Thai Police Rescue 1,300 Caged Dogs From Smugglers

webfact

They are not released back onto the streets, those that survive are taken to a government shelter in Nakhon Phanom. But don't let the facts get in the way of your uninformed ranting.

And what then? Doesn't the OP says the place in Nakon Phanom is already overcrowded.

Why don't you go help look after them if you are so concerned?

Been through all this before and I still haven't seen any of the animal lovers turn up here and adopt any of these beautiful misunderstood animals which have taken over some places so it's dangerous to even go there.

Got to go back for my fourth rabies and anti tet injection in a couple of weeks after getting bitten by one while riding my bike down the road, only cost a couple of thousand B so far, but what the heck, nothing else to spend it on.

Yep dog lovers unite, PM me and I'll arrange to show you where they are and you can each take several home and give them love and attention.

Strange that in a nominally Buddhist country that it should be foreigners mostly of other persuasions that care more about the welfare of animals (the respect and sanctity of all life and all that. ) But not all , obviously.

• Like 1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are not released back onto the streets, those that survive are taken to a government shelter in Nakhon Phanom. But don't let the facts get in the way of your uninformed ranting.

And what then? Doesn't the OP says the place in Nakon Phanom is already overcrowded.

Why don't you go help look after them if you are so concerned?

Been through all this before and I still haven't seen any of the animal lovers turn up here and adopt any of these beautiful misunderstood animals which have taken over some places so it's dangerous to even go there.

Got to go back for my fourth rabies and anti tet injection in a couple of weeks after getting bitten by one while riding my bike down the road, only cost a couple of thousand B so far, but what the heck, nothing else to spend it on.

Yep dog lovers unite, PM me and I'll arrange to show you where they are and you can each take several home and give them love and attention.

Utterly spurious argument. I dont want a dog thanks. Stray or otherwise, i dont have the lifestyle to keep one let alone all 140,000-300,000 strays living around bangkok. It doesnt mean im going to treat the dogs i see like crap though just because i cant keep one of them, does it?

Charity and compassion are the weirdest things. You can never do enough to shut the people up who would rather do nothing. "You care about people and gave that poor woman with her kid 20 baht! well thats going to do nothing! why not 100? why not 1000? Why dont you take her off the streets and give her a home? And why just her, why not everyone living rough? Arent you a hypocrite if youre not spending all your time and all your wages feeding the homeless?..." Spurious crap.

Edited by weecree
  • Like 1

remember they wont do anything,might be an uncle re-incarnated,now that would freak em out,as for you dog haterd ,remember what people say on here,your just a visitor,if you dont like dogs go back where you come from,

I am in favour of legalising the eating of dogmeat, and stricter measures to prevent cruelty when they are killed. Soi dogs do nobody any good, least of all themselves; a life of scavenging, hunger, disease, and early death.

And you still want to eat them ?

They had a follow up on one of the 1000 plus dog rescues a few months back, A large died due to deseased state they were found in, malnutrion, injuries which did not respond to treatment, etc. It was a typical mouth full of excuses while asking for monies to buy food and build facilities for the rescued dogs.They reported virtually no adoptions from the cantainment area where the dogs are held.

It almost sounded like the more humane way would have been, transport across the border for the cooking pot.

• Like 1

It is illegal because if you want to take a dog to Vietnam you will have to have it microchipped, vaccinated against rabies and get an export permit and health certificate from the Animal Quarantine Dept. These are normal anti rabies procedures in existing in every country in the world. Thailand and all ASEAN countries have pledged to eradicate rabies by 2020. By allowing the trade the spread of rabies is encouraged. In addition even in Vietnam or Korea where dog meat is not illegal the industry is totally unregulated which has led to outbreaks of Cholera and Trichinosis because of the filthy conditions in the places the dogs are killed.Just as bird flu and swine fever are caused by man's greed, the same is the situation with dog meat. What is horrific about this trade is the conditions the dogs are transported in and what happens to them if they survive the journey. Skinning and boiling alive is not uncommon. Mass sterilization is the only proven answer to controlling the stray dog problem in a country where open euthanasia is contrary to religous beliefs. If foreigners don't like the situation they can always go back to their own countries, where no doubt although happy to not see stray dogs they will be complaining about immigrants in their own lands. Most of the dogs in this trade are now stolen pets as stray dogs are far too difficult to catch.

Perhaps the police could do something about all the aggressive dogs I come in contact with almost every day on my jogging route*?

I'm sure the local police will rush to your aid and solve your proble, thats their job to help expat joggers. YOU WISH

What a waste of manpower & money that would be, I think they have better ways of spending their time than rush to the aid of 1 person in a country of how many million ? If anything its the responsibility of the local councils to contol dog populations I think you will find.

most stupid reply of the month so far...

Is it against the law to eat dog meat or to take them across a border into another country for whatever reason?

it is (against the law) illegal to steal pets from people for any reason...

If Thailand only had an animal control ministry they could go around Thailand and spay/nutter them. Silly to let dogs just breed like rats and make a mess of your country. A large part of the garbage problem comes from the dogs getting into the garbage to find food. Then there is the whole issue of the dogs being road hazzards.

