Lost My Interest In Thailand

Thongkorn

The OP confirms my very sound theory about the sort of people who consistently post vehement condemnations of Thai and all things Thai (even beyond the degree that one might occasionally be warranted in doing so) and serves as a PERFECT illustration of my oft used but irrefutable axiom about life in Thailand (or anywhere but perhaps even more here):

Choices. It's all about your choices.

To be more specific would be to cross a line that I generally try not to but choice extends not only to where you go on holiday but also what you put up with in regards to much more important parts of your life (which of course, you wouldn't have to put up with given the right choices!)

Sorry, don't understand what you are saying. Yeh I am a Numnut, but try again in lay-mens language.

S'okay. I doubt you're the only one.

And I wouldn't assume the fault is yours rather than mine.

• Like 1

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP confirms my very sound theory about the sort of people who consistently post vehement condemnations of Thai and all things Thai (even beyond the degree that one might occasionally be warranted in doing so) and serves as a PERFECT illustration of my oft used but irrefutable axiom about life in Thailand (or anywhere but perhaps even more here):

Choices. It's all about your choices.

To be more specific would be to cross a line that I generally try not to but choice extends not only to where you go on holiday but also what you put up with in regards to much more important parts of your life (which of course, you wouldn't have to put up with given the right choices!)

Sorry, don't understand what you are saying. Yeh I am a Numnut, but try again in lay-mens language.

S'okay. I doubt you're the only one.

And I wouldn't assume the fault is yours rather than mine.

Now that's nice.

Now that's nice.

Well, I meant it - I know how I prattle on and assume it must be pretty impenetrable at times - but, thanks.

(I'm actually not a bad guy in real life and I occasionally let my TVF personae slip and inadvertently reveal that fact...fortunately I can say this and no one will believe it).

• Like 1

I wasn't going to bother - why subject people to more of my dross? But briefly and diplomatically...

1) Certain people have really harsh and ugly attitudes about Thailand and Thais, and some posters are those sort of people and demonstrate those attitudes here.

2) I have over the last couple decades come to some conclusions about those people, in general, based on observation and some critical/analytical thinking, which I feel rather confident are accurate.

3) I believe those people are bitter and angry because of things that happened to them and, to one degree or another, continue to happen to them here and that Thais things happened/ happen because of choices they made (about their own behavior, about the people they let in their lives, about financial and EMOTIONAL investments they make) and that those things that happened color their perception of everything to a degree that is completely debilitating to them own regards to being able to view anything with clarity or anything other than bitterness and bigotry.

I got a message that showed the above post and only now noticed that the auto-correct on this app has once again changed a typo into something nonsensical and made the post even more difficult to make out and some other errors of my own. Should read (emphasis added):

I believe those people are bitter and angry because of things that happened to them and, to one degree or another, continue to happen to them here, and that THESE things happened/ happen because of choices they made (about their own behavior, about the people they let in their lives, about financial and EMOTIONAL investments they make) and that those things that happened color their perception of everything to a degree that is completely debilitating to them IN regards to being able to view things here with clarity or anything other than bitterness and bigotry.

I wasn't going to bother - why subject people to more of my dross? But briefly and diplomatically...

1) Certain people have really harsh and ugly attitudes about Thailand and Thais, and some posters are those sort of people and demonstrate those attitudes here.

2) I have over the last couple decades come to some conclusions about those people, in general, based on observation and some critical/analytical thinking, which I feel rather confident are accurate.

3) I believe those people are bitter and angry because of things that happened to them and, to one degree or another, continue to happen to them here and that Thais things happened/ happen because of choices they made (about their own behavior, about the people they let in their lives, about financial and EMOTIONAL investments they make) and that those things that happened color their perception of everything to a degree that is completely debilitating to them own regards to being able to view anything with clarity or anything other than bitterness and bigotry.

I got a message that showed the above post and only now noticed that the auto-correct on this app has once again changed a typo into something nonsensical and made the post even more difficult to make out and some other errors of my own. Should read (emphasis added):

I believe those people are bitter and angry because of things that happened to them and, to one degree or another, continue to happen to them here, and that THESE things happened/ happen because of choices they made (about their own behavior, about the people they let in their lives, about financial and EMOTIONAL investments they make) and that those things that happened color their perception of everything to a degree that is completely debilitating to them IN regards to being able to view things here with clarity or anything other than bitterness and bigotry.

I think you are living on cloud nine with your eyes shut. In my pocket I have Thai v Thai stories so you carry on. coffee1.gif

I think you are living on cloud nine with your eyes shut. In my pocket I have Thai v Thai stories so you carry on.

I am being unrealistic and deliberately oblivious? How so? I took the time to answer your question, perhaps you could support your gratuitously derisive comment with something? In other words, if you want to insult me and/or disparage my views, please give a reason.

And I have no idea what, "In my pocket I have Thai v Thai stories" means. But I will say this, Thais are no more immune from the effects of bad choices than anyone else. (No that that is necessarily relevant to my original point regarding the OP)

Edited by SteeleJoe

I think you are living on cloud nine with your eyes shut. In my pocket I have Thai v Thai stories so you carry on.

I am being unrealistic and deliberately oblivious? How so? I took the time to answer your question, perhaps you could support your gratuitously derisive comment with something? In other words, if you want to insult me and/or disparage my views, please give a reason.

And I have no idea what, "In my pocket I have Thai v Thai stories" means. But I will say this, Thais are no more immune from the effects of bad choices than anyone else. (No that that is necessarily relevant to my original point regarding the OP)

Are you......, noooooooo can't ask that question. get into trouble again.

The OP has realized what stuff is about. I KNOW what stuff is about cos l witness it all the time COS I live here. Thats it. If you think it's all honey, great (for you). coffee1.gif

The blind cannot see things but their are those with eyes that cannot see things either. sad.png

AND no I am not talking anti Thai, I am talking about folk looking through the mist.

Am I what? Why can't you ask? What are you afraid of?

Yes, the OP has realized some things. That's for sure. Too little too late, one might argue.

Didn't mean to change my post after you'd replied. so I will put the addendum here:

You have decided - completely without cause - that I think that no one could ever have any legitimate reason to complain about Thais or Thailand. Despite the fact that I said:

"...people who consistently post vehement condemnations of Thai and all things Thai (even beyond the degree that one might occasionally be warranted in doing so)..." And implicit in that comment is the fact that vehement condemnations of Thais and Thailand are sometimes warranted.

I wouldn't expect you to know this but in the year or so that I have posted (with a long break), I have posted at least half a dozen times how little time I have for people who refuse to acknowledge anything g ever wrong in Thailand. While I have in the past gone to more effort and care to be clear than in the following example, just hours ago I posted on another thread:

"People who (feel we should never criticize Thailand or Thais)...well, invariably they are the ones who unceasingly and reflexively refuse to accept any and all critical comments about Thais or Thailand and will go to great lengths to come up with ways, no matter how preposterous, to try and dismiss it and as I've said before, I have possibly even more contempt for them as I do the people who unceasingly and reflexively insist on viewing anything and everything about Thais or Thailand in the worst possible way and will go to great lengths to come up with ways, no matter how preposterous, fallacious or dishonest to to do so.

Fuggem."

Get a grip. If you want to pretend you are superior, you'd look less foolish if you had something to support your comments with. But you have got nothing.

Edited by SteeleJoe

Yes, the OP has realized some things. That's for sure. Too little too late, one might argue.

Didn't mean to change my post after you'd replied. so I will put the addendum here:

You have decided - completely without cause - that I think that no one could ever have any legitimate reason to complain about Thais or Thailand. Despite the fact that I said:

"...people who consistently post vehement condemnations of Thai and all things Thai (even beyond the degree that one might occasionally be warranted in doing so)..." And implicit in that comment is the fact that vehement condemnations of Thais and Thailand are sometimes warranted.

