2 Wirelsss Modems Into 1 Line?

THAIPHUKET

I got 2 DLink wireless modems only one is connected but the signal throughout the house is a rather weak in certain places because of thick walls.

Can I simply use 2 modems, upstairs and downstairs, plugged into the same telephone line?

They have different passwords, don´t know if that is of relevance?

No. Only 1 modem per phone line.

But you can plug extra wireless access points into a network cable connected to the first router.

Or get a wireless extender.

I also remember that one or both options cut the speed by 50% , true and avoidable , if so how?

run an ethernet cable from the a lan port in one to the other and turn off all dns and nat functions on the seconday one.

I run two routers that way, one is restricted to wireless n devices and the other for guests and lower spec devices

an ethernet cable + a wifi router is by far a more straightforward solution, in terms of setting up, of usages, of maintenance. well, it costs extra baht, and your second DLink modem still idle.

if you don't have conduit running between floors, I see some people dropping the cable through the window :-)

Another solution is to use 2 "powerline" adaptors which will utilize the electrical wiring in your house to make a LAN connection between your main router and the 2nd AP/router upstairs. They can be had for a little over THB1000 each and will save you installing LAN cables.

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wired-networking/d-link/dhp-310av-homeplug-av-mini-adapter-p009216/

Recently I helped a friend with what sounds like exactly the same situation as yours and we used this solution. It works perfectly.

Concerning the speed of Repeater: It is still beyond the speed of your ADSL line .......

That's true as long as the signal you are repeating is strong enough but oftentimes on a different floor in a concrete house it isn't.

You need to disable a lot the options like the DNS and DCHP Server. You will also need to give it a new IP address and point to the gateway.

If you want an easier device then just buy a Wireless Access point and keep the router as a backup..

As you state there is already a weak signal maybe the way to go To replace the aerials on the existing router with some with a higher gain. I have seen these for sale with various connection options and lengths at Fortune Town Bangkok. It seems the longer the aerial the higher the gain.

My Asus has 2x 5db aerials where a different model has a single 2db aerial. 3db extra equates to a doubling of signal from memory. So check the specs on the router and it may be an easy fix to upgrade the aerial(s)

Cheers

Another solution is to use 2 "powerline" adaptors which will utilize the electrical wiring in your house to make a LAN connection between your main router and the 2nd AP/router upstairs. They can be had for a little over THB1000 each and will save you installing LAN cables.

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wired-networking/d-link/dhp-310av-homeplug-av-mini-adapter-p009216/

Recently I helped a friend with what sounds like exactly the same situation as yours and we used this solution. It works perfectly.

Read somewhere that powerline devices didnt work so well and worked at a lesser speed than direct cabling? Also, that they were also adversely affected by a supposed lesser quality of the mains power supply generally in Thailand? Any truth to these?

Edited by avander

Read somewhere that powerline devices didnt work so well and worked at a lesser speed than direct cabling? Also, that they were also adversely affected by a supposed lesser quality of the mains power supply generally in Thailand? Any truth to these?

Yes I've also read some similar reports though I think they are mainly concerned with the potential problems inherent in powerline technology which are electrical noise, security and cross phase transmission (e.g.3 phase mains supply). Apparently the standards in use today largely overcome those issues.

Some HomePlug adaptors are rated at 500Mbit/s though the cheaper ones I used at my friends house are rated at 200Mbits/s which though much less than Gigabit LAN (1000Mbit/s) is still better than Fast Ethernet (100Mbit/s) still used in most home networks. All these numbers are theoretical maximums anyway and if comparing to wifi transmission anyone that has tested actual throughput will know that real world speeds are far less than what is written in big numbers on the packaging.

I didn't do any network speedtests at my friends house but I did run a constant ping while doing large file transfers and didn't see any issues. The house is 20+ years old with original wiring.

As other posters have suggested, wired LAN is the best solution but if I was connecting say a remote AP or a bedroom media player and wired LAN isn't practical I would choose powerline over wireless.

Yes I've also read some similar reports though I think they are mainly concerned with the potential problems inherent in powerline technology which are electrical noise, security and cross phase transmission (e.g.3 phase mains supply). Apparently the standards in use today largely overcome those issues.

Some HomePlug adaptors are rated at 500Mbit/s though the cheaper ones I used at my friends house are rated at 200Mbits/s which though much less than Gigabit LAN (1000Mbit/s) is still better than Fast Ethernet (100Mbit/s) still used in most home networks. All these numbers are theoretical maximums anyway and if comparing to wifi transmission anyone that has tested actual throughput will know that real world speeds are far less than what is written in big numbers on the packaging.

I didn't do any network speedtests at my friends house but I did run a constant ping while doing large file transfers and didn't see any issues. The house is 20+ years old with original wiring.

As other posters have suggested, wired LAN is the best solution but if I was connecting say a remote AP or a bedroom media player and wired LAN isn't practical I would choose powerline over wireless.

Thanks for the clarification,

I am very interested as I am shortly moving to Thailand near Pattaya where we have a newly built property. New, but typical Thai shop "block" plan with 5 levels.

"Greenfields" install for Internet, Sat/Cable/phones and security. I have a desktop PC streaming media now and also a (mainly) HDMI based mutli-zone AV Receiver (with Ethernet / WiFi) which I want to set up as a media hub for 3 levels (Ground, Level 1 (where the receiver will be) and Level 5).

As a result, I am very interested right now in cabling solutions. Being concrete throughout I was thinking of running Cat6 to all levels maybe through the stairwell to a Patch Panel probably on Level 1 with HDMI, Telephone and RCA converters as needed. Was also thinking of putting Wifi Access points on each level. I guess the exception would be the coax from the satellite/cable. I have a Cisco Linksys Wireless "N" (WAG120N) router that I own and would likely use, even if only as a wifi access point as it is not that old and is a reliable piece of gear.

I am armed and dangerous with a little knowledge. I am certainly no expert nor do I have any idea of the costs of setting this up.

I have already had some discussion elsewhere in the forums regarding my plans particularly in relaiton to Cable / Sat setup (eg JSat, True and Pattaya Cable etc) and will check these out when we arrive.

As far as cabling the property I am guessing the equipment and cable costs are cheaper in Thailand than Australia and probably silly to buy stuff here in Australia when I am uncertain of the final design or if it would even have support in Thailand in any case.

My overall ideas may be too cost prohibitive but I am interested in local providers who may be able to at least provide quotes, discuss options, and install etc. So if anyone knows of anyone in the Pattaya, Chon Buri area I would be very interested to get some contact details. English speaking obviously a benefit.

cheers

I was really only suggesting powerline as an alternative to wifi extenders. If you are in a position to do all the cabling from scratch then your idea of putting CAT6 all over the place is the way to go. Having the actual cable runs done here will be a fraction of the cost that it would be in Australia. Any local contractor or electrician can do it and only the terminations require some level of skill.

When building my house in BKK a few years ago I had both LAN and telephone cable put into every room and some big rooms more than one outlet. I have no regrets about that but I did make some mistakes and would do things differently next time, as follows.

Firstly I didn't specify the LAN cable and got CAT5E instead of CAT6. CAT5E is fine for my present needs but as you obviously already know CAT6 is preferable.

Secondly, I didn't always put the LAN outlets in the right place/places. For example where you might want to put an AP is not necessarily the same place that you might connect a media player or smart TV.

Thirdly, I didn't take into account the likelihood of installing CCTV. I should have run LAN cable to every point that I would install a camera so that they can be positioned discretely and powered by POE. Now I'm going to have to either use wireless cameras in some places which will require AC power outlets or run new LAN cables which isn't easy after the fact.

Lastly, the phone jacks that were installed all over the place (about 20 of them) are fairly useless. Though there is a landline, it's never ever used. I can't think what else they could be used for so wouldn't bother again. Mobile calls are so cheap in Thailand these days, most people hardly use with landlines.

I don't know much about coax cabling for cable or satellite TV but guess that it depends on whether cable TV is available at your location or whether it has to be satellite. Same for internet access - if DOCSIS is available there, its usually a better solution than ADSL.

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to with HDMI. If you mean "HDMI over CAT" with a transceiver at each end then I think they need a pair of CAT5E/CAT6 cables which are completely separate form your LAN. At least the one I have works that way. Maybe things have changed though.

Yes you are right not to bother buying anything in Australia. I doubt that any of the bits & pieces you need would be cheaper there and there is very little that you can't buy in Bangkok (not sure about Pattaya). I can't help you with local contarctors in Pattaya but I'm sure there are others on this forum that can. You might be better posting in the Pattaya sub-forum for advice about that.

I was really only suggesting powerline as an alternative to wifi extenders. If you are in a position to do all the cabling from scratch then your idea of putting CAT6 all over the place is the way to go. Having the actual cable runs done here will be a fraction of the cost that it would be in Australia. Any local contractor or electrician can do it and only the terminations require some level of skill.

