Public Hospital: A Good News Story

gerryBScot

I had a stent in the Urethra replaced at the local hospital and there was almost no waiting time to get the procedure done and the local Urologist was most professional. Above all he has a clinic in Town so I can see him without going via the hospital.

• Like 1

If I'm not getting too personal .... what has this all cost you so far?

Ed just over 30,000 THB and I expect the skin graft will add another 10,000 THB. Just for your information I had nine days in a hospital in the Philippines with cellulitis prior to this; the Necrotising Fasciitis developed as a result of the scar from debridement for cellulitis getting infected. Nine days in a Philippine hospital cost 100,000 THB with one single surgical procedure. Everything right down to needles and swabs was charged there. So I think the Thai public health system can be extremely good and very affordable....comparable in some respects to the UK National Health Service; what I mean is your health comes first, not your ability to pay. I was never asked for a penny during my stay at the hospital and didn't have to deposit funds on admission. I accept quality will vary from province to province and that there will be no shortage of horror stories but I was genuinely impressed by it. As well as saving my life it really has refreshed my jaded and cynical outlook on the LOS.

• Like 2

So to the OP I'd say you were lucky

Yup I was definitely lucky. Absolutely. However my condition could easily have been wrongly diagnosed too, and indeed often is. My surgeon confirmed he cultured the bacteria he removed from my body so he knew exactly what he was treating. Now that's what you are supposed to do but it isn't always done. I was seriously impressed by this young doctor and very lucky that he was on duty when I checked in. I wasn't surprised when he told me yesterday that Friday would be his last day at the hospital as he is going back to BKK for a four year course in Orthopaedics - he'll be a major asset wherever he works.

I wish your mother-in-law all the best and hope they can save her life.

I would also like to thank you for taking your time to tell this story. I have considered becoming self insured because I use the Red Cross Hospital here in Bangkok which is also very reasonable and I am told they have the best new graduate doctors from Chulalongkorn University which is regarded as the best in Thailand. My insurance renewal is almost ready and this tread might help me make the final decision. I can live with a fan instead of air conditioning and all the bells and wistles you get at the private hospitals; they are not really important to me. Hope you are back to normal soon Gary. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

gerryBScott - wow! It was such a pleasure to read about your treatment in the gov. hospital. I've had several good reports about good treatment in gov. hospitals and no end of nightmare accounts about private places; the common one being rip-off charging.

Pattaya International seem to the best one here; I have been many times and they have never been anything other than very caring and professional. Can you tell us the name of the hospital you attended?

• Like 1

I would also like to thank you for taking your time to tell this story. I have considered becoming self insured because I use the Red Cross Hospital here in Bangkok which is also very reasonable and I am told they have the best new graduate doctors from Chulalongkorn University which is regarded as the best in Thailand. My insurance renewal is almost ready and this tread might help me make the final decision. I can live with a fan instead of air conditioning and all the bells and wistles you get at the private hospitals; they are not really important to me. Hope you are back to normal soon Gary. thumbsup.gif

Bob my doctor was from Chulalongkorn University, too. When he suggested immediate surgery I was a bit hesitant and asked him if he had ever treated anything like this before. He said that he was more than happy for me to have a second opinion. I was really impressed by that and said I didn't need a second opinion I just wanted to know he had treated this before and that he knew what he was doing. He said he had and I asked him how many years it had been since he had qualified and he said three and that he went to Chula - I said "Let's do it Doctor, that's good enough for me."

gerryBScott - wow! It was such a pleasure to read about your treatment in the gov. hospital. I've had several good reports about good treatment in gov. hospitals and no end of nightmare accounts about private places; the common one being rip-off charging.

Pattaya International seem to the best one here; I have been many times and they have never been anything other than very caring and professional. Can you tell us the name of the hospital you attended?

Ratchaburi Hospital, about 100 km due west of BKK - Chulalongkorn University has a medical school here so many of their undergraduate and post graduate students work here and many of the doctors are Chula graduates.

