High Risk Of More Coups In Thailand, Study Says

webfact

The topic is high risk of more coups in Thalland not, "did a coup occur in Thailand" or "do I like the current government in Thailand" or " can democracy work in Thailand." Every thread is turned into an anti government thread for example the above poster wrote, "Any contribution to my question re how to stop the government from destroying the country? Or does this slavish, simplistic attitude of 'we won the election so we can do whatever we want', take precedence?"

Gee, man of course the party that put together a government gets to do whatever they want.

Every government in control is guilty of excesses in the excercise of power you only have to look at the US or UK to confirm that. What one does is vote them out in the next election; not lobby for the violent overthrow of the existing government!

I assume you are being deliberately naive to even compare Thailand with the UK or US.

Your 'vote them out in the next election' makes an assumption that there will be a next election, and that the playing field for that election is the same.

You raise the comparison with 1st world countries. I don't remember the UK having a party which changed the laws so it was immune from prosecution, as well as turn the clock back to nullify any previous convictions.

The 1st world has checks and balances which are relied on to prevent the country being destroyed. Artificially distorting election results by the manipulation of the less well-educated electorate, is obviously a Thai feature.

Hence, a distorted democracy and the mis-use of the responsibility a government is given, makes the ultimate Thai 'check and balance' likely.

Question - if another election is not held before Thailand, people and country, is harmed, what is the alternative?

A mature government that reflects thailand's electorate, rather than the PTP is the answer. So an end to corruption? Not likely.

In the meantime, if the playground antics of the present government are not contained, are the red supporters happy to sit back and watch Thailand slide?

• Like 1

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The topic is high risk of more coups in Thalland not, "did a coup occur in Thailand" or "do I like the current government in Thailand" or " can democracy work in Thailand." Every thread is turned into an anti government thread for example the above poster wrote, "Any contribution to my question re how to stop the government from destroying the country? Or does this slavish, simplistic attitude of 'we won the election so we can do whatever we want', take precedence?"

Gee, man of course the party that put together a government gets to do whatever they want.

Every government in control is guilty of excesses in the excercise of power you only have to look at the US or UK to confirm that. What one does is vote them out in the next election; not lobby for the violent overthrow of the existing government!

I assume you are being deliberately naive to even compare Thailand with the UK or US.

Your 'vote them out in the next election' makes an assumption that there will be a next election, and that the playing field for that election is the same.

You raise the comparison with 1st world countries. I don't remember the UK having a party which changed the laws so it was immune from prosecution, as well as turn the clock back to nullify any previous convictions.

The 1st world has checks and balances which are relied on to prevent the country being destroyed. Artificially distorting election results by the manipulation of the less well-educated electorate, is obviously a Thai feature.

Hence, a distorted democracy and the mis-use of the responsibility a government is given, makes the ultimate Thai 'check and balance' likely.

Question - if another election is not held before Thailand, people and country, is harmed, what is the alternative?

A mature government that reflects thailand's electorate, rather than the PTP is the answer. So an end to corruption? Not likely.

In the meantime, if the playground antics of the present government are not contained, are the red supporters happy to sit back and watch Thailand slide?

I was born and raised in Detroit and Chicago. Detroit was more incompetent than Thailand and Chicago more corrupt (vote early vote often). I have first hand experience with the US Army in South East Asia that was in Thailand for 10 years. And not once during all my experience with major league crime, incompetence and corruption did I think of a coup.

Am I being deliberately naive when comparing Thailand to a first world country? I guess. Thailand could take lessons. Thailand is just a baby when it comes to corruption and incompetence.

The Thai army must be good.

They've got more generals than anyone else!

I believe they were so good they declarded war United Stated Austrilia and England.

But the generals were not very good at picking the winning side. From the memoirs of Betty Mckenzie, the woman who saved Thailand...I am guessing this is not taught in Thai schools...

http://home.comcast.net/~dmckroot/thailand.htm

"About two or three months, I can't remember exactly how long but I think it was about two or three months, after the war ended low and behold over our ticker tape came a most horrifying piece of news information. That the United States, Britain, and Thailand had signed a treaty. Because of the puppet government that the Japanese set up in Thailand, Thailand was being ceded to the British Empire. This free country, for a thousand years, being ceded to the British Empire."

I have never seen this. Great story.

The Thai army must be good.

They've got more generals than anyone else!