When building my house in BKK a few years ago I had both LAN and telephone cable put into every room and some big rooms more than one outlet. I have no regrets about that but I did make some mistakes and would do things differently next time, as follows.

Firstly I didn't specify the LAN cable and got CAT5E instead of CAT6. CAT5E is fine for my present needs but as you obviously already know CAT6 is preferable.

Secondly, I didn't always put the LAN outlets in the right place/places. For example where you might want to put an AP is not necessarily the same place that you might connect a media player or smart TV.

Thirdly, I didn't take into account the likelihood of installing CCTV. I should have run LAN cable to every point that I would install a camera so that they can be positioned discretely and powered by POE. Now I'm going to have to either use wireless cameras in some places which will require AC power outlets or run new LAN cables which isn't easy after the fact.

Lastly, the phone jacks that were installed all over the place (about 20 of them) are fairly useless. Though there is a landline, it's never ever used. I can't think what else they could be used for so wouldn't bother again. Mobile calls are so cheap in Thailand these days, most people hardly use with landlines.

I don't know much about coax cabling for cable or satellite TV but guess that it depends on whether cable TV is available at your location or whether it has to be satellite. Same for internet access - if DOCSIS is available there, its usually a better solution than ADSL.

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to with HDMI. If you mean "HDMI over CAT" with a transceiver at each end then I think they need a pair of CAT5E/CAT6 cables which are completely separate form your LAN. At least the one I have works that way. Maybe things have changed though.

Yes you are right not to bother buying anything in Australia. I doubt that any of the bits & pieces you need would be cheaper there and there is very little that you can't buy in Bangkok (not sure about Pattaya). I can't help you with local contarctors in Pattaya but I'm sure there are others on this forum that can. You might be better posting in the Pattaya sub-forum for advice about that.

"Firstly I didn't specify the LAN cable and got CAT5E instead of CAT6."

Would this really make any difference to internet speed?

Thanks for the suggestions and advice based on your experiences. Understand about the powerline gear.

My HDMI setup would be separate as you suggest and as I understand. My AVR will talk wirelessly to the LAN for firmware and media streaming. My wife insists on landline phone for the business and also suggests this is cheaper than mobile so why not setup the rest of the building. We'll see. Not sure about Docsis and Adsl as there appear to be problems in both (at least with True) so I'm currently clueless about that one.

Thanks again for the input. I will ask about info on providers in Pattaya.

Apologies for the slightly cryptic responses. All thumbs on the mobile..

Thanks again!

Thanks for the suggestions and advice based on your experiences. Understand about the powerline gear.

My HDMI setup would be separate as you suggest and as I understand. My AVR will talk wirelessly to the LAN for firmware and media streaming. My wife insists on landline phone for the business and also suggests this is cheaper than mobile so why not setup the rest of the building. We'll see. Not sure about Docsis and Adsl as there appear to be problems in both (at least with True) so I'm currently clueless about that one.

Thanks again!

You're very welcome. Yes you're right, most businesses still use landlines. I didn't realise you were setting up an office. In that case you probably need it for fax as well which are still very much in use in Thailand.

Just for your info, I have DOCSIS at my office and ADSL at home (both from TRUE) and find them to be very reliable. You read various complaints about all providers.

"Firstly I didn't specify the LAN cable and got CAT5E instead of CAT6."

Would this really make any difference to internet speed?

It's not about internet speed but LAN speed. But anyway, no it doesn't make any difference in my case since both CAT5E & CAT6 support Gigabit (which CAT5 doesn't). It's more a case of future proofing for whatever technologies will utilize CAT6. The extra cost of CAT6 cable itself is negligible compared to the cost & hassle of running the cable.

• Like 1

Thanks again!

You're very welcome. Yes you're right, most businesses still use landlines. I didn't realise you were setting up an office. In that case you probably need it for fax as well which are still very much in use in Thailand.

Just for your info, I have DOCSIS at my office and ADSL at home (both from TRUE) and find them to be very reliable. You read various complaints about all providers.

Well, we will actually be operating a take-away/restaurent business but while not currently planned, if we did move later we could convert each level into independent leasing for small businesses so better to be prepared I suppose. As you suggeste, I have posted the question in the Pattaya forum regarding DOCSIS and ADSL so will see what replies I have there regarding local availability and benefits of each standard.