Sutivong, chairman of the Anti-Corruption Network, said the public had become more aware of the social disease but it would take more time to see tangible results. "We hope that more and more people will join us in preventing corruption," he said.

The network plans to stage an anti-corruption rally on May 19 at Thammasat University to raise the younger generation's awareness of corruption problems.

"We hope people will decide to not work with the corrupt," he said.

The network would also monitor the government's Bt2.2 trillion public infrastructure plan, Bt350 billion water management and flood prevention plan and rice-pledging scheme.

Vorawan Tarapoom, CEO of BBL Asset Management, said that out of 176 countries, Thailand ranked 88th in the latest Corruption Perceptions Index.

"Out of a possible score of 100 for transparency, Thailand had just 37. This is on par with Zambia, Swaziland and Malawi," she said.

In comparison, Singapore got an 87 grade, she said.

The company was planning to persuade organisations to introduce more solid measures against irregularities.

"We may pass a resolution to not support any lending to corrupt companies," she said.

The media should take a more proactive role in cracking down on fraud, she added.

Prateep Tangmatitham, vice president of the Thai Listed Companies Association, told the seminar that anti-corruption efforts in the private sector would succeed if high-level executives had good intentions and laid down good policies.

"For example, they should develop clear rules on the acceptance and scope of gifts. All organisations should also have an independent panel to investigate suspicious cases," he said.

Banyong Pongpanich, CEO of Kiatnakin Bank, said the government should do more outsourcing of services. "Many pay bribes because they want convenience in contacting authorities and receiving services," he said.

A survey showed that 70 per cent of companies have paid bribes in exchange for convenience, and 80 per cent of them said the money was worth it, he said.

"Outsourcing can improve the delivery of services by government agencies. That's why many foreign governments have already used outsourcing. When private enterprises can receive services conveniently, they won't resort to bribe paying," he said.

Instilling the right attitude and proper values would go a long way, so Thais must be taught two things. "They must not cheat and they must not allow themselves to be cheated."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-06

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Back in 1997, people used to react strongly when it found that bribes were 10-18 per cent [of project]," Deunden Nikomborirak from the TDRI said yesterday.

Sounds like a shot at governments since them.

A large number of the people I know (Thai and farang) would struggle if corruption stopped. Their business and or life is only made possible because they know who to throw a few Baht at and I doubt it could stand on its own two feet otherwise.

Edited by notmyself

Stating the obvious and suggesting the media gets behind it, they too are part of the problem. In doing a pitch at present to certain 'elements' controlled by public companies, I was told by the mentor to add 50% to my budgets and it can be justified in the figures by the 'board' who "will" find in my/our favour. But remember if anything goes wrong, as a Farang, if they need a scapegoat there will always be the sacrificial Farang first! I don't fancy sharing my room with 49 others and squatting over a hole in the ground.

• Like 2

Thais are immune to corruption, and the world is flocking to get a piece of that pie for sure. Look at the present "Russian" problem lately. Western Euro's and North Americans have been here for years getting what they can. The word is out. Come to Thailand, you can buy anything you want and buy your way out of anything you need.

make it illegal to profit from any form of corrution and those caught will lose of ALL assets, money, and never hold a job higher than buffalo babysitter,

BUT EN-FORCE IT REGARDLESS OF STATUS, MONEY OR CONECTIONS...cheesy.gif

IT WILL NEVER HAPPENsad.png

"recent research that found graft had grown much worse" - despite government departments boards, commissions or whatever. THis is very saddening and oohing more than a giant leach on the backs of the people of Thailand.

Are people actually inured or is this apathy brought about by a country that no matter who you vote for is run by a ruling elite who are sucking the life-blood out of the country?

Edited by wilcopops

Corruption is at the top of the chain, so how on earth can it be curbed ?????

Well one thing's for sure this kind of throwing your hands up in the air attitude ain't gonna get anywhere!

Edited by wilcopops

A large number of the people I know (Thai and farang) would struggle if corruption stopped. Their business and or life is only made possible because they know who to throw a few Baht at and I doubt it could stand on its own two feet otherwise.

...and an even larger number of other people's businesses would thrive as they weren't shackled by the effects of corruption

Edited by wilcopops

So what should people do when approached for graft, when the visa extension depends upon procuring,"agents" to be granted, the Or Bor Tor squad descends and makes up rules? Where can foreigners call or write? Can they do so in English?

Seems the govt and people are quite happy with the status quo, it's a very eastern thing, after all and the incoming masses of EaEur's and Chinese are well versed in it.

I see very little in the way of real concern in stemming it but if
someone were serious, first steps would be to amend the libel and that other seriously deficient law, but above all, allow a free press.

If you want to live in an honest, just society, Thailand just isn't it, and it has no mechanism for change. It really is a dictatorship by committee.