I believe they were so good they declarded war United Stated Austrilia and England.
But the generals were not very good at picking the winning side. From the memoirs of Betty Mckenzie, the woman who saved Thailand...I am guessing this is not taught in Thai schools...

http://home.comcast.net/~dmckroot/thailand.htm

"About two or three months, I can't remember exactly how long but I think it was about two or three months, after the war ended low and behold over our ticker tape came a most horrifying piece of news information. That the United States, Britain, and Thailand had signed a treaty. Because of the puppet government that the Japanese set up in Thailand, Thailand was being ceded to the British Empire. This free country, for a thousand years, being ceded to the British Empire."

I have never seen this. Great story.
It is an amazing bit of Thai history. Chiangmaikelly was the one who told me this story. He thinks there should be statues of her put up all over Thailand. Guess Thailand would be a lot different now if it had stayed ceded to Britain.... :-)

I was born and raised in Detroit and Chicago. Detroit was more incompetent than Thailand and Chicago more corrupt (vote early vote often). I have first hand experience with the US Army in South East Asia that was in Thailand for 10 years. And not once during all my experience with major league crime, incompetence and corruption did I think of a coup.

Am I being deliberately naive when comparing Thailand to a first world country? I guess. Thailand could take lessons. Thailand is just a baby when it comes to corruption and incompetence.

What happened is you got old and moved to Thailand where you were no longer able to see corruption so you have no idea of the current amount going on.

Any time a Criminal on the run from the law living in a foreign country can buy the PM job and many of the ministers and tell them what to do and they try there best to do it at the cost of not doing the job they were elected to.

Well You have to be pretty blind to miss that. Also that is just the tip of the ice berg wanna talk about rice or the cost of boats for flood victims or the necessities for life during the flood that were just left to rot. The only thing the people had going for them was the Army.

You compare two crime ridden cities to a whole country. Here is a little tid bit for you New Orleans was worse.

What happened is you got old and moved to Thailand where you were no longer able to see corruption so you have no idea of the current amount going on.

Any time a Criminal on the run from the law living in a foreign country can buy the PM job and many of the ministers and tell them what to do and they try there best to do it at the cost of not doing the job they were elected to.

Well You have to be pretty blind to miss that. Also that is just the tip of the ice berg wanna talk about rice or the cost of boats for flood victims or the necessities for life during the flood that were just left to rot. The only thing the people had going for them was the Army.

You compare two crime ridden cities to a whole country. Here is a little tid bit for you New Orleans was worse.

As a matter of interest Dolly, when did you come to live in Thailand? You have said before that your second visit was almost disrupted by the airport occupations so. given your current age you must have been old too when you moved to Thailand.

Maybe it would be more germane not to attack/make assumptions about other posters when you could instead make relevant points.

Edited by pastitche

Thailand is a country - Detroit and Chicago are cities.

There is corruption everywhere. It doesn't make Thailand right, unless you follow the red mantra of "they did it first".

In Thailand, the ultimate leveler is the army.

You didn't think of a coup - what alternative did you come up with?

I still wait for an answer - what alternatives are there, apart from the government putting Thailand, the people and the country, first?

• Like 1

Thailand is a country - Detroit and Chicago are cities.

There is corruption everywhere. It doesn't make Thailand right, unless you follow the red mantra of "they did it first".

In Thailand, the ultimate leveler is the army.

You didn't think of a coup - what alternative did you come up with?

I still wait for an answer - what alternatives are there, apart from the government putting Thailand, the people and the country, first?

It is true that Thailand is a country and Detroit and Chicago are cities. However Thailand is a small country in both area and population and would be better compared to a few cities than another large country.

Sure there is corruption everywhere and I agree with you that, that does not make it right. But coups are never right either.

To answer your question about alternatives I would suggest you look at the actions and recommendations of Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. They both succeeded. They both had right on their side. A coup in Thailand will never succeed because as, it stands now, it will never have right on it's side.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

A coup is what it is: undemocratic, illegal...and morally wrong.

And a corrupt government is morally right?

Oh come on...just "coupe" until you have a THAI- government, that is NOT corrupt?!

That means coupes unti....the year 2324???

It is true that Thailand is a country and Detroit and Chicago are cities. However Thailand is a small country in both area and population and would be better compared to a few cities than another large country.

Sure there is corruption everywhere and I agree with you that, that does not make it right. But coups are never right either.

