Installing Genuine Windows 7 Over Fake Os

vagabond48

I just purchased a new Asus laptop.

It came with a fake copy of windows 7.

I have an unused W7 dvd that a friend gave me that I want to install.

I could have the shop install it for me but i'd rather do it myself but I have a few questions that I hope some "experts" will answer.

According to the W7 instructions, the dvd will write over the existing W7 OS.

Since I am concerned about possible hidden viruses/worms that the fake install may have installed on the laptop (ie rootkit), will the new W7 install also wipe out any virus/worms on the laptop?

The Asus came with W8 driver and utility dvd. Will I be able to install the W8 drivers on my W7 OS.

I hope I don't have to start hunting online for W7 drivers.

Thanks in advance

Sorry not what your asking but..

This NEW Laptop had Win 8 and was downgraded to Win 7 ?

Go to 'My Computer' click on view system and see if a 'OEM' copy was installed. [how do you know it is a "Fake Copy' ? and not a OEM version used by many shops]

Anyway if you have a genuine unused Win 7 you should only need to enter the License No to activate..

Myself on Win 7 and all the version before bought a 'copy' DVD and then phone M$ and bought the license over the phone.. [XP + 2000 + Vista and now Win 7]

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

I assume the laptop did not come with any OS since I did not pay for a genuine OS so they just installed their version of W7. Actual when I came in Saturday, I told them I am coming the next day my W7 dvd to have them install it but when I arrived the next they told me they already install their version W7 so I just left it on just to play around with the laptop.

Besides this is Thailand, if you didn't pay for it then most likely, any OS or additional programs they give is either a fake copy or free/trial software.

Edited by vagabond48

I assume the laptop did not come with any OS since I did not pay for a genuine OS so they just installed their version of W7. Actual when I came in Saturday, I told them I am coming the next day my W7 dvd to have them install it but when I arrived the next they told me they already install their version W7 so I just left it on just to play around with the laptop.

Besides this is Thailand, if you didn't pay for it then most likely, any OS or additional programs they give is either a fake copy or free/trial software.

After a while it says Free Trial Over, install Windows No. No Worries you can wipe the constant warnings away..Well I cant but Son did.coffee1.gif

Boot from the Windows CD/DVD. Do a "Custom" install. Delete all partitions it finds and create a new one (or ones). Make sure the first partition is at least 10Gb (for the OS and programs).

Then install to the C: drive. Windows will format it for you.

If you've created other partitions, you can format them after you install.

I assume you have an unused License key for your "new" WIn 7?

You're right to assume that anything installed in a Thai computer shop has most likely got more infections than the CDC.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yes, I have an unused original W7.

No one has addressed the other issue I had that the Asus laptop came with W8 driver/utility dvd.

Will I be able to install the drivers on this W8 dvd unto the W7 OS? No guesses please.

I did go to the Asus website and found W7 driver downloads for this laptop but don't know if the site includes "all" necessary drivers?

I have done a goodly number of Win 7 installs and reinstalls. Follow the instructions that Chicog lists, deleting all partitions until only unused space remains. My preference is to just proceed with "next" after having that unused space disk, and do not concern about C or other partitioning. Windows will create the hidden partition and you wind up with one large C partition. Win7 is very good about having drivers for just about any device but you may need to install some eg. video, WiFi afterward. Unlikely, but maybe.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yes, I have an unused original W7.

No one has addressed the other issue I had that the Asus laptop came with W8 driver/utility dvd.

Will I be able to install the drivers on this W8 dvd unto the W7 OS? No guesses please.

I did go to the Asus website and found W7 driver downloads for this laptop but don't know if the site includes "all" necessary drivers?

No, Win8 is very different than Win7 so you'll be doing the Asus Win7 driver downloads.

I agree with the custom install, reformat the drive and fresh install.

My experience with Thai "generic" win 7 on GF's desktop, daughter's laptop and desktop, had keyloggers and other bugs. Since it also doesn't get patches, there was a nice wifi issue that created a wifi tunnel each time the system was booted. This sucked up memory and cpu cycles. An "OEM" copy is cheaper than the regular win but more expensive than the store clone. And you get patches.

Easy.

Boot off your OEM disk

Reformat and partition as you see fit

Install OS

If anything is not working 100%, go.to.Acer site, locate drivers and install. In all liklihood you will need a bunch of drivers like: wlan, bt, touchpad, hotkeys, etc...

Go to Ninite.com.and install all the programs you can and dot Net

I just reinstalled W7 ulti on my netbook yesterday - funny you ask. Ive got a great copy. No funny business on the. iso - been installing for years now.

Edited by bangkokburning

Chicog stated same thing I did but more better.

That is what is needed.

And chop up your hard drive at least in half. These days I like only my OS on the first partition. I leave an addl 10gb for downloads, etc... Rest of it goes to the other part for mp3s, photos, etc...

What is the full model number of this ASUS?

Anyone who puts a 'hacked' copy of Windows on a computer, in the main, simply does not know what they are doing...or doesn't care. It simply is not necessary.