Edited by EBlair48

The true corruption is the poor are afraid

Those in the middle play the game and turn ablind eye while of course those who benefit ae so corrupt they are shameless

As others have note the lack of justice free press and enforcement will continue and I see no prospects for improvement.

In many years Ive been here the sole leader who tried to really tilt was Chuan Leekpai.

A brief look at his cv exlains how different he was from other snots

Chuan was elected in 1992 after the abortive coup by General Suchinda Kraprayoon, thus becoming Thailand's first prime minister to come to power without either aristocratic or military backing

Chuan Leekpai (Thai: ชวน หลีกภัย; RTGS: Chuan Likphai; born July 28, 1938 in Trang) was the Prime Minister of Thailand from September 20, 1992 to May 19, 1995 and again from November 9, 1997 to February 9, 2001. A third-generation Thai Chinese of Hokkien Han Chinese,[1][2]
Chuan was born in Trang province in a grass-roofed house. The walls of
his family's house were woven from strips of betel-nut wood. The floor
was the soil. His father's name was Niyom Leekpai and his mother's name
was Tuan Leekpai. They were half-Chinese parents like most Trang locals.
His father was a teacher and he earned modest wages. Tuan Leekpai sold
Thai desserts and worked in a para rubber garden. Chuan Leekpai has 9
siblings and is the third child in the family. Because of his big
family, Chuan's childhood was not comfortable.

Unlike most since.The current credit fuelled boom with a youth so much more comfortable than their

parents will probably ignore the corruption surtax on big projects as long as they can watch soap or have latest apps.

The next recession and infaltion,insufficient infrastructure healthcare and pensions sufficient to match medical advances paints a mixed picture.

Of course renting daughters to foreigners is a proven standby the surest proof of inured corruption.

• Like 1

So what should people do when approached for graft, when the visa extension depends upon procuring,"agents" to be granted, the Or Bor Tor squad descends and makes up rules? Where can foreigners call or write? Can they do so in English?

Seems the govt and people are quite happy with the status quo, it's a very eastern thing, after all and the incoming masses of EaEur's and Chinese are well versed in it.

I see very little in the way of real concern in stemming it but if

someone were serious, first steps would be to amend the libel and that other seriously deficient law, but above all, allow a free press.

If you want to live in an honest, just society, Thailand just isn't it, and it has no mechanism for change. It really is a dictatorship by committee.

As a Brit, I am helpfully informed to tell them that to pay would be an offence under British law. Lol.

• Like 2

The people of Thailand, who are NOT naturally stupid, are getting brainwashed by most of the rich high status people on top, until the point of no return, that they do not really have the energy to even care about what is going on behind closed doors under the table den...

• Like 1

The people of Thailand, who are NOT naturally stupid, are getting brainwashed by most of the rich high status people on top, until the point of no return, that they do not really have the energy to even care about what is going on behind closed doors under the table den...

Is this irony?

That's not what I hear from the Thai's I know. They are getting more and more upset with the amount of corruption on all levels.

That's because the REAL Thais are the cannon-fodder; mere slaves to the elite superior Chinese-Thai race.

But it's interesting to see the war is going on in several fronts. On one front you have the Chinese-Thai businessmen up against the Thai politicians -- but that is slowly being won by the Chinese-Thai side as they get more blood into the political system. Just look at the current mix.

Meanwhile the bottom-level Thais have been enslaved for centuries through the education system -- back then when it was non-existent and now, in the form of compulsory education. They were never given the red pill -- they were always fed the blue one. Very few pure Thais ever get the choice, and they almost always choose to take the blue pill.

Edited by theajarn
  • Like 1

I thought I was having a relapse of dengue fever, my head was reeling. Then I remembered I was reading this article.....

""Outsourcing can improve the delivery of services by government agencies. That's why many foreign governments have already used outsourcing. When private enterprises can receive services conveniently, they won't resort to bribe paying," he said."

Hmmm improve government services by not having the government do the services, and somehow private companies are honest (?) and not corrupt.... say what? Where do the bribe moneies come from now, for projects and such? Is one gov agency bribing another? Are the privates just going to somehow be more efficient, so bribes get more "bang per buck"?

One or two things seem clear: they just don't get it, don't have the slightest idea how insane these pronouncements seem....

• Like 1

Teach the public how to hack into computer networks and THEN you'll be giving them the tools to get the job done.

But then you also release a whole new can-o-worms.

With corruption already ingrained into society... the whole thing could just be one big mistake.

As the slaves say: "If your bowl has rice in it... then it's a good day (that's ALL you need)"

It's their culture, it's always been a way for the untitled poor to get something done by an official.

I'm surprised that this report even got a mention.

"Corruption" is a western concept and they are trying to imitate the west in many areas of daily life, including anti-graft legislation, but not with a lot of enthusiasm.

• Like 1