Bangkok Administration Gears Up For Bad Traffic When Schools Reopen

webfact

BMA gears up for bad traffic when schools reopen
TANATPONG KONGSAI
THE NATION

30205727-01_big.jpg

Bangkok City Hall is gearing up for particularly bad traffic once schools reopen next week.

BANGKOK: -- "We're worried about traffic congestion, especially on the first day of school, because this year more than 100,000 vehicles bought under the first-car buyer scheme will be travelling on Bangkok's streets. Plus Skytrain extensions are being constructed in many areas," Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra said after inspecting a school's traffic and safety plans for the beginning of the new academic year.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and Metropolitan Police are planning to work together to manage the traffic flow.

The BMA will station its law-enforcement officers, BMA inspectors and civil-defence volunteers outsides schools during commuting hours.

In addition, fare on the extension of the BTS Sukhumvit line will be reduced to Bt10 from next Friday.

The Traffic and Transportation Department will be handing out some 100,000 crash helmets to student motorcycle drivers to improve safety.

Schools are required to check the condition of their security cameras, electric systems and educational equipment and complete all repairs.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-09

So the traffic will be really bad when the school term starts up? Guess when people complain about how bad it is - you can say "I told you!" Tax money well spent there.

"The Traffic and Transportation Department will be handing out some 100,000 crash helmets to student motorcycle drivers to improve safety" This will help relieve traffic congestion no end.

• Like 1

So the traffic will be really bad when the school term starts up? Guess when people complain about how bad it is - you can say "I told you!" Tax money well spent there.

"The Traffic and Transportation Department will be handing out some 100,000 crash helmets to student motorcycle drivers to improve safety" This will help relieve traffic congestion no end.

Are we talking about the 150 Baht crash helmet?

This will certainly improve safety,.......... on the paper at least

• Like 1

Now would be an appropriate (essential) time for BMA to demand MRT and BTS add the additional carriages of rolling stock if they wish to reduce traffic. But that would be logical, but right now the Mass Transit system is also jammed up. Even until 11:00pm at present queues form to fit onto the trains but there is no relief in sight. They are being forced to go via car (taxi) and the traffic is just as bad and getting worse due to this oversight.

Well, if they'd spent the money on bettering the public transport rather than the first car buyer program, Bangkok's traffic wouldn't be up xxxx creek right now.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity
  • Like 2

Well, if they'd spent the money on bettering the public transport rather than the first car buyer program, Bangkok's traffic wouldn't be up xxxx creek right now.

Not enough votes generated by improving public transpo in Bangkok as they vote democrat

Handing out crash helmets actually could contribute to easing congestion. Congestion is often seen at the scene of traffic accidents and if a crash helmet can save someone from head injury and probably lying in the road until the emergency services arrive, that will be one less incident to contribute to congestion.

• Like 1

To new drivers, travel time can double if you leave too late from home during the start of the academic year. A good day it takes me 25 mins to my work (school), and 50 mins to one hour if I don't leave much earlier at the start of school. Traffic really only seems to ease in the second semester (October/November). Semester 1 is always very heavy, and I think the start of university exacerbates the problem.

• Like 1

To new drivers, travel time can double if you leave too late from home during the start of the academic year. A good day it takes me 25 mins to my work (school), and 50 mins to one hour if I don't leave much earlier at the start of school. Traffic really only seems to ease in the second semester (October/November). Semester 1 is always very heavy, and I think the start of university exacerbates the problem.This

This is very true. It takes me about 20 in normal conditions. It takes over an hour in rush hour. This school year has classes beginning 30 minutes earlier at my school, so I am hoping that leaving a bit earlier might help with the commute. Time will tell (quite literally).

Handing out crash helmets actually could contribute to easing congestion. Congestion is often seen at the scene of traffic accidents and if a crash helmet can save someone from head injury and probably lying in the road until the emergency services arrive, that will be one less incident to contribute to congestion.

The people stuck in traffic jams will be happy to hear this then.

Handing out crash helmets will not help with traffic. Crash helmets don't prevent accidents, but they can prevent death and injury.

The first car thing was a sop for vehicle manufactures who were flooded out and were thinking of getting out of Thailand.

Whether or not it helps with votes remains to be seen as in some cases it has created unsustainable debt.

I doubt whether all 100,000 of the cars bought will be on BKK streets the purchases were spread over the whole country.

Anyway many of the owners will have more sense than to drive in BKK.

The first car thing was a sop for vehicle manufactures who were flooded out and were thinking of getting out of Thailand.

Whether or not it helps with votes remains to be seen as in some cases it has created unsustainable debt.

I doubt whether all 100,000 of the cars bought will be on BKK streets the purchases were spread over the whole country.

I hope you are right, but unfortunately being a new car owner and having common sense seem like they are mutually exclusive.

I hope you are right, but unfortunately being a new car owner and having common sense seem like they are mutually exclusive.

May I remind all here that under the 'first car owner' policy 1.2 million cars were sold rolleyes.gif

May I remind all here that under the 'first car owner' policy 1.2 million cars were sold rolleyes.gif

And 50% will be claimed back from finance companies through non payment/default.

On the good side 2nd hand prices for these cars, especially the eco, priced 400k bracket will be very reasonable, as a glut will be re-sold.

Do not disagree, however, why are they spending tax payers money to provide students with helmets which the law states they must have. If they have the cash for a motorcycle then they have the cash for helmet . This is simply ludicrous.

Enforce the helmet laws, conficate the bikes of repeat offenders, revoke their licences.

Further more the congestion in Bangkok is due to the lack of public infrastructure and not simply the volume of cars busses ,taxi's and trucks and vans.

The public transport system is a bloody disgrace as are the roads, traffic controls and illegal parking.

It was a given that traffic density would increase as the city developed but they spend their money on bloody shoping malls and entertainment centres rather than improving the provisions of public transport.

These people are talking about high speed trains in a country with a majority of single track lines and where public busses are archaic and totally inadequate. As a direct result of this taxi's and mini vans have flourished and added yet again to the conjestion of Bangkok. On three land roads I see frequently busses stopping at bus stops in the middle lane to allow passengers to board or alight and block 2 lanes of a 3 lane road with impunity.

While 1.2 million were sold, it's not necessary that they will all be on the road. My wife got a car under the scheme (she voted for dems anyway lol), but this is our second car. So usually only one car is on the road at anyone time. A lot of other people will be in the same position, but no doubt, the traffic will be worse this year than last year. I'm giving myself 1 and a half hours to travel 17 kms in Nonthaburi:) Normal time is 25 mins.

This week I had to go to a company warehouse near Suvarnaphum. Didn't know where it was so it was arranged for someone to pick me up at the UCL office, RamaIV. Took him almost two hours to get from W.H. to UCL and us 45 min back to W.H. Looking on the map I let them drop me at SRT Airport rail link station Lad Krabang to go back. 10 min to get there and to PhayaThai/Victory Monument/Home 40 mins.

Today I just took the train and sent an SMS "i'm on the way", pickup waiting. All happy!

Now if only we had a few more of such nice public transportation links.

Are we talking about the 150 Baht crash helmet?

This will certainly improve safety,.......... on the paper at least

Might make things worse when they drop them because it's not being worn.