Not Open Yet, But Phuket's Chalong Marina Already Needs Repairs

webfact

Not open yet, but Phuket's Chalong Marina already needs repairs
Phuket Gazette

mar.jpg
All tourists and boat operators using the incomplete Chalong Bay Marina are urged to exercise caution while repairs are made to the facility. Photos: Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- The chief of the Phuket Marine Office has appealed to all boat operators to exercise caution while using the still incomplete Chalong Bay Marina to allow passengers – mostly tourists – to board and disembark vessels.

The news comes after a Phuket Gazette reader sent in photos of tourists cautiously avoiding a gaping hole in the gangway that joins the marina superstructure to the main marina office.

“I will send officers to inspect the marina and we will have it fixed for everyone’s safety,” Phuket Marine Chief Phuriphat Teerakulpisut said.

“Technically, people are not allowed to use the marina yet because it is still under construction. However, we are trying to be as flexible as possible when it comes to the locals’ reliance on it.

“I urge all people to be very careful when using the marina. The facility is not complete and therefore safety measures may not be up to standard. But in the meantime we will try our best to fix the situation,” Mr Phuriphat said.

Only last week Phuket provincial authorities were told the facility would not be ready to open to the public until 2015 (story here) despite an original launch date of 2012.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Not-open-yet-but-Phuket-s-Chalong-Marina-already-needs-repairs-21027.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-05-13

Nothing new here. In London, there is an underground station with dangerous holes between the train and the platform. All they do there is to play a warning on the PA system: "Mind the gap!"

They ALL want the money the marina can generate - but NO ONE wants to pay for it.

Much like the infastructure on Phuket.

Oh, I believe there are people out there who want to spend the money, chalong marina could be a money machine, but I dont think they will let anyone come in and make them lose face when building a proper marina.

• Like 1

It's impressive how phuket marine office and Khun Phuripat are making a fool of themselves every single time their appear in the media.

Chalong new marina FAIL

Chalong bay new buoys project FAIL

Protecting the mangrove FAIL

Protecting the corals FAIL

Fighting against beach encroachment FAIL

Improving speedboat passengers and swimmers safety FAIL

Jet skis FAIL

Yachts one stop project FAIL

Handling taxi blockade on deep see port FAIL

That's just incredible. I don't think it is humanly possible to do a worse job, even voluntarily. Is the marine office chief's post given for life or something?

Corruption - PASS

:)

• Like 1

Is anybody liable for accidents happening there? I think not. Liability insurance...??? As long as I have been in Thailand I haven't even seen barriers near huge holes, mostly unsafe to walk anywhere without being on guard for hazards that can maim or kill. Complaining doesn't seem to raise a red flag here. It's pretty much use at your own risk. I think taking tips from the locals will make it easier. They know the tricks.

Much like any government or municipal funded project. Good enough budget to pay for a quality project, but once the coffee money has been taken out then we are lucky if a poor quality facility is even completed.

Not wrong there! They started building a road out here 8 years ago, it is only about 5KM, they keep putting tarmac on top of sand and mud, the road has craters on it like the moon, it had holes in it even before they opened it. Do the same people that build these projects get awarded the maintenance contracts?- it seems like a job for life.

There is something inherent about Thai projects, building & operating standards and the sea that seem to produce the Perfect Cluster Duck every time.

oops my keyboard is playing up again biggrin.png

• Like 1

And the spiel goes on , World Class Destination .

When you look at the photo and see the rusty handrail they have fