Thai Internet Banking - Best For English Language Option?

I will shortly be opening my first Thai bank account and was wondering which in your opinion is good for English language version of their internet banking pages. Bangkok Bank seem to cater for expats as checking out their web site is impressive in that they clearly cater for expats. And of course they offer a cost effective way of transferring my UK pension into any Thai bank account.

But how are the other banks in your experience in terms of pages/instructions in English?

I have been with Siam Commercial Bank since 2000. Their Internet banking has come along way over the past few years. I use SCB Internet banking all over the world both on computers and on my iPhone where the app works perfectly. Never have had a problem. I only use English by the way.

• Like 1

My preference is Kasikorn. My only other experience was Krung Thai and that was a miserable failure.

I use my several KBank accounts to transfer money, mobile phone top ups and bill paying. EN is clear and had no problems knowing what to do. Unlike Krung Thai.

When it comes to the amount of English information on Thai bank web sites, there is not even a close second to Bangkok Bank. Now this is not to say the core online ibanking module of various Thai banks are not approximately equal, but when it comes to across-the-board banking information Bangkok Bank has all the other banks clearly beat....and Bangkok Bank's presence in some other countries (like the UK and US) also makes it cheaper/easier to transfer money to Thailand.

• Like 2

When it comes to the amount of English information on Thai bank web sites, there is not even a close second to Bangkok Bank. Now this is not to say the core online ibanking module of various Thai banks are not approximately equal, but when it comes to across-the-board banking information Bangkok Bank has all the other banks clearly beat....and Bangkok Bank's presence in some other countries (like the UK and US) also makes it cheaper/easier to transfer money to Thailand.

Yes I have to agree based on my limited research of the subject. The information in English is as clear as crystal and as you say the London branch makes it cheaper for me to transfer GBP into a Thai baht account. Tell me this if you can.....is it right that as an expat you can only open an account with them at their main branch in Bangkok? I think I read that somewhere but now I can't find it ..... Doh!!!!

Yes I have to agree based on my limited research of the subject. The information in English is as clear as crystal and as you say the London branch makes it cheaper for me to transfer GBP into a Thai baht account. Tell me this if you can.....is it right that as an expat you can only open an account with them at their main branch in Bangkok? I think I read that somewhere but now I can't find it ..... Doh!!!!

I have just answered or about to answer rather my own question, I just phoned the London office of BKK Bank and was told that as an expat I need to open in BKK at the HO - something to do with more English speakers there.

Nope, not right about "only" being able to open a Bangkok Bank account at their main branch in Bangkok on Silom Rd on the first floor of the Hq Bangkok Bank building. You can open an account at any branch in the country...not to imply some may not want to see a work permit or a long term visa which is "not" a requirement to open an account...but based on ThaiVisa posts some branches of "every Thai bank" seem to play this game. What to do then?---just go to the next branch and apply.

Heck I've got four Bangkok Bank accounts for regular savings and fixed savings accounts at different branches to include the main branch you reference...and the account at the main branch was the last one I opened and only recently.

I have just answered or about to answer rather my own question, I just phoned the London office of BKK Bank and was told that as an expat I need to open in BKK at the HO - something to do with more English speakers there.

Probably true about more English speakers at the main branch as farangs are a dime a dozen in central Bangkok, but you can open an account at any branch although some may want to see a work permit or long term visa.

• Like 1

Nope, not right about "only" being able to open a Bangkok Bank account at their main branch in Bangkok on Silom Rd on the first floor of the Hq Bangkok Bank building. You can open an account at any branch in the country...not to imply some may not want to see a work permit or a long term visa which is "not" a requirement to open an account...but based on ThaiVisa posts some branches of "every Thai bank" seem to play this game. What to do then?---just go to the next branch and apply.

Heck I've got four Bangkok Bank accounts for regular savings and fixed savings accounts at different branches to include the main branch you reference...and the account at the main branch was the last one I opened and only recently.

