Are You A Native English Speaker?

keestha

Are you a native speaker of English?  

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Move this to general forum. Hardly phuket related.

Moving

I must say I'm more interested in the results for the Phuket forum than the general forum. For me it would be Phuket related, and I can imagine it would be the same for the OP.

<p>I used to think I was, then I met a bunch of the other native English speakers here and I don't understand half the stuff that comes out of their mouths. &nbsp;Especially those from Scotland (no offense intended, I just struggle with the accent)</p>

Edited by impulse

<p>I used to think I was, then I met a bunch of the other native English speakers here and I don't understand half the stuff that comes out of their mouths. &nbsp;Especially those from Scotland (no offense intended, I just struggle with the accent)</p>

Naebau'ermate.

• Like 2

Naebau'ermate.

See? There it is! I get the sense it's English, but....

Naebau'ermate.

See? There it is! I get the sense it's English, but....

That means dinnay fash.

It's not as simple as that Native English could have it's own sub forum.

eg. Liverpool and Manchester 40 miles apart and two different country's almost.

And they are only two.

From a weegie.

Ah ken whit ye mean, it taks a wee while tae git used tae whit the gleswegans r sayin but for the most part the scots aint that difficult to understand if they speak a little slower

Help available.

post-96114-0-75882900-1368343873_thumb.j

I dinny ken how ye cannae understand me.

Weegis dinnae use "ken", know whit ah meen, wee man! Am urnae gonnae say much more aboot this wan ; now Gleska and Embra are a mere 45 miles apart but the difference in the accents is immense and az fur thae quines and loons fae Ay-burdeen: phit like mun? Not to mention Dundee and pez and peez doon the heh street. Some also reckon that the folk of Inverness, capital of the Highlands, speak the purest form of English. If you want a laugh check out the vidz of that great Glasgow comedian Stanley Baxter: "Parliamo Glasgo" which roughly translates as "My friend I come from Glasgow".

Can a native English speaker be from anywhere else than England ?

Trick question. The tongue of the natives of Australia, Nth America and New Zealand is not English yet most of them speak it (english) fluently as their first, and often only language.

I'm Australian, of Scottish descent (1860's) and call English my native language but if a third

generation Chinese in Sydney speaks only English, is English his native language?

• Like 2

Trick question. The tongue of the natives of Australia, Nth America and New Zealand is not English yet most of them speak it (english) fluently as their first, and often only language.

I'm Australian, of Scottish descent (1860's) and call English my native language but if a third

generation Chinese in Sydney speaks only English, is English his native language?

Yes it is a bit tricky. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Ah ken whit ye mean, it taks a wee while tae git used tae whit the gleswegans r sayin but for the most part the scots aint that difficult to understand if they speak a little slower

Ah kan no unurstan a wrd yur say'n man

I`m half English and half American, a total Yanker, although my roots are firmly planted in England.

How can anyone describe that sort of jazzed up slang the Americans speak as proper English? And as for those Aussies, they`re only cockneys that can swim.

I`m half English and half American, a total Yanker, although my roots are firmly planted in England.

I notice you still have the English gift of self deprecation whistling.gif

If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing yourself.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Amen
Doo wot mayte? Nokitonthe'ed.  We might laugh about it, but ...

What do you call someone that can speak two languages: Bilingual

Three languages: Tri lingual.

One language: British.

Can't make themselves understood in any language: English

SC

yerdedonthair, bytheway, Cowboy.  TheonlyEnglish I unnerstaund is French&Rooney

Brilliant.

:lol:

:lol: