3G Mobile Services Attracting Large Numbers Of Users, Kicks Off In Thailand

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what you mean by "no new service."

Previously, AIS only had limited 3G on 900 Mhz band, meaning it wouldn't work with common 850/2100 Mhz 3G only phones, like those used on the True and DTAC networks.

Now, AIS's future 3G service will be on the same 2100 Mhz band as True and DTAC, and all of those three services will be pretty much nationwide -- instead of the hodge-podge of different areas and different services and frequency bands that's existed up until now.

\

Previously, AIS only had limited 3G on 900 Mhz band, meaning it wouldn't work with common 850/2100 Mhz 3G only phones, like those used on the True and DTAC networks.

Now, AIS's future 3G service will be on the same 2100 Mhz band as True and DTAC, and all of those three services will be pretty much nationwide -- instead of the hodge-podge of different areas and different services and frequency bands that's existed up until now.

\

I is a shame that people seem to think that giving frequencies is some kind of answer. I expected to get a Cheaper and faster service. There is NO INTERNET PACKAGE that does this. I have had the old 3G service for several years....at best it was a poor service. I now find having registered and had my SIM replaced that the old service is still the only internet only package available.

The whole thing seems to be a scam to get new customers without actually offering any improved product.

It really doesn't,t matter if it's 3G or 10G if there is no change in the products available to the customer

Edited by francescoassisi

francescoassisi, on 14 May 2013 - 06:37, said:

I is a shame that people seem to think that giving frequencies is some kind of answer. I expected to get a Cheaper and faster service. There is NO INTERNET PACKAGE that does this. I have had the old 3G service for several years....at best it was a poor service. I now find having registered and had my SIM replaced that the old service is still the only internet only package available.

The whole thing seems to be a scam to get new customers without actually offering any improved product.

It really doesn't,t matter if it's 3G or 10G if there is no change in the products available to the customer

Can you share any details on your situation? Location, device(s), applications, usage, what "old" plan did you have? what was the price? pre-paid or post-paid; more detail is better than none of course.

We're very early on in the launch of new 2100 MHz 3G services so I might chalk up any issues: new plans, porting - to the newness rather than some scam.

Obviously TrueMove H and DTAC/Happy might have alternate (older, 850 MHz 3G or even some combination of newer 2100 MHz) suitable services for you, depending on your location and equipment.

I do see quite a few new bundled, voice/data, data-only (tablet) post-paid packages at AIS. http://www.ais.co.th/3g/th/index.aspx#tips

I think we can help you find the available services assuming we more fully understand your situation.

Edited by lomatopo

\

AIS 900 MHz was more a marketing ploy rather than a real offering. That's why you 'enjoyed' a spotty service.

True has 13,000 3G sites nationwide, AIS has the equivalent (@850mhz) of about 1500. Either grin and bear it for 12-18 months , or migrate your number via MNP.

Despite AIS marketing machine, 2100 only has disadvantages versus 850 MHz

Well, it's not just AIS's "marketing machine" that's behind the 2100 Mhz service.

For whatever reasons people may believe, it was the Thai government that decided to standardize the country's movement toward a nationwide (kind of) 3G network based on the 2100 Mhz band.

The technical differences betweeen the 850 and 2100 Mhz bands have been discussed here before. As best as I recall, 850 Mhz is better suited for penetrating into buildings. But 2100 Mhz requires fewer transmitter towers to be installed, so has economic advantages for the mobile companies. I'm sure someone will correct me if I've gotten those details wrong.

But meanwhile, both True and AIS have incentives to migrate customers to the new 2100 Mhz service and frequency band. One reason is True's existing concession is due to expire this September -- for 1800 Mhz and/or 850 Mhz, I'm not clear. And AIS's concession for its current 900 Mhz 3G service is due to expire in 2015. Whereas the newly auctioned 2100 Mhz licenses will run through 2027, I believe, and involve the mobile companies paying a smaller share of their revenues to the government.

I called AIS last Friday about the 3G upgrade (had the old AIS 3G from their last launch)

I gave them the area in Bangkok where I live and also where I work and both area had just been upgraded

Then I had to enter a code followed by my wife's ID card number

Next day I got a message that I had the upgrade

I did a speedtest before the upgrade and my DL speed was 2-2.5M now it is between 6-8M

Have definitely noticed a speed increase when updating my Note 2 over the past few days

As best as I recall, 850 Mhz is better suited for penetrating into buildings. But 2100 Mhz requires fewer transmitter towers to be installed,

Cheers - opposite

You would need 3x more cell stations on 2100mhz to cover same area as 850. That's why Australia and USA are on 850.

Thru put the same.... The only benefit of 2100 MHz is from an engineering perspective its easier to optimize because the limited coverage of the Node B ( cell ). Heavy trade off for 3x the investment ( but AIS have deep pockets :) )

I called AIS last Friday about the 3G upgrade (had the old AIS 3G from their last launch)

I gave them the area in Bangkok where I live and also where I work and both area had just been upgraded

Then I had to enter a code followed by my wife's ID card number

Next day I got a message that I had the upgrade

I did a speedtest before the upgrade and my DL speed was 2-2.5M now it is between 6-8M

Have definitely noticed a speed increase when updating my Note 2 over the past few days

Can you share your approximate location(s)? Are you sure you are on the 52003 network (status bar, or Settings, About phone, Status, Network? What APN is selected (Settings, Wireless and networks, More, Mobile networks, Access Point Names? Is Data roaming checked? (Settings, Wireless and networks, More, Mobile networks).

I assume you have a post-paid account, with an associated data plan? Has there been any mention of porting?

I assume AIS 2100 MHz customers can still roam onto TOT?

DTAC presents tri-band ambitions

10 May 2013

Thailand

Thailand’s second largest cellco DTAC has given a presentation of its goals for this year, after rebranding its mobile network as ‘TriNet’, signifying the tri-band capabilities of its 1800MHz, 850MHz and soon-to-be-launched 2100MHz infrastructure, with the full marketing banner reading ‘TriNet 3 Smart Networks in One’. As reported yesterday by CommsUpdate, DTAC decided to stick to a plan to launch its 2100MHz 3G network next month, despite rivals AIS and True launching 3G and 3G/4G services respectively over their 2100MHz networks this week.

DTAC plans to invest THB12.5 billion (USD424 million) in CAPEX this year as part of a three-year THB34 billion CAPEX budget. It has rolled out around 1,000 3G 2100MHz base stations so far, a number which it intends to increase to 5,000 this year, thus raising its total 3G base stations to more than 10,000, including around 5,200 850MHz 3G cell sites. The company previously announced that it was seeking to cover at least 30% of the population with the 2100MHz network by the end of 2013, and 80% by the end of 2015, one year earlier than its licence coverage requirement stipulation. DTAC is aiming for ten million TriNet 3G subscribers by end-December 2013, and expects that by the end of the third quarter at least 30% of its 3G subscribers will be utilising its 2100MHz network, rising to around 50% by the end of the year. The ten million TriNet project total users includes three million existing 1800MHz 2G network users upgrading their services, around 3.8 million existing and new users of the 850MHz 3G service and 3.2 million new subscribers. DTAC currently has more than 26 million 2G and 3.5 million 3G 850MHz subscribers. The operator, part of the Telenor group, is also preparing to roll out 4G LTE services by refarming 1800MHz spectrum.

In a separate statement DTAC confirmed that following shareholder approval it is changing the name of its subsidiary which holds its 2100MHz spectrum from ‘DTAC Network Co., Ltd’ to ‘dtac TriNet co., ltd’.

I have to admit I am completely confused by this whole thing. I'm on AIS postpaid and using a Lumia 920. Initially I thought this 2100 MHz sounded like an improvement since my up until now I have found AIS 3G to be patchy at best.