Ha ha ha!!! Thanks for the info but it does't surprise me - the nice lady at their London branch was Thai and I quickly found, like all you experienced expats found years ago, that Thailand info depends who you speak to and when. One person can be told one thing one day and another person another thing another day if you get what I mean laugh.png

Forget BKK bank, Internet banking (Cyber banking) is much more user friendly and efficient than BKK bank at K-bank. I had an account for 12 years with BKK bank but changed to K-bank and I am extremely happy with it. I do all my payments via internet and all my funds come in from overseas to K-bank. Very efficient and competent. Any ex-pat can open an account by the way, also it is always better to transfer the cash in foreign currency, if you transfer in Thai Baht you will lose on the exchange rate

Forget BKK bank, Internet banking (Cyber banking) is much more user friendly and efficient than BKK bank at K-bank. I had an account for 12 years with BKK bank but changed to K-bank and I am extremely happy with it. I do all my payments via internet and all my funds come in from overseas to K-bank. Very efficient and competent. Any ex-pat can open an account by the way, also it is always better to transfer the cash in foreign currency, if you transfer in Thai Baht you will lose on the exchange rate

I have been a happy user of Kasikorn for many years now. The web service is easy to use and I pay all my bills, transfer money and top up my mobile phone through it. I even have a virtual Visa card to purchase things off the net. Only problem is I can't seem to pay TOT through Kasikorn! but everything else is great.

Chris

I have been a happy user of Kasikorn for many years now. The web service is easy to use and I pay all my bills, transfer money and top up my mobile phone through it. I even have a virtual Visa card to purchase things off the net. Only problem is I can't seem to pay TOT through Kasikorn! but everything else is great.

Chris

Chris

Use Kasikorn Cyberbanking and am very satisfied with it. Also the call-centre can be recommended; once lost a password while in europe; called and within 2 hours everything fixedsmile.png

My preference is Kasikorn. My only other experience was Krung Thai and that was a miserable failure.

I use my several KBank accounts to transfer money, mobile phone top ups and bill paying. EN is clear and had no problems knowing what to do. Unlike Krung Thai.

+1

I have used Kasikorn for years and very easy, safe and reliable.

Good service at the branch too.

When overseas I use a 2 password system which has less options than are available when using it in Thailand with the One Time password by phone.

This is for security reaons and is mainly the inability to set up new accounts to transfer to / from which is good.

On the few occasions I have had issues I have called them with Skype and had it sorted promptly

Edited by thaimite

I'm sorry but I have found that you cannot survive in Thailand with only one Thai bank account since not all banks will allow you to cover all things

For instance, my SCB account will not allow me to pay my TOT bill online, yet my Bangkok Bank will, on the other hand if I want auto debit to pay my TOT bill SCB will accommodate me

So I would recommend to the OP that he determine exactly what he wants to do with his online banking in Thailand and pick one that will satisfy his needs

Even though he is most interested in online banking, he should also pick a bank and branch based upon his location, since your "home" branch is where you will have to go if anything goes wrong. I recommend a branch in a shopping mall, since they are open at irregular hours

• Like 1

Yes, since some administrative issues, like updating your passport number, getting a new passbook, and numerous other administrative issues, etc,, can "only" be handled at your home branch, picking a branch close to your residence has definite advantages. Things you could do at most any branch of a western chain bank, but that just don't occur in the Thai banking system....to a degree each branch is its own little kingdom with ties to all the other little kingdoms and it headquarters. However, I haven't been following my own advice since the 3 branches I have 4 accounts are not that close to me....it just turned out this way due to various reasons, but they are all within 30-45 minutes driving distance and I drive to their areas almost weekly for one reason or another.

If you pick a branch at a mall be sure it's a full service branch as many of the small branches/outlets at malls are not full service branches...it still may meet all your needs for basic services, but it may not have some occasional/specific services you may need.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

I use both SCB and BKB and both seem to be very English/user friendly. I use both since, for some reason, you can pay some bills one one that you can't pay on the other.

Use internet banking TMB and haven't had any problems.

Just looking at the TMB website it appears on a quick pass to have an easily understandable and straightforward style.

Several other bank websites, their English comes out either obscure and/or strangulated. Not a bad place to start when considering internet usability.