Getting A Visa To The Us

Hi,

I was hoping some one could answer a few questions.

Here is some background information.

I just got married last week. My wife is 24, who I did meet in a bar 2 years ago. Since then, I have visited Thailand 6 times. I have a year lease on a condo here and I signed the lease back in Janurary. She is living with me here. I only have tourist visas in my passport. Most of the times I would visit here for 2 weeks, this time I'm staying for 2 1/2 months. We've been to Hong Kong, Chang Mai, Mainland China, and Cambodia together.

My questions are, is it going to be difficult to get her a visa to come to the US? Obviously I don't want to say I met her in a bar, so what does some one say when asked this question in the interview? And my last question is, how long can she stay in the US on a visa? I mean if I want her to stay in the US with me for a couple of years is it possible since we are married? Does the embassy look down on bringing your wife back to the states to stay?

Thanks for your help,

Brett

Hi,

I was hoping some one could answer a few questions.

Here is some background information.

I just got married last week. My wife is 24, who I did meet in a bar 2 years ago. Since then, I have visited Thailand 6 times. I have a year lease on a condo here and I signed the lease back in Janurary. She is living with me here. I only have tourist visas in my passport. Most of the times I would visit here for 2 weeks, this time I'm staying for 2 1/2 months. We've been to Hong Kong, Chang Mai, Mainland China, and Cambodia together.

My questions are, is it going to be difficult to get her a visa to come to the US? Obviously I don't want to say I met her in a bar, so what does some one say when asked this question in the interview? And my last question is, how long can she stay in the US on a visa? I mean if I want her to stay in the US with me for a couple of years is it possible since we are married? Does the embassy look down on bringing your wife back to the states to stay?

Thanks for your help,

Brett

i believe you have 2 options,1) tourist visa, 2) K3 marriage visa. 1) takes about 2-3 weeks and costs about 4000 bhat but she will need strong proof she will come back to thailand such as money in bank, land, kids, etc. if she gets that visa she can probably stay in the US for 3months per visit.

the K3 visa takes 6-8 months and costs about 40,000 bhat but if she gets it she can stay and work in the US permenently.

If you want to take your wife to the US, as a spouse, then see How Do I Become a K-Nonimmigrant as the Spouse or Child of a U.S. Citizen? (K-3 and K-4 Visa Classifications).

See also Kvisa.

If you are not resident anywhere outside the US then it may be difficult for her to obtain a visitor visa to the US. See Help For U.s. Visitors Visa, Thai National Wife.

Edited by vinny

Quick and easy answer: if you want her to live in the US with you you will have to apply for the marriage visa. If you both plan on staying in Thailand then try for the tourist visa. But, if she even gets the tourist visa her stay in the US is limited to a max of 6 months.

Quick and easy answer: if you want her to live in the US with you you will have to apply for the marriage visa. If you both plan on staying in Thailand then try for the tourist visa. But, if she even gets the tourist visa her stay in the US is limited to a max of 6 months.

are you saying 6 months per trip or 6 months for ever?

The vistor's B1/B2 (B1 for business or B2 for pleasure/medical treatment) visa may be for multiple entries and can be used until its expiry date, up to a maximum of ten years. The US immigration officer determines the length of stay a vistor is allowed, up to a maximum period of six months per visit.

For more information, see Duration & Extension of Stay in the U.S -How the Visa Expiration Date is Different.