How To Block Certain Sites Appearing In Google Searches With Firefox

thaimite

One of my pet hates are sites that take your Google search, and return the seemingly perfect result by rearranging the terms and returning it in your results. I have now learned to recognise many of these sites, but it would be great to be able to exclude them all together.

Today while browsing I saw this great looking extension for Google Chrome

Personal Blocklist is a Chrome extension that allows you to block sites from showing up in results when using Google Search.

The trouble is I am a currently confirmed Firefox user because of the way it handles the FeedSidebar extension handles RSS feeds (see my other post today).

Thus is anybody aware of a similar extension for Firefox? If it works for other search engines as well that would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.and suggestions

If you want an extension that allows you to block sites from showing up in results when using Google Search then I guess you want the Firefox extension called Hide Unwanted Results of Google Search

Sorry. I really must try not to be so sarcastic. biggrin.png

Yeah, That could be the one. Thankssmile.png

have you tried it?

Don't worry about the sarcasm, I do it all the time, and am not even looking ofr a cure

If you want an extension that allows you to block sites from showing up in results when using Google Search then I guess you want the Firefox extension called Hide Unwanted Results of Google Search

Sorry. I really must try not to be so sarcastic. biggrin.png

Yeah, That could be the one. Thanks:)

have you tried it?

Don't worry about the sarcasm, I do it all the time, and am not even looking ofr a cure

biggrin.png

No - haven't tried it, simply Googled it!

But it does look useful, so I might add it to my current 85 extensions. w00t.gif

My pet hate is when you google something like "symptoms brain tumour" you get yahoo answers with a page full of halfwits saying things like "i dunno maybe sore head lol". There used to be a feature in google itself where you could click on the site, go back in your browser and there was the option to exclude that site from future results but that feature seems to have disappeared.

• Like 1

My pet hate is when you google something like "symptoms brain tumour" you get yahoo answers with a page full of halfwits saying things like "i dunno maybe sore head lol". There used to be a feature in google itself where you could click on the site, go back in your browser and there was the option to exclude that site from future results but that feature seems to have disappeared.

Yes I read that this feature is no longer available from Google.

Thanks to our Nuclear Member for his Googling, I have installed the recommended add-on and will report back.

Normally I would been a bit more persistant in my own Googling but was a bit under pressure today and feeling lazy. So many thanks

Everything I've googled recently always seems to return three pages of adverts and no useful information.

I have the same experience and for that reason started using a new search engine called duckduckgo. It is not always right either but at least it doesn't track me while using it.

almost sounds like a case of spyware that got installed in your browser somewhere if it keeps going back to the same results. FF recommends ADW Cleaner which does work,.

I recommend just to be sure : RogueKiller and Combofix were amazing, the others are just good. Dr Web is hard to beat too.

I"ve also used the duckduckgo search engine with the superbird browser, i have no idea how good the results are, is does work.

FixMebRoot

FRST.exe

RogueKiller

combofix

winlogoncf

ccleaner is always good

Dr Web free scan and cleaner is awesome.

spybot search and destroy

malwarebytes.

Edited by gr8fldanielle

almost sounds like a case of spyware that got installed in your browser somewhere if it keeps going back to the same results. FF recommends ADW Cleaner which does work,.

I recommend just to be sure : RogueKiller and Combofix were amazing, the others are just good. Dr Web is hard to beat too.

I"ve also used the duckduckgo search engine with the superbird browser, i have no idea how good the results are, is does work.

FixMebRoot

FRST.exe

RogueKiller

combofix

winlogoncf

ccleaner is always good

Dr Web free scan and cleaner is awesome.

spybot search and destroy

malwarebytes.

Thanks for the tip,but definitely not the case.

The sites concerned are ones that regularly turn up for the sort of searches Ido, and I know from the wasted hours on them not to waste my time on them in future.

They are not spam or other time wasting sites just totally irrelevent to my interests

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to know about brain tumors PM me I will tell you more that a neuro can

Thanks for this topic! I use Chrome and didn't know about the Personal Blocklist extension. I'll give it a try.

Any time I search for any useful information on anything, the first few pages are almost all links to Amazon.com books, so I usually have to redefine my search to exclude Amazon. I'll try blocking Amazon, and see if I can get relevant search results more easily.

If I really want to buy a book on a subject, I'll just go to Amazon.com, and search for it there. tongue.png

I just added "answers.yahoo.com" to the block list... and it works! No more silly answers from halfwits. biggrin.png