Anyone who understand Windows Activation will activate it properly and that will be the end of the matter. No need for Loaders and Timer stopping antics.

Anyone who puts a 'hacked' copy of Windows on a computer, in the main, simply does not know what they are doing...or doesn't care. It simply is not necessary.

Anyone who understand Windows Activation will activate it properly and that will be the end of the matter. No need for Loaders and Timer stopping antics.

K46CB WX-125D 8G mem

This is my 1st computer purchase outside the USA. As I understand it, unless you specifically buy W7 or W8, most computers will come at your request with the store's copy of W7 or W8 and other software that might be totally free, free trial or pirated. I don't mind that at all except I am concerned about getting unwanted and malicious hidden digital freeloaders.

K46CB WX-125D 8G mem

This is my 1st computer purchase outside the USA. As I understand it, unless you specifically buy W7 or W8, most computers will come at your request with the store's copy of W7 or W8 and other software that might be totally free, free trial or pirated. I don't mind that at all except I am concerned about getting unwanted and malicious hidden digital freeloaders.

Let's check for an existing ASUS licence in the first instance. Sending you a PM.

If you already have a genuine Windows 7 product key, then you don't need to do this, but often all you need is an ASUS recovery disc.

Regarding the unused kit my friend gave me.

It a "Get Genuine Online Kit". It says is only distributed for replacing non-genuine software that failed online Windows validation.

Is this just legalize BS or do I have to try to validate my current W7 install before I can install this genuine version?

Can it be installed on reformatted and unallocated HD?

Regarding the unused kit my friend gave me.

It a "Get Genuine Online Kit". It says is only distributed for replacing non-genuine software that failed online Windows validation.

Is this just legalize BS or do I have to try to validate my current W7 install before I can install this genuine version?

Can it be installed on reformatted and unallocated HD?

It's a Windows 7 Kit containg DVDs, Product Key, and instructions, just like the retail package. However it's offered as a discount for customers to become genuine for systems that failed validation. It depends on how the system failed validation. If the system failed validation because of failure to activate within the trial period, or invalid product key was used, just activate the new product key that came with the kit. It Windows 7 failed validation because it was hacked. Just run the installation disk. It will offer you a choice of a clean install (which reformats the hard drive) or update. If you update the old installation is save in a folder called old windows on the hard drive. Once the product key is activated on a system the drive can be reformated and Windows as many times as you want. It is locked to that motherboard. If the motherboard should fail, you can call Microsoft and get a new product key to reactivate Windows at no charge. Or if you should buy another computer and remove the windows from the old computer Microsoft will give you a new product key to activate the new system at no charge. Just like the retail package of Windows 7. Yes it can be installed on an a reformated and unallocated HD, if the product key wasn't ever activated. Just like a retail package.

Asus NETBOOKS come with 7starter so I doubt that gonna work with 7ulti.

When you wipe the disk you are going to blast the key, so any hope you might have of not entering that has vanished.

If you have the original disk for Asus laptop -great.

Im running rouge. F software companies.

If I could sort out the mess that is Linux,Id love to be there. Its nit friendly, tedious. I REALLY WANT to run Mint. Alas, I am a failure. Mint 14 better, but cannot locate Realtek WLAN driver (driver on site does not work). Sure after I sort that, will be something else.

No love for Windows.

Asus NETBOOKS come with 7starter so I doubt that gonna work with 7ulti.

When you wipe the disk you are going to blast the key, so any hope you might have of not entering that has vanished.

If you have the original disk for Asus laptop -great.

Im running rouge. F software companies.

If I could sort out the mess that is Linux,Id love to be there. Its nit friendly, tedious. I REALLY WANT to run Mint. Alas, I am a failure. Mint 14 better, but cannot locate Realtek WLAN driver (driver on site does not work). Sure after I sort that, will be something else.

No love for Windows.

Have to tell you that your post doesn't make any sense and is highly inaccurate when it comes to Windows. You can install Ultimate on the Netbook if you so wish and no...you don't blast the key. Simple to reinstall. Just ask.

If Windows update was working for me and I was past any worry of a trial version, I would trust running several malware programs to clean that up. I would google and download and install Microsoft Security Essentials. When I was finished with that I would uninstall it because I consider it invasive. Then I would install something like AVG Free antivirus (or your choice) and let it do a complete scan. I don't think any malware could get past the combination of those two.

Then I would use CCleaner to clean and backup my registry, after a reboot.

If you need to preserve your product key, it is unscrambled and clearly visible in the registry. Google how to find it. You can also change it there if needed, but you'll have to re-validate.

As for any who say that defrag takes too long, set the scheduler and do it once a week. It takes a long time only when it hasn't been done recently. Also, I run a program called Smart Defrag (free) which defrags in real time. I also have it set to defrag the system and boot files once a week with my first reboot after that. It takes only seconds but it must be done outside of Windows. Alternately, the program can be set to defrag on a schedule rather than in real time in the background.

If someone thinks that a pirated copy of windows won't update, he hasn't seen the right crack. Not that I'd ever pirate it.

Edited by NeverSure