4G News & Developments

Since Thailand has its first 4G commercial launch, maybe time to create a new thread

(see Nation New Report )

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/True-Move-launches-4G-service-30205669.html

Looking at the true web site , 4G / LTE coverage "within May 2013" will be or is central bangkok and Airport.

post-25605-0-72669900-1368026257_thumb.j

Devices - only a few ( nokia and Sony ) , my guess Apple will need to send a Carrier update before apple devices can be used.

post-25605-0-11693800-1368025857_thumb.j

Looking at 3G ( the new kindergarten ) it interesting to see the current publicly announced status'

AIS claim 3000 sites @ less than 1/2 the propagation of 850 Mhz = 1500 apple to apple sites ( benchmarking to 850 )

True Claimed 13,000 existing base stations

Will be interesting to see DTAC's coming out of the closet tomorrow.

Is this really 'true' 4G?

Afaik, LTE networks are based on an all-IP based network, and not the typical packet-switching networks (2G/3G etc.)?

Not really sure of the technicalities, as to whether the upgrade is hardware or purely software-based, but nevertheless, a upgrade is necessary.

Have they done this already?

Afaik, LTE networks are based on an all-IP based network, and not the typical packet-switching networks (2G/3G etc.)?

Not really sure of the technicalities, as to whether the upgrade is hardware or purely software-based, but nevertheless, a upgrade is necessary.

3G on Packet Switching ? Dunno, but I am pretty sure 3G is IP based. In addition all the operators have just installed their core networks, and as such am sure all would be IP and LTE ready. No one in their right mind would invest in a almost 10 year old technology ( 3G ) without having a clear planned upgrade path.

Edited by skippybangkok

Battery discussions:- will LTE consumer more battery ?

I think the real question is battery consumption per MB download. If you downloading 5x faster, but chewing battery 2x faster , then LTE would be more battery efficient?

For me its a non issue - I am not going to upload 5 or 10x more Facebook pictures or read 20x more TV posts cause my Internet is faster. My bet is I would use a similar GB/month , only difference is I don't have to wait for it to load as I do now.

Just a thought, guess will see when I can use it.

From Apple web site on iPhone 5

Standby time: Up to 225 hours

Internet use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 8 hours on LTE, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi

So apple is saying consumption is same .... Would love to hear from people who have used LTE.

The issue of battery life on LTE is more of an issue with mobile phone manufacturers than with the standard itself.
But yes, LTE data transfers do consume more battery life.

However, the two most important factors that affect battery life are the display & no. of processors.

I believe mobile display technologies, have come a long way, not to mention, mobile processors with lower power consumption esp. ARM.

Display technologies such as in the link below, will also lead to thinner form factors :)

http://www.itworld.com/mobile-wireless/310096/mobile-displays-will-get-even-thinner-and-more-energy-efficient

To answer your last message, I think the attached pic answers it

38 Meg download

21 Meg upload

Was LTE sign next to signal bar in Sony Xperia

Best real world results I have seen on 3G HSPDA is 8 to 10 meg.

Was at iStudio at Siam Discovery, and popped up to True Shop on third floor. Down side I can't use as my Nokia 920 is according to them wrong firm ware, so need to go to Nokia to get upgrade ( 100 baht ). Recon I will wait till iPhone 5 carrier upgrade comes thru ( Apple... Are u listening? ).

post-25605-0-15434000-1368100261_thumb.j

Ps. When I finally get to try it, I am going to do a test on 3G and 4G and load the same file ( I.e. 100 meg ) and then record battery staus. My gut feeling is no diff. I expect LTE to eat power faster, but also be done faster with the loading.

Edited by skippybangkok
  • Like 1

False advertising ?

Was on the BTS today, coming for my daily cup of coffee down town.

In the train I was watching an advert from DTAC which finished with "Tri band 2G/3G/4G "

After a lovely coffee, dropped by the DTAC shop to enquire about 4G and how to subscribe , they had no sim, and staff had no clue when 4G would be available.

I smell a Marketing Rat. Why in Thailand do companies make such adverts ? Or can some one tell me if they really have 4G ?

jEEZE ..Skippy.......YOU really have a bee in your bonnet about DTAC did they piss n your cornflakes or something?

Can i ask what frequency True are using for 4g and how long are they going to be in possession of said frequency presuming it's theirs and not CAT's?

jEEZE ..Skippy.......YOU really have a bee in your bonnet about DTAC did they piss n your cornflakes or something?

Can i ask what frequency True are using for 4g and how long are they going to be in possession of said frequency presuming it's theirs and not CAT's?

No, you and the English Ajarn did- quote "DTAC has arguably the best 3G network" - was just a load of dollop from DTAC marketing materials, not fact based. You guys still haven't answer how that's possible with only 15% of the the coverage compared to True )

Anyway, this is a 4G thread. Interestingly Dtac is clearly lying in their adverts.

They show "4G" in big letters, but when u drill down to the fine print, it says " Dtac equipment supports LTE" ( most likely meaning one day we can upgrade but we don't have it yet )

I wonder how long it will take until the consumer protection board latches on ?

post-25605-13687095897776_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

post-25605-0-78744200-1370792772_thumb.j

33.5 M download, 14++ Upload......... Waow !

4G on True Move H in Paragon today - Amazing...... cant wait till more of Bangkok rolls out.

Downloaded Thaivisa app ( about 3 MB on android ) - want to count how many seconds to download, did not even get to "1".

Doubt i will use more data, not gonna read more, but its cool its there at your finger tips when you want it, and not having to wait.

Way to Go !.... now waiting for iPhone / iPad.

p.s. just saw hosted on Lao Telecom, forgot to select BKK, should have been better ??

Edited by skippybangkok

I worry a bit that your results with LTE will diminish once the system becomes active. Very few people are using/have lte handsets, so the system is nowhere near saturation.

In most places in the West where LTE is rolled out, real life LTE speeds average double of what 3G+ gets them (3G: 5 - 8 Mbps, 4G,: 12 - 16 Mbps) still pretty good of course, but much less then what you get!

I've seen consistently over 17 Mbps doing a big download on my True-H simcard using a 42 Mbps ZTE dongle, but this was 4 o'clock in the morning when not too many were using the system/making phone calls on the network.

I suggest some of you touting true 4g service in thailand learn a little more about 4g lte. Its a totally different chipset in the phone using ip packet technology with the infrastructure to use it which thailand doesnt have. They cant even get 3g speeds except in very small service areas with the antiquated telecoms system they are trying to use to sell (scam) to their customers.

I suggest some of you touting true 4g service in thailand learn a little more about 4g lte. Its a totally different chipset in the phone using ip packet technology with the infrastructure to use it which thailand doesnt have. They cant even get 3g speeds except in very small service areas with the antiquated telecoms system they are trying to use to sell (scam) to their customers.

Maybe you need to keep yourself updated. True do do 4g

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Maybe you need to keep yourself updated. True do do 4g

Cheers ThaiCBR.... My head is still shaking in dis belief. Usually the best is to hear him out, the deeper he gets into it, it will flush out the kawaffle.

Maybe as a start, Apple does not open 4G carrier for an operator unless they have inspected and approved the network performance. As such, you can't ( not sure about jail break ) use an iPhone or iPad on any 4G network unless apple opens up the carrier

So Apple is confident True meets their 4G requirements, so will be interesting to see the OP who feels he knows more than Apple.

Edited by skippybangkok

Some peoples id names fit them perfectly, go right ahead buy it and pay for it, true will love taking your money. There's another sucker born every minute.

All thunder no thought :lol:

TrueMove H is offering 4G/LTE here in select areas: parts of metro-Bangkok and in the vicinity of SBIA/BKK on Band 1/2100 MHz.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/coverage4g

For Apple products you'd need one of the following:

iPhone 5: GSM A1429
iPad 4: A1460
iPad Mini: A1455
Other Band 1 compatible products: http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/4g/shopping
There may be specific firmware updates required for some/all of these devices in order to work with TrueMove H's new 4G service.
Edited by lomatopo

Okay the gang mentality of thai visa rears its ugly head as usual with nothing to back up their claims of knowing technology. http://www.whatsag.com/ I suggest you read the second to last paragraph which will tell you why trues marketing will make them lots of money without providing any service close to lte speeds outside a few switches located inside bkk. It has taken 10 years for thailand to implement 3g which still is worthless outside major cities due to lack of infrastructure, yet you claim 4g is here now lol. I suggest you read the local papers and view the articles of massive complaints by customers to the ntsb on 3g speeds not living up to advertised claims made by the 3 telecoms here in thailand. Your 20k baht phone is an expensive brick. Enjoy it. Stupid is as stupid does.

massive complaints by customers to the ntsb

Why would people be complaining to the National Transportation Safety Board, in the U.S. no less, regarding 3G performance in Thailand?

Clearly we've struck a raw nerve with you on this subject, hence your need to insult us.

I was merely detailing TrueMove H's 4G service, and the required hardware. I have physically used a colleague's iPhone 5 on TrueMove H 4G service here in Bangkok, and it worked quite well.

Personally, I use both DTAC 3G and TrueMove H (CAT/850 MHz) 3G, and have been a satisfied customer for two years.

post-9615-0-02008400-1371702185_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

Okay the gang mentality of thai visa rears its ugly head as usual with nothing to back up their claims of knowing technology. http://www.whatsag.com/ I suggest you read the second to last paragraph which will tell you why trues marketing will make them lots of money without providing any service close to lte speeds outside a few switches located inside bkk. It has taken 10 years for thailand to implement 3g which still is worthless outside major cities due to lack of infrastructure, yet you claim 4g is here now lol. I suggest you read the local papers and view the articles of massive complaints by customers to the ntsb on 3g speeds not living up to advertised claims made by the 3 telecoms here in thailand. Your 20k baht phone is an expensive brick. Enjoy it. Stupid is as stupid does.

No one said True's 4g was nation wide. Only you have implied that. You also stated it wasn't true 4g LTE which it is.

Also all the Thai operators have 3g in one form or another. Yes they have had teaving problems but with the current 2100mhz expansion coverage should get better. I also use True h 3g and Dtac ( waiting patiently for tri whatever :D)

See alot of accusations flying, might distract the kiddies, but not people who know the industry well.

Apple as opened up the carrier for True Corp, which means Apple ( one of the most respected Tech companies in the world ) by default certified that True's 4G is 4G compliant and on par with other 4G operators in the world

Since your saying its not, your inferring that every operator world wide offering LTE/4G using apple devices is not real 4G

Yes, the offering is only down town bangkok, and thats clearly stated in their materials. I believe 4G will cover the whole BMA end of this year.

^ This coming from a guy who has another thread going about how bad his 3g service is lol. again 10 years for crap 3g service but one year and 4g will be here hahahaha.

10 years to get the correct license issued. Now it's issued why not 1 year for reasonable 4g coverage. Happened in the UK with EE.

I don't think it will happen ( maybe 2 years) but it's possible.

^ This coming from a guy who has another thread going about how bad his 3g service is lol. again 10 years for crap 3g service but one year and 4g will be here hahahaha.

Trolling is against Thai Visa code of conduct.

It clear your waffling on with no facts to support you claim. Have not seen one credible fact yet.

• 2 weeks later...