Criminal Background Check Advice

Hello all,

Back in Thailand now after finishing my degree. I have a new job and all is well, but I have a question.

My employer has asked me to get a criminal background check done. This is fine as I have nothing to hide. However my situation is giving me a bit of a headache. I am a British citizen with Australian permanent residency status. Basically from age dot to the age of eleven I lived in England, I then went to live in Australia with my mum and dad. My employer seems to think I should get checks from both countries. I have NEVER returned to England since we left, that's almost 30 years ago! I can understand the Aussie check being needed, and that all seems pretty straight forward, but the U.K one? He seems to think that me turning up with a British passport and only an Aussie check could cause headaches. I understand his point of view...but would like peoples thoughts...

I was eleven when I left....what could I have possibly done? I was considered a minor at that age????

Cheers

But your passport isn't going to show you left at 11 so they will have no proof of that. You will need both. Anytime I need a criminal background check I do both Thai and the US since I have been living here most of the last 13 years.

You probably know this, but the respective embassies can provide these.

Edited by NomadJoe

Not sure how relevant this is, but my background is that I was born in Oz but moved to Canada at age 13 yet still use my Australian passport. I've now been living in Singapore for more than 10 years as a permanent resident with Australian citizenship (I got Canadian citizenship at age 30, but that passport has long since expired). I have had to get background checks / security clearances for a number of jobs and special government projects in both Canada and Singapore over the years. And the most I had to do re, my life in Australia was list the schools I attended there as a child. It has never been a problem. [And I had the highest level security clearance available to civilians in Canada.] Every employer/agency that has requested a check has not been interested in my life in Australia before the age of 13.

CRB doesn't exist any more although most people still refer to it as such. Its now called DBS. https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/overview You can't apply for this by yourself. It must be done by the employer. It can be done online however.

Another way of getting checked (If you need a check to specifically work with children) is the new international Child Protection Certificate http://www.acro.police.uk/ICPC/ This you can request yourself and have the results sent to the employer.

CRB doesn't exist any more although most people still refer to it as such. Its now called DBS. https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/overview You can't apply for this by yourself. It must be done by the employer. It can be done online however.

Another way of getting checked (If you need a check to specifically work with children) is the new international Child Protection Certificate http://www.acro.police.uk/ICPC/ This you can request yourself and have the results sent to the employer.

for OP

I used the ACRO link posted above by spaffy last week.

all the details are online, you can download the forms but you have to post / courier them to UK.

Its all straightforward and i got mine processed within 2 days for the premium service fee of £80

i think the 10 day process time was £10.

it cant be done online or paid for online except for int banking tx.

also possible sticking point is the countersignature of a british citizen which is required as in a first application for a pssport.

i was very happy with the service they provided.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought police checks were only valid if they are not older than six months (or am I thinking of something else?). In which case it seems pointless to need a criminal background check from a country you haven't stepped foot in within the past half year.

I don't know the time limit before the authorities believe the criminal record check has expired, but they do expire. They want to know if you have ever had a criminal conviction.

I know people who would have a clean criminal record check 5 years ago, but wouldn't have one now.