About a week ago I dialled the number that tests the SIM card. Got a message back that all is ok. Same with the number that tests the phone. So I dialled whatever the number was to apply and got an SMS from AIS saying

"Thank you for choosing AIS 3G. The network will be available in your area in May 2013. You will receive SMS for further detail in the near future"

Then today I received an SMS in Thai saying

ขอบคุณที่เลือกAIS 3G2100พื้นที่ของคุณจะใช้ AIS 3G2100ได้มิ.ย.56เพื่ออัพเกรดอัตโนมัติกรุณาส่งเอกสารสมัคร รายละเอียดโทร*915115ฟรี

which I think says that the service will be available in my area in June (??) and that I should apply for it by doing something with the number *915115. But dialling that number doesn't do anything.

When I do a manual network search from home, 52003 shows up in the list (but says "forbidden") so apparently it's available in my area now.

And anyway, it's a mobile solution so what does "my area" have to do with the issue? My area is the very place that I have no need for 3 or any other G because I have WiFi there.

If anyone is able to make sense of this I would very much appreciate an explanation. Thanks in advance.

As an aside, my wife says that her colleagues that have already switched to 2100 MHz on AIS report considerably faster battery discharge rate so she says that she isn't going to switch until necessary. Does that sound right?

When I talked to AIS customer service about this a week or two back, they said they were allowing customers to switch to the 2100 Mhz service once that band becomes available in the area where they/you live.

I understand your point about wifi. I have my own separate wifi at home as well, so the only time I'd be using AIS 3G would be when I'm AWAY from home -- which kind of makes their approach to 3G service activation useless. Although, as I understand it, your voice calls will go over the same 2100 Mhz band once you activate the service -- not just data -- assuming the 2100 Mhz band is available in the location you're making the call from.

I've been pre-registered with them for 2100 Mhz 3G for the past month or two, and got the same SMS saying the new service would be available in my central BKK area in May. They launched a week ago, and still had zero contact back from AIS.

1) I have found AIS 3G to be patchy at best.

2) "my area" have to do with the issue? .

Both related. AIS has very limited 2100mhz. So they don't want to migrate you if your not in the coverage which is highly likely. That's why you service is patchy

3)2100 MHz on AIS report considerably faster battery discharge rate

If LAC boundary poorly designed ( mostly new operator ) - YES - it will kill the battery faster.

I assume that you have not been provisioned for the new network; you should contact AIS to determine the reason.

Re: your aside, it's not clear to me why battery discharge rates would increase considerably on 2100 MHz 3G over another frequency, like 900 MHz. I would agree that any 3G operation would utilize more battery than say 2G.

Thanks for the replies. It makes sense then that once switched to 2100, you need that network for voice as well. I hadn't thought about that. However, if the 2100 coverage is that patchy it makes me wonder whether it is a good idea to change now or wait.

Since my last post I called 1175 hoping to speak to an operator. The first option given by the automated response was something like: "For subscribing to the 2100 service............." So I would guess that they are overwhelmed with queries about that. I followed the instructions to register (even though I've already done that before). The response was "thank you, AIS will be in touch" same as before. But this time shortly afterwards I got an SMS saying:

"Your number is under a corporate account. To upgrade to AIS 3G, please contact your company. For SME, AIS 3G will contact you via SMS within 7 days"

That's true, it is under a corporate account. But why the different response last time? Now they're no doubt going to want a few trees worth of photocopies.

Seems to me that the whole thing has been rushed and is a complete shambles. I'm going to forget about it for now and wait for them to contact me whenever that is. Fortunately I'm not a big 3G user so don't care much.

Thanks again for the replies.

Needless to say, all the carriers' 2100 Mhz coverage is going to be spotty for some time to come, as they expand their coverage and cell tower capacity.

For AIS, supposedly, if you have their 2100 Mhz 3G and go away from the area where they have coverage on that band, their network is supposed to automatically roam you to their original 900 Mhz 3G service, assuming your mobile is 900 Mhz 3G capable.