I am all for the dogs being eaten, just make sure they are not mistreated before they are eaten.

if Thailand had only anything in control...sorry i forgot they have but just not enforced

It is illegal because if you want to take a dog to Vietnam you will have to have it microchipped, vaccinated against rabies and get an export permit and health certificate from the Animal Quarantine Dept. These are normal anti rabies procedures in existing in every country in the world. Thailand and all ASEAN countries have pledged to eradicate rabies by 2020. By allowing the trade the spread of rabies is encouraged. In addition even in Vietnam or Korea where dog meat is not illegal the industry is totally unregulated which has led to outbreaks of Cholera and Trichinosis because of the filthy conditions in the places the dogs are killed.Just as bird flu and swine fever are caused by man's greed, the same is the situation with dog meat. What is horrific about this trade is the conditions the dogs are transported in and what happens to them if they survive the journey. Skinning and boiling alive is not uncommon. Mass sterilization is the only proven answer to controlling the stray dog problem in a country where open euthanasia is contrary to religous beliefs. If foreigners don't like the situation they can always go back to their own countries, where no doubt although happy to not see stray dogs they will be complaining about immigrants in their own lands. Most of the dogs in this trade are now stolen pets as stray dogs are far too difficult to catch.

i would love to see if anyone wold try to "steel" my both babies...good luck to survive

If Thailand only had an animal control ministry they could go around Thailand and spay/nutter them. Silly to let dogs just breed like rats and make a mess of your country. A large part of the garbage problem comes from the dogs getting into the garbage to find food. Then there is the whole issue of the dogs being road hazzards.

I am all for the dogs being eaten, just make sure they are not mistreated before they are eaten.

if Thailand had only anything in control...sorry i forgot they have but just not enforced

Let alone the elephant in the room/on the streets, so to speak sad.png

I have 3 Golden retrievers in Issan and thanks to them: they have alerted us when we have snakes in the house 3 times. All the farmers of the village are appreciating their dogs: none a house with at least a dog.

we love dogs and if you drive slower you will have no problem with dogs: simply horn to alert. As conclusion, you drive too fast.

• Like 1

Not to be unsympathetic towards animals being treated poorly, but what will happen to them now ?

Will they be released back onto the streets ? or sold onto neighbouring countries though 'agreed' channels this time ?

This whole issue comes from a 'non-cull' in the first place. Is it not more kind to control the numbers than to the permit the stray population to expand beyond control to such a degree whereby its even profitable for the streets are periodically 'cleared' by these 'meat wagons' and 'canine traffickers' ?

Interesting enough Sakon Nakhon is well known in Thailand for it's love of dog meat so i guess" what's grown at home - stays at home".

Is it against the law to eat dog meat or to take them across a border into another country for whatever reason?

it is (against the law) illegal to steal pets from people for any reason...
It is against the law to steal anything ...including jobs

I wish more people would eat them here in Thailand. I spent about 5 months in China and Vietnam and noticed there were hardly any dogs walking the streets there. Probably too scared to go out in case they were invited home to someone's home for "dinner".

• Like 2

we love dogs and if you drive slower you will have no problem with dogs: simply horn to alert. As conclusion, you drive too fast.

Fair do's. Except my g/f was bitten when we were walking. As are most others I suspect.

• Like 2

I am in favour of legalising the eating of dogmeat, and stricter measures to prevent cruelty when they are killed. Soi dogs do nobody any good, least of all themselves; a life of scavenging, hunger, disease, and early death.

What a silly remark!

No, of course I don't want to eat them.... but what you eat is up to you, and the same, within the law, applies to others.

Fair do's. Except my g/f was bitten when we were walking. As are most others I suspect.

I was bitten twice while walking on the streets of Chiangmai, and neither time was it a soi dog. Once, I was actually walking my Bangkaew who, contrary to his nature, stood by and watched.

But I don't blame the dogs; I blame the owners.

I was bitten twice while walking on the streets of Chiangmai, and neither time was it a soi dog. Once, I was actually walking my Bangkaew who, contrary to his nature, stood by and watched.

But I don't blame the dogs; I blame the owners.

Yes , the same. We were walking along the main drag in Cha-Am. Not exactly a soi dog but a street dog nevertheless, ,i.e. without an owner. Something really ought to be done about the problem in the most humane way possible.

What a silly remark!

No, of course I don't want to eat them.... but what you eat is up to you, and the same, within the law, applies to others.

Why is it silly, when by your own account you are advocating eating them whilst at the same time saying that many are disease ridden. Recently throughout Europe there has been a problem with meat (beef,etc) being labelled as such but actually being horse meat. Deception and sensibilities apart, the real health concern was that a percentage of them were slaughtered through having disease. It really isn't a question of taking a callous laissez-faire aprroach. It's a public health issue.

Just make it legal to eat / export dog meat and impose the same controls as any other meat.

It's just meat.

Lets just cut you up. You are also only meat.

Fortunately, there is a law against killing and eating humans.

Some people keep rabbits as pets. I love rabbit meat and used to get it at college in rabbit pie. Delicious!

• Like 2

I would never eat dog meat knowing that it could have been:

a.) a mangy animal with disease

b.) freshly dug up from a shallow grave

c.) someone's pet

Which I'm sure most of these dogs are. That, and I love dogs... I just can't see myself eating one in any condition.

Not to be unsympathetic towards animals being treated poorly, but what will happen to them now ?

Will they be released back onto the streets ? or sold onto neighbouring countries though 'agreed' channels this time ?

This whole issue comes from a 'non-cull' in the first place. Is it not more kind to control the numbers than to the permit the stray population to expand beyond control to such a degree whereby its even profitable for the streets are periodically 'cleared' by these 'meat wagons' and 'canine traffickers' ?

Exactly. What about a follow up story of where these poor animals end up?