• Like 1

I've had two experiences with Thai hospitals.

Back in 2003 my then GF cut her face open on a rock when swimming at Samui. The hospital there was fantastic. Treatment was immediate and they transported her to and fro from our hotel over the next few days for follow up treatment. I cannot remember the cost but the professionalism as well as the level of care far exceeded anything I have ever experienced here in Australia.

The second time I broke my ankle due to a scooter accident. The treatment and professionalism there was outstanding again. On the downside here they only believed it to be a sprained ankle as it wasn't picked up on in the x-ray and when I returned home to Australia my gp freaked as I had been getting around on it for 3 weeks without a cast. I was sent over to the hospital straight away and scans picked up the fracture. This was followed by a 4 week extended holiday due to the fracture which wasn't all that bad lol.

Couldn't fault the health system at all.

• Like 1

I have had the privilege to experience being admitted to a Government Hospital and was most impressed, as other OPs have, at the professionalism shown by all the Staff. Unlike some, I did opt for a private ward, which really does have all the bells and whlstles one receives at a Private Hospital, but at a fraction of the cost of the big Private Hospitals. The treatment and facilities were far superior to those one gets on the NHS in the UK. Well done Thailand.

• Like 1

8 weeks ago I had a mptorcycle accident. I was rushed to my district hpspital in Kuchinarai Kalasin. My left shoulder and left tibia and fibula were broken amd my right big toe was just hanging there. That night my toe was operated on under a local and the next afternoon the shoulder and leg were operated on under a general. When I woke up I thought I would have a cast on my leg, but I didn't, the doctor used pins and staples. I was in the ward for 9 days, no complaints. My wife stayed with me every night. I felt the treatment was excellent. The total bill for what amonted to three operations, 9 nights, the ambulance and two weeks of after hospital drugs was ฿37,500. A few years ago I also spent a week in this hospital and was also very pleased. I have also had a cataract operatiom @ the Kalasin government hospital (฿18,000) and was also very pleased. Oh 8 weeks later all my bones have healed well, I am walking with a walker (which I don't think I need.) And I'm no spring chicken. ( 62). I have no problem going to a government hospital, other than the very big private hospitals most of the private hospital doctors also work in a government hospital.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

gerryBScot. Thank you for posting your experience at a Govt Hospital. Hope your recovery is fast.

On Friday last the 24th April I went to Surin Govt Hospital for a medical checkup. My doctor from his local clinic and also works at the hospital organised the appointment.

Had chest xray, blood tests. ECG. prostrate. Found I had high choresterol. Was given medication Everthing else was okay.

I was very impressed with whole procedure. Cost 2100 baht.

• Like 1

Bob my doctor was from Chulalongkorn University, too. When he suggested immediate surgery I was a bit hesitant and asked him if he had ever treated anything like this before. He said that he was more than happy for me to have a second opinion. I was really impressed by that and said I didn't need a second opinion I just wanted to know he had treated this before and that he knew what he was doing. He said he had and I asked him how many years it had been since he had qualified and he said three and that he went to Chula - I said "Let's do it Doctor, that's good enough for me."

g

erryBScott - wow! It was such a pleasure to read about your treatment in the gov. hospital. I've had several good reports about good treatment in gov. hospitals and no end of nightmare accounts about private places; the common one being rip-off charging.

Ratchaburi Hospital, about 100 km due west of BKK - Chulalongkorn University has a medical school here so many of their undergraduate and post graduate students work here and many of the doctors are Chula graduates.

Ive just finished chemotherapy treatment at Ratchaburi hospital lasting just under 6 months. I must admit that in all that time, I've never come across another westerner there.

Good hospital in my opinion. I used to stay in the chemo ward in a room with 8 beds.....300 baht a day and they would turn the aircon on usually between 10.00 and 16.00 hours each day although the Thais didn't like it saying that it was too cold for them.

Will be seeing the oncologist there on the 22nd of this month.