Needless to say, all the carriers' 2100 Mhz coverage is going to be spotty for some time to come, as they expand their coverage and cell tower capacity.

For AIS, supposedly, if you have their 2100 Mhz 3G and go away from the area where they have coverage on that band, their network is supposed to automatically roam you to their original 900 Mhz 3G service, assuming your mobile is 900 Mhz 3G capable.

Thanks. Ok, good but doesn't that then make the "your Area" restriction pointless?

How do AIS establish where "your area" is anyway? Is it the address your bills go or the place that you happen to be when you subscribe to 2100?

Thanks. Ok, good but doesn't that then make the "your Area" restriction pointless?

How do AIS establish where "your area" is anyway? Is it the address your bills go or the place that you happen to be when you subscribe to 2100?

What are you talking? :) You'll just Roam on to the next band. There is no extra charge.

What are you talking? smile.png You'll just Roam on to the next band. There is no extra charge.

Think you may need to read the previous few posts again.

When I talked to AIS customer service about this a week or two back, they said they were allowing customers to switch to the 2100 Mhz service once that band becomes available in the area where they/you live.

I understand your point about wifi. I have my own separate wifi at home as well, so the only time I'd be using AIS 3G would be when I'm AWAY from home -- which kind of makes their approach to 3G service activation useless. Although, as I understand it, your voice calls will go over the same 2100 Mhz band once you activate the service -- not just data -- assuming the 2100 Mhz band is available in the location you're making the call from.

I've been pre-registered with them for 2100 Mhz 3G for the past month or two, and got the same SMS saying the new service would be available in my central BKK area in May. They launched a week ago, and still had zero contact back from AIS.

AIS has big problems with their new system, that is for sure.

Since I have problems with their 900Mhz 3G for half a year already, I'm getting speeds of 10 KB/s and they are very well aware of the issue, I received a call from 1175 on 21 March with the question if I wanted to pre-register, which I did.I received straight back an sms that 2100Mhz would be available in my area mid May and that I should go change my sim.

On 18 April I went to the telewiz shop in pattaya and received a new sim, however they were not able to activate it " since the system had a temporary problem" , and I needed to go to AIS shop in Central Pattaya.

Went there and they had a desk specially designated for the upgrades.I was the 6th in the queue and the managed to serve 1 person every 45 minutes, so went home.

At the same time I started receiving calls from Thai people I didn't know and the next day still .So I checked my number and it turned out that they had missed 1 digit when entering the number in mny new sim.

So called 1175 and the old sim got reactivated and they would send me a new sim by post.

This new sim arrived about 2 weeks later with the insulting letter they were happy to help me out at no charge because I LOST my previous sim card.I have made them aware how I feel about insults since.

So I had to call 022719000 as soon as I received the sim so they activate this one and deactivate the old one. Did that and I was told that I had to register again by calling *988 and entering the ID number. However that didn't work because every time I would get the voice message that told me to enter my ID but before I was able to enter the first digit it would already notify me that my request could not be proccessed and I had to try again later.

Tried several times later but always the same.So calling 1175 again and was told that the system had just a temporary glitch laugh.png .After a day I got so upset and told them that they could put my account where the sun doesn't shine and was then told that I could also try *988*id number# and sent. Fine that worked and I got a message again which said that I would receive an sms when the service was available in my area.

The AIS service guy had however told me that the service was already available in my area, and indeed I could see the 52003 network but not log on.

He called me yesterday, I have since the problem with the previous sim a personal assistant at the service center, and told me that it would normally take 10 days before the service was active but they would make an exemption for me and activate it for me today. Lucky me .whistling.gif

This afternoon he called me again and said they would start the activation proccess at that time, which would take an hour, after which I would lose connection and I had to manually search for the 52003 network.

After 1 hour I receive an sms from AIS 3G which said, the activation of your sim has failed you will receive a new message very soon.