I wouldn't expect you to know this but in the year or so that I have posted (with a long break), I have posted at least half a dozen times how little time I have for people who refuse to acknowledge anything g ever wrong in Thailand. While I have in the past gone to more effort and care to be clear than in the following example, just hours ago I posted on another thread:

"People who (feel we should never criticize Thailand or Thais)...well, invariably they are the ones who unceasingly and reflexively refuse to accept any and all critical comments about Thais or Thailand and will go to great lengths to come up with ways, no matter how preposterous, to try and dismiss it and as I've said before, I have possibly even more contempt for them as I do the people who unceasingly and reflexively insist on viewing anything and everything about Thais or Thailand in the worst possible way and will go to great lengths to come up with ways, no matter how preposterous, fallacious or dishonest to to do so.

Fuggem."

Get a grip. If you want to pretend you are superior, you'd look less foolish if you had something to support your comments with. But you have got nothing.

Got nothing. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Well tell us about YOUR lady and family, your situation and how you deal with stuff. Please. thumbsup.gif

Got nothing. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Well tell us about YOUR lady and family, your situation and how you deal with stuff. Please.

You love them smileys, don't ya?

So am I to understand that you think you have some basis for your comments about me - which you still haven't tried to support with any facts (because you have none) - because of assumptions you've made about my wife and her family?

If not, why ask? What specifically would you like to know? Does my situation in any way resemble that of what the OP described?

Not. Even. A bit.

But I spent 10 years learning about Thailand and Thais (and making mistakes) before I met my wife. Prior to meeting her I made sure that no matter how great they have been in some ways, I wasn't going to commit to any of the attractive women I spent time with who had certain baggage or lacked in certain things. Once I met her, I spent 6 years making sure that my wife and I knew each other well and had the same expectations and values before we married. even before that marriage ceremony, she and I both made sure that everyone knew that our first and primary loyalty was to each other (and now our kids) and we have both demonstrated that to each other without exception and under the most extreme circumstances for 20 years. And it happens that my in laws are perfectly OK people - a couple really fine siblings, one less so (but she has no impact on our life) with whom I have zero issues. Perhaps because I don't drink or screw around, work very hard and almost fanatically devote myself to my wife and kids and because I am respectful, and well versed in Thai culture and language, they seem to have a good opinion of me. But far more important than them, my wife is a person of impeccable integrity and strength and is fiercely, fiercely loyal to her husband and her children - so any problems we have are between us, never to do with anyone else, and down to the normal squabbles that a couple will have on occasion

Maybe all that makes an important difference. And it is all about choices (luck too, but the luck never could have happened given different choices).

How I deal with stuff? Sorry, that question is impossibly vague and broad.

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 2

Steeljoe has assimilated himself to thailand alright, he is stuck on thaivisa all day.

Keyboard expert.

Yeh and I cannot answer now cos I am going to sing farang songs but back tomorrow. laugh.png

• Like 1

Got nothing. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Well tell us about YOUR lady and family, your situation and how you deal with stuff. Please.

So am I to understand that you think you have some basis for your comments about me - which you still haven't tried to support with any facts (because you have none) - because of assumptions you've made about my wife and her family?

If not, why ask? What specifically would you like to know? Does my situation in any way resemble that of what the OP described?

Not. Even. A bit.

But I spent 10 years learning about Thailand and Thais (and making mistakes) before I met my wife. Prior to meeting her I made sure that no matter how great they have been in some ways, I wasn't going to commit to any of the attractive women I spent time with who had certain baggage or lacked in certain things. Once I met her, I spent 6 years making sure that my wife and I knew each other well and had the same expectations and values before we married. even before that marriage ceremony, she and I both made sure that everyone knew that our first and primary loyalty was to each other (and now our kids) and we have both demonstrated that to each other without exception and under the most extreme circumstances for 20 years. And it happens that my in laws are perfectly OK people - a couple really fine siblings, one less so (but she has no impact on our life) with whom I have zero issues. Perhaps because I don't drink or screw around, work very hard and almost fanatically devote myself to my wife and kids and because I am respectful, and well versed in Thai culture and language, they seem to have a good opinion of me. But far more important than them, my wife is a person of impeccable integrity and strength and is fiercely, fiercely loyal to her husband and her children - so any problems we have are between us, never to do with anyone else, and down to the normal squabbles that a couple will have on occasion

Maybe all that makes an important difference. And it is all about choices (luck too, but the luck never could have happened given different choices).

I read the first sentence, keep em short and sweet teeluk and people actually might read your posts

Got nothing. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Not. Even. A bit.

I read the first sentence, keep em short and sweet teeluk and people actually might read your posts

You don't say. He would have to churning out 20,000 words of crap a day.

Get out Joe, the fresh air might do you good.

Here you go, short(er) but not so sweet.

*The post was in response to someone who specifically asked me a question (not to you so why would it matter if you read any of it?)

*I post to kill time and entertain myself since I have to be standing by online. It makes ZERO difference how many people read my posts or if no one does as it's all about indulging myself.

*Obviously someone read my post because he felt compelled to comment about it.

Sorry your ego got bruised on the other thread but you look silly taking personal shots at me here (if you disagree with something I wrote then feel free to comment about substance instead derisive comments).

Here you go, short(er) but not so sweet.

*The post was in response to someone who specifically asked me a question (not to you so why would it matter if you read any of it?)

*I post to kill time and entertain myself since I have to be standing by online. It makes ZERO difference how many people read my posts or if no one does as it's all about indulging myself.

*Obviously someone read my post because he felt compelled to comment about it.

Sorry your ego got bruised on the other thread but you look silly taking personal shots at me here (if you disagree with something I wrote then feel free to comment about substance instead derisive comments).

Reminds me of a waffling old geriatric. I again only read the first sentence and saw it was like an Agatha Christie novel. Popular seller but no one can actually claim to have read one cover to cover.

Pattaya? With your wife....?

If that's where you go to relax then there is no hope....none at all...

age old joke:

-i am going to Pattaya

-you dirty pig!

-no, not what you think! i'm going with my wife.

-you stupid pig!

made my day cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Got nothing. Hmmmmmmmmm.

. But far more important than them, my wife is a person of impeccable integrity and strength and is fiercely, fiercely loyal to her husband

Are you sure about this "fiercely, fiercely loyal to her husband" ????, and how many hours does she spend on the thai forums telling the thais about her wonderful farang husband ???

Are you sure about this "fiercely, fiercely loyal to her husband" ????, and how many hours does she spend on the thai forums telling the thais about her wonderful farang husband ???

* Yes, I am. With 20 years of indisputable evidence.

* None. With a husband and two kids to clean and cook for and a home business to run, she has zero time or interest in doing something like this stupid thing that I am doing.

If you think that I am going to get into a drawn out exchange with some bizarre and pathetic stranger who has decided for no reason at all to have a go at the wife of someone he doesn't even know...well, we'll see!

Oh yeah, man of the year... coffee1.gif

Oh yeah, man of the year...

<deleted>? Where did I imply that I was anything of the sort or even praise myself?

There are some really strange people on this forum...I mean I've been known to disagree with people based on points they make, but to just start sh*t with them, out of the blue, for no reason? Very odd - and sad.

Edited by SteeleJoe

I think deep down the OP realises that his wife will choose her family over him every single time,stuck between a rock and a hard place!sad.png

And so will most of them! no contest.

• Like 1

It's like a pack of hyenas have descended upon a loan gnu. Quite the display of aggression, and over what?

Anyway, back to the OP, here's my very valuable contribution;

1. You went to Pattaya? There's the 1st clue as to the problem.

2. Songkran? 2nd clue. People wishing for quiet time AVOID Pattaya, Patong etc. at songkran.

Next time go to Hua Hin. It's where the polite genteel people are. The big excitement in Hua Hin for songkran was a well behaved foam party at Market Village. I wasn't a participant because I was holed up in a hotel with one of my Thai friends listening to him swearing at the "idiots" on the street and having him call his g/f to tell her not to go out as there were idiot "europe people" on the loose. Any foreigner to him is a "europe person". Bless his heart, he still doesn't understand that Danes are not Germans, Canada is not in Europe, and Australia is in the south pacific.

• Like 1