• Like 2

Ive just finished chemotherapy treatment at Ratchaburi hospital lasting just under 6 months. I must admit that in all that time, I've never come across another westerner there.

Good hospital in my opinion. I used to stay in the chemo ward in a room with 8 beds.....300 baht a day and they would turn the aircon on usually between 10.00 and 16.00 hours each day although the Thais didn't like it saying that it was too cold for them.

We are thin on the ground in these parts! I didn't see any other westerners during my short stay either. It is a good hospital. That was certainly my impression. Not just good doctors and nurses but that they had proper processes, so when the surgeon said he wanted to get my heart checked out, it actually happened and a cardiologist came in next day.

Good luck with your treatment.

I have sworn NEVER to go near any private hospital any more.

Bad experiences, overcharging, very wrong diagnosis....brrrrr

As a professor in the Qeen Sirikit Heart Centre of the Khon Kaen University told me:

"If you want to pay a lot of money, feel free to visit ***Hospital in Khon Kaen, if you want the best possible care for a very much lower price, come to me."

• Like 1

I am very happy for all the posters that took the time to share their experience here.

I live in Chiang Mai and we have a private hospital with the bells and whistles also. Many of the doctors who work there can be found around the corner at a Government hospital where the level of there service equals their service at the expensive Hospital.

The reason I am writing this is because all though the OP got terrific and successful care the Doctor did not have the time to keep him informed on it. With the new government policy of paying per patient seen this can only get worse. At the moment I am looking at a hip and knee replacement. This was suggested by a very good doctor. He travels with the National sports teams. I went for a second opinion with a doctor who is basically retired He works 4 hours a day twice a week he used to be one of the other doctors professors. Now all he does is consultations and he spends the time to explain things to you. I had seen him about 3 years ago when he had his clinic and asked about my foot. The only thing they can do with it is fuse it. The Talus bone is broken and no blood got in so it will not heel and their is a screw holding it together. He looked at it and explained why I should not have it fused if I could still do three things which I could very easily do and he took the time to explain the reasons for not doing it. The doctors back in Canada had just said if you can take the pain don't do it. No other reason given other than it dosen't work 15% of the time.

• Like 2

Good to hear & I hope you are better soon, I have also used the Government Hospital at Nathong on Samui after breaking a finger in a motorbike spill, quick & very professional treatment by the same Surgeons as in the Bangkok hospital on the Island, overnight in hospital plus finger pinned for 17300 Bht, very impressed I would say better treatment than I would have got on the NHS in the UK, no pressure about payment either, only small problem was the language problem with the Nurses but hardly surprising, but they were very caring, & the Doctor & surgeons spoke perfect English. So all in all 10 out of 10 Thailand...

• Like 1

I would also like to thank you for taking your time to tell this story. I have considered becoming self insured because I use the Red Cross Hospital here in Bangkok which is also very reasonable and I am told they have the best new graduate doctors from  Chulalongkorn University which is regarded as the best in Thailand. My insurance renewal is almost ready and this tread might help me make the final decision. I can live with a fan instead of air conditioning and all the bells and wistles you get at the private hospitals; they are not really important to me.  Hope you are back to normal soon Gary.

Pattaya International seem to the best one here; I have been many times and they have never been anything other than very caring and professional. Can you tell us the name of the hospital you attended? 

I have had a family member and a couple of Thai friends treated there too and they have all been happy with the care they received.

We live in Kanchanaburi and wifey has gone there a couple of times because she rates it highly too.

• Like 1

No problem I don't mind. It has in fact cost me not one Baht inclusive of medication. I have a yellow book and get treatment in the public hospital for free. However you have to arrange it before hand

In 2011 during the flood time in Nov/ Dec. My wife was in the middle of having Chemo treatment at Siriraj Hospital in Bangkok. The hospital more or less closed as many of the staff could not attend work due to the flooding in Bangkok. My wife returned home to Singburi, and a few days later her health worsened. The doctor at Siriraj sent her to Ratchaburi Hospital we were there for 8 days.

Total care and attention was first class even though the hospital was totally full with Bankok patients from Siriraj and other hospitals. One night which I thought was going to be her last night on earth, the nurses were angels to her, our 10 year old son and myself. At 2am the young Doctor who was attending to her during the day phoned in to see how see how my wife was and immediately rushed to the Hospital and spent 3 hours with us giving support and advice. Wonderful service.

The Hospiital there was always seemingly doing repairs and maintenance and the place looked new and clean.

Have very kind thoughts of Ratchaburi Hospital. First class.

BAYBOY.

I have had the privilege to experience being admitted to a Government Hospital and was most impressed, as other OPs have, at the professionalism shown by all the Staff. Unlike some, I did opt for a private ward, which really does have all the bells and whlstles one receives at a Private Hospital, but at a fraction of the cost of the big Private Hospitals. The treatment and facilities were far superior to those one gets on the NHS in the UK. Well done Thailand.

i know what a Private hospital is... but can someone please explain what the difference is between a Government hospital and a Public hospital in Thailand ? Thanks

• Like 1

Wife had a gall bladder that needed to be removed. California quote was 70 grand plus hospital stay. Sent her packing to Thailand where her Dads military hospital only charged 5 grand, hospital and medication included. The people in the Thai hospitals spoke more English than in California too. Comprende?

• Like 1

No problem I don't mind. It has in fact cost me not one Baht inclusive of medication. I have a yellow book and get treatment in the public hospital for free. However you have to arrange it before hand

I've heard about the benefit of having a yellow book before (just the once!). When you say you have to arrange it before hand what do you mean? How difficult is it? The yellow book is of no use in the case of an accident? Does the yellow book benefit only apply to the person named in the book? What about other family members at the same address? Sorry for so many questions!

• Like 2

I've heard about the benefit of having a yellow book before (just the once!). When you say you have to arrange it before hand what do you mean? How difficult is it? The yellow book is of no use in the case of an accident? Does the yellow book benefit only apply to the person named in the book? What about other family members at the same address? Sorry for so many questions!

There is a thread here about the yellow book which might answer some of these questions: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/587744-thai-government-insurance-for-husbands-of-thai-national/

i know what a Private hospital is... but can someone please explain what the difference is between a Government hospital and a Public hospital in Thailand ? Thanks

I can't claim to know the exact answer to your question but a government hospital is presumably directly managed and funded by the Ministry of Health; public funding allows for subsidy. So during my treatment I wasn't billed for professional fees, ie for the doctors, nurses etc; thereafter the cost of drugs are subsidised - I was on a very powerful dose of daily intravenous anti-biotics which were billed at 1,200 THB per day; I don't believe this was their true cost which I expect to have been higher. A private hospital is a private company and it's all about profit; so you get billed for everything right down to toilet tissue and the bed pan and every time the nurse changes your i/v you get billed for a new needle etc. No doubt others here will know more....

I can't claim to know the exact answer to your question but a government hospital is presumably directly managed and funded by the Ministry of Health; public funding allows for subsidy. So during my treatment I wasn't billed for professional fees, ie for the doctors, nurses etc; thereafter the cost of drugs are subsidised - I was on a very powerful dose of daily intravenous anti-biotics which were billed at 1,200 THB per day; I don't believe this was their true cost which I expect to have been higher. A private hospital is a private company and it's all about profit; so you get billed for everything right down to toilet tissue and the bed pan and every time the nurse changes your i/v you get billed for a new needle etc. No doubt others here will know more....

A public hospital and a government hospital are one and the something, at least as the terminology is usually used. "Public health services" refer to government supported/managed health services.

So I have no idea what the comment about there being govt hospitals but no "public" hospitals was supposed to mean.

Thailand has government hospitals, for-profit private hospitals and also a smaller number of non-profit private hospitals. Which generally cost in between the rates of the latter.