To answer your question about alternatives I would suggest you look at the actions and recommendations of Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. They both succeeded. They both had right on their side. A coup in Thailand will never succeed because as, it stands now, it will never have right on it's side.

I agree totally that coups are wrong, but I believe that the current immature democracy (not the parties, but the mechanism itself), means that Thailand must be saved from itself (if not by a coup, then by some means).

If the current government would only acknowledge the past, learn lessons from it and move forward for the good of Thailand, I don't believe the word 'coup' would arise.

It is distressing that the Thai culture of 'Mai Ben drai' allows the past to repeat itself. Re-writing the past helps the villains, not the innocent.

A coup is what it is: undemocratic, illegal...and morally wrong.

And a corrupt government is morally right?
Oh come on...just "coupe" until you have a THAI- government, that is NOT corrupt?!

That means coupes unti....the year 2324???

So be it - if that's the way Thailand is, then the cycle will continue

I agree totally that coups are wrong, but I believe that the current immature democracy (not the parties, but the mechanism itself), means that Thailand must be saved from itself (if not by a coup, then by some means).

If the current government would only acknowledge the past, learn lessons from it and move forward for the good of Thailand, I don't believe the word 'coup' would arise.

It is distressing that the Thai culture of 'Mai Ben drai' allows the past to repeat itself. Re-writing the past helps the villains, not the innocent.

Maybe they should only let smart people vote then......

As a matter of interest Dolly, when did you come to live in Thailand? You have said before that your second visit was almost disrupted by the airport occupations so. given your current age you must have been old too when you moved to Thailand.

Maybe it would be more germane not to attack/make assumptions about other posters when you could instead make relevant points.

I have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about. I

was already settled down here in Thailand when the airport was occupied.

Yes I am old but I can still see corruption. Why did you not attack me

on my point of view about corruption. I take it you agree with me.

The

poster lived in Detroit and Chicago and tried to say Thailand was not

as bad as the States. On a list of 174 countries The states was number

19 while Thailand is number 88. Thailand dosen't even make it into the

top half of least corrupt. Obviously has has lost his ability to see

corruption especially when it is so blatant in your face. Of course I

could be wrong and he is a troll.

In a ranking of 174 countries in The States was ranked as the 19th most honest Thailand came in at 88 most honest,

Or at least hide from this farce of 'we have a mandate'. There is an electoral majority which is used to instigate the actions of this government in a very immature democracy. The first world have been through the same scenario when the electorate was manipulated due to their ignorance.

The actions of the elected government are the issue, not how they achieved their electoral majority.

Sensible actions = no problem. Children in a sweet shop = somebody saying 'stop it'.

Or at least hide from this farce of 'we have a mandate'. There is an electoral majority which is used to instigate the actions of this government in a very immature democracy. The first world have been through the same scenario when the electorate was manipulated due to their ignorance.

The actions of the elected government are the issue, not how they achieved their electoral majority.

Sensible actions = no problem. Children in a sweet shop = somebody saying 'stop it'.

You are missing the fact that essentially all politicians, in all countries lie when they have to.

What Thailand needs to do is move towards catching and publicising the corrupt and incompetent politicians they have, and vote them away, as opposed to dreaming of a coup to solve the problem.

You are missing the fact that essentially all politicians, in all countries lie when they have to.

What Thailand needs to do is move towards catching and publicising the corrupt and incompetent politicians they have, and vote them away, as opposed to dreaming of a coup to solve the problem.

"Who do you trust most? A politician or a 2nd-hand car salesman?"

But countries the world over continue to elect the untrust-worthy.

IMO, your comments are valid, but I must disagree with your term "dream".

Until Thai democracy matures enough to restrain the excesses of its elected governments, the idea of the current democratic system solving any of thailand's problem is the "dream".

Coups are likely until thailand's democracy matures, which is the essence of this topic, not whether coups are right in themselves.

"Who do you trust most? A politician or a 2nd-hand car salesman?"

But countries the world over continue to elect the untrust-worthy.

IMO, your comments are valid, but I must disagree with your term "dream".

Until Thai democracy matures enough to restrain the excesses of its elected governments, the idea of the current democratic system solving any of thailand's problem is the "dream".

Coups are likely until thailand's democracy matures, which is the essence of this topic, not whether coups are right in themselves.

Actually they need better constitution writers. And the h fact that the reds shot back last time, then proceeded to go nationwide and burn down city halls, probably reduces the likelihood greatly. Edited by Thai at Heart