Are You A Native English Speaker?

keestha

Are you a native speaker of English?  

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can a native English speaker be from anywhere else than England ?

Trick question. The tongue of the natives of Australia, Nth America and New Zealand is not English yet most of them speak it (english) fluently as their first, and often only language.

I'm Australian, of Scottish descent (1860's) and call English my native language but if a third

generation Chinese in Sydney speaks only English, is English his native language?

You speak Australian (English) and the third generation Chinese who only speaks English (Australian) is a native speaker as well :D:P:)

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Can a native English speaker be from anywhere else than England ?

Trick question. The tongue of the natives of Australia, Nth America and New Zealand is not English yet most of them speak it (english) fluently as their first, and often only language.

I'm Australian, of Scottish descent (1860's) and call English my native language but if a third

generation Chinese in Sydney speaks only English, is English his native language?

Yes it is a bit tricky. Posted Image

Yes

I like to think that a native English speaker is defined as a speaker of English as he has learned it in a country which uses English as its official language or as one of its official languages in everyday speech, commerce, law and the professions.

Now, of course, there may owing to a whole host of factors, be differing levels of competency, clarity, precision and diction between individual speakers.

That is another matter entirely.

In fact, as we often observe, the language and diction of multi-lingual speakers of English is frequently more precise and more "apt" than the language of others.

I'm more interested in clear communication of ideas so I like clear grammatical English, precise non-regional diction and phonetically accurate, mid-Atlantic pronunciation.

The other stuff is fun and indeed occasionally preferable but I definitely prefer communicative speech most of the time.

Fuggedabodit. ;-))))