Are Cheap Tablet Pcs Worth It?

drronnie

Was thinking of buying a tablet PC for 3,990 Baht and they seem to do almost everything an IPad or a Samsung Tab can do. However I hardly see anyone buying these. Are the cheap tablet PCs so much worse and not worth buying? I tried them and they are okay for internet use and watching movies.

they are ok if it is as a back up, make sure you pay a little extra 5-6K and get one with the sim card option these can be great for just carrying around to check emails and so forth.

I bought a cheap 1 with the simcard option for my daughter she uses it all the time and no problem she plays games and chats with friends.

What do you get between a cheap tablet vs reputable tablet? Here's a few things..

1. Cheap tablets have poor quality screens and low resolution graphics.

2. They also tend to be single core CPU, which don't offer a lot of processing power.

3. They have cheaper battery's and will only last about 3hrs running time.

Here's a list of the best tablets out right now.

(WiFi/3G)

1. Nexus 7 - 8,900/10,900 (Quad Core) (32GB)

2. iPadMini - 11,700/15,XXX (Dual Core) (16GB)

3. Samsung Tab 2.0 7.0 - 6,250/9,900 (Dual Core) (16GB)

This list is based on value and benchmarket scores. The Nexus smashes the iPad mini and is great value for around 10k with 3g.

**Applys to 10inch models too.

Edited by Sayonarax
  • Like 2

More info on what you are looking for would and what you want to do be good.

Have a look at the Pipo M9, google it.

I'm not sure what it's worth in Thailand if you can get it there of by the time it gets there from China. At the moment in China its selling for about $160 USD and will smash iPad, and give nexus a good run. The M9 runs the latest and greatest of Chinese chipsets, the Rockchip RK3188, is quad core 28nm. Do some research on the Pipo M9. It will be worth it if you buy one.

Damo.

Mrs has a 7" Samsung which she gives quite a beating to, I have an Ainol Novo Fire at about 1/2 the price. Great machine, never missed a beat. Would be nice if it had the GPS in it, but it isn't essential. The Ainol Venus / Myth is also a good runner.

Keep in mind the great majority of low cost tablets in the Bt8000 and below range don't come with built-in Bluetooth and Phone/SIM capability if that is important to you. And a few models may not work with Google Play/Market which makes it super easy/automatic to download/automatically keep up to day Apps. Screen resolutions will be lower also although high screen resolution is way, way overhyped for the basic watching of YouTube type videos, movies, and Ebooks. But tablets such as the Onda V972/V973 9.7 inch screens now come with Quad Core CPUs and retina/high resolution display screens just like the latest iPads...a V972/V973 cost approx. Bt7000. And there are plenty of Dual Core and 1024x768 or 800x600 resolution models from various manufacturers out there for significantly under Bt7000. I have a Onda V971 Dual Core model I bought last Nov and it gives 6 hours of movie play time with its 6000mah battery. Also, I doubt the OP would be interested in firmware updates, but many of the low end models do not provide Over-the-Air or Support Site downloads/updates of the firmware (i.e, the Android operating system and it bloatware...some bloatware is good but some is not).

Yea, trying to compare a basic Bt4000 Android tablet to a more fully hardware outfitted IPad or Samsung is a little bit like comparing Apples and Oranges.

I bought the Ainol 10.1 Hero for the little boy some time ago at 5.990 Baht including a very nice book cover.

It has dual core, 1 gb ddr3, 16 Gb memory, bluetooth - wifi and 1280x800 ips screen.

Very happy with it so far. Newest firmware has Jelly bean and battery lasts about 8- 9 hours of continous usage.

They're cheap for a reason.

battery life is in the 3-4 hour range usually

updates probably won't be available (i.e. if it's Android 4.0, don't expect the manufacturer to come out with a 4.1 or 4.2 update.)

they're not particularly fast.

I have a Chinese tablet at the moment (aigoPad M80), but I'm definitely contemplating a Nexus 7 (or even an iPad)

They're cheap for a reason.

battery life is in the 3-4 hour range usually

updates probably won't be available (i.e. if it's Android 4.0, don't expect the manufacturer to come out with a 4.1 or 4.2 update.)

they're not particularly fast.

I have a Chinese tablet at the moment (aigoPad M80), but I'm definitely contemplating a Nexus 7 (or even an iPad)

I'm not an apple fan boy but after playing around with some of my friends cheap tablets and a Samsung tab 7 of my own (which was the most decent) I got an new iPad. It's seriously incredible in comparison. The battery life, screen and available friction free apps- night and day competed to those crap Chinese copies in the 4000-8000 range. I charge my iPad every few days (!!) not hours, the thing is a beast.

If you play around with both for 10 min each you will see where your money goes. I'm sure the better Samsung ones have a similar wow factor my friend got the 8 note and I played with the 10.1 galaxy tab both are great.

I bought the Ainol 10.1 Hero for the little boy some time ago at 5.990 Baht including a very nice book cover.

That is the same as I bought my wife for her birthday a while ago, about the same price. Works quite nicely and sharp display.

I have 3000B 7" tablet and yes, biggest difference is the battery life, couple hours at most watching videos... and it runs HOT. And the screen is pretty crap (make sure you go for the IPS screen models if you have a choice). And the screen cover is falling off... So you do get what you pay for, but if you can overlook these problems, they're pretty good value!

Modt of the chesp onrs go wrong. Imobile tablets although look the biz are usless. Friend bought one and it went wrong every week he had it for the first 3 months. Took 2 weeks to fix then stopped working again. He went back to the UK without it as its still getting repaired. Buy a Samsung. Great bavk up and not much more than a so called cheap tablet.

Same question is it better to buy a mini or a Rolls Royce. both do the same job.

Screen resolution on these cheap tabs is often HD and they seem to do everything other tablets do, even more, unlike the ipad they have a usb !

Both high and low priced tablets have 1 year warrantly and like minis they don't break down all the time.

Now if your a fashion victim then it does matter>>>>

They're not an alternative to desktop power or even a laptop PC. But they're a considerably better alternative to getting stuff done on the go to smartphones, and less of an investment than the contemporary ultralight laptops. As someone else has suggested, be sure whatever you get is wireless & bluetooth capable, and has a memory slot. (Also USB port, GPS rcvr, and decent [wi flash & reversible] camera, IMO.) I resisted the idea of a tablet for a long time, but now have had an Asus Transformer Infinity for almost a year (and just got the keyboard dock), and am well pleased with it. Battery life hasn't been that much an issue for me, even when traveling: more & more you're seeing recharge stations in airports (and even on planes), and the keyboard dock with the Asus extends battery life considerably. (If they're not already available, you'll probably be seeing pocket-size battery recharge appliances for tablets, like the one I've had for my iPod for years now, quite soon.). I also like the idea of a tablet separate from my cellphone, because so many of the free Android apps seem to be written to access your phone logs, contact lists, & etc.: if it's not a phone in the 1st place, that's not an issue.

It seems to me that for the most part you get what you pay for,

That is what I got out of this thread so far.

For myself not being tech savy I would not need all the fringe benifits but they would be acceptable. Not hat I havee a lot of money to spend but from what I have seen here so far no problem. My one big concern would be durability.

I am talking about the machine not the battery.

Moving to the tech forum.

I think it is a good idea to move to the tech forum now if you could give some directions on how to get there I would greatly appreciate it.

I looked through your list of forums and did not see one named Tech forum. I am tech challenged and have a great deal of interest in this one and would like to continue to come back to it.

Moving to the tech forum.

I think it is a good idea to move to the tech forum now if you could give some directions on how to get there I would greatly appreciate it.

I looked through your list of forums and did not see one named Tech forum. I am tech challenged and have a great deal of interest in this one and would like to continue to come back to it.

This topic has been located in the tech forum since I posted that I was moving it yesterday.

The name of this forum in full is Internet, computers, communication, technology

It is a sub forum located underneath the Business and Jobs Sections, and above the Real Estate section on the home page - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/

You can always find which forum you are in on each topic page - simply go down the page to the last post, and the sub forum name can be found on the right side underneath the last post, eg:

· Back to Internet, computers, communication, technology · Next Unread Topic →

Cheap tablets are utter crap. I write software for tablets and know them inside out. There is only one choice, iPad. Anything else is a waste of time and money.

Apple Nazi, Not everything else is a waste of money. I think you will find the difference in tabs is hardware not software.

Horses for courses mate. my 7 year old is very happy with his I-Note, apart from not being able to control games using tilt. If i was going to buy a tab I'd pay more but would not go top end. there is seriously no need.

In my opinion, no. We bought one and it is very slow to respond to touches, the screen resolution is not very sharp and it is sporting an old version of Android and the Chinese website isn't in English and doesn't seem to offer any updates.

I notice there are a few members who bought a piece of crap, others like me are very satisfied with my Ainol at 5.990 Baht.

Maybe it would be a good idea if you included in your post which brand you bought.

I noticed today at Makro they have a tablet for 1990 Baht, well I don't have to see that to know it will be some junk.

A number of off topic and bickering posts have been removed.

The OP's question is very straight forward - if you have an opinion on low end tablets, then feel free to post some objective information and give some details on brand, specs and price.

Otherwise refrain from posting. Quite simple really.

Saw a mini tab at the electronics store just outside my Lotus for 3990 with a dual core CPU. My friend got one on sale for 2550 and loves it. Buy what suits your needs. Simply, play with it BEFORE you leave the store, do the things you want to do and happy computing.

The battery life is not very good on these tablets.

It depends from brand to brand.

My current Ainol 10 Hero will last 9 hours continious usage with graphics, or more than a week on standby, while the Onda v712 I had previously would struggle with 3 hours of usage and 24 hours standby.

I find that an acceptable battery life.

Never had a Samsung tab or Ipad, but do they have much better batterylife than the Ainol ?