So I call 1175 and ask if this very soon means today, next week or 2015. They check and assure me that it will be within today.

20 minutes later I receive a call from the same guy as always and he tells me that they can not activate it today because my sim card has to be in use for at least 2 days before they can activate it cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I ask him right away why they keep telling their customers this crap and not simply admit they have serious problems with their system.Of course there are no problems at all and the real reason is what he just told me. The sim has to be in use for at least 2 days before they can activate it, which he obviosly wasn't aware of yesterday or even 20 minutes earlier, and it will now be activated on Friday.

I told him already that I look forward to his next excuse on Friday.

Edited by jbrain

Seems to me that the whole thing has been rushed and is a complete shambles. I'm going to forget about it for now and wait for them to contact me whenever that is. Fortunately I'm not a big 3G user so don't care much.

yes, i agree 200%

My experience wth AIS 3G is similar like jbrain's. (BTW I am a high value customer)

I am in the process of migrating - away from AIS.

I may try them again in a year or two.

For 3G with varying location (smartphone): go to TRUE or CAT

For 3G with fixed location (stationary computer with aircard): TOT or DTAC, try which one is faster

For voice calls at high altitudes (ie higher than 7th floor): DTAC (AIS doesnt have a good signal at such high altitudes)

For international calls: TRUE Intersim or CAT Phonenet

AIS is very good for calls inside AIS network from 10pm to 5pm and on weekends and for mobile fax

I am in the process of migrating - away from AIS.

I may try them again in a year or two.

For 3G with varying location (smartphone): go to TRUE or CAT

I think I will wait with migrating my AIS sim then till 2100 MHz improves

My main phone is on True 3G which I am happy with, waiting for Apple to open up the carrier for True 4G as I am down town a lot

P.s. called that *988 on AIS to migrate, but did not go they with it. After hanging up I got a thank u SMS for migrating me, and will let me know. They must be desperate to migrate customers

Edited by skippybangkok

My AIS 3G 2100 does actually works better.

photo.jpg

been testing in a different area after upgraded, bus, BTS, MRT data works great even im on now FUP 64kbps. Listen to radio on iPhone, playing Youtube and video on facebook still great no stupid buffer like the old 3G900. Voice is not bad, got cut off a couple times while im on BTS. If you are now having Smartphone with AIS SIM, you can consider to upgrade. biggrin.png

My Wife and myself both registered with AIS on the same day.

We both received the SMS saying that the signal would be available in our area in May 2013.

After a few days my Wife got the SMS for upgrading and now has 3G. (Previously only Edge)

I got nothing.

Tried registering again using the call center automatic system and was told that I was already registered and would receive an SMS when the signal was available in my area as it is not at the moment.

Strange that my Wife has it , living in the same house as me. rolleyes.gif

Maybe she sits in a different room.

My Wife and myself both registered with AIS on the same day.

We both received the SMS saying that the signal would be available in our area in May 2013.

After a few days my Wife got the SMS for upgrading and now has 3G. (Previously only Edge)

I got nothing.

Tried registering again using the call center automatic system and was told that I was already registered and would receive an SMS when the signal was available in my area as it is not at the moment.

Strange that my Wife has it , living in the same house as me. rolleyes.gif

Maybe she sits in a different room.

I believe there was another member post here in the past couple days where AIS upgraded one part of a husband-wife couple and didn't upgrade the other spouse -- even though they both had pre-registered requesting 2100 Mhz service.

Doesn't make any sense, based on AIS' claim that they're upgrading customers based on when 2100 Mhz transmitters become available where they live.

I'm still waiting to hear from AIS as a pre-registered postpay customer... but nothing yet.

Too. Many. Words.

I bet he's really looking forward to dealing with you again.

• Like 1

Too. Many. Words.

I bet he's really looking forward to dealing with you again.

smile.png

He's already added jbrain to his "ignore list". tongue.png

Some people just don;t seem capable of understanding how others perceive them.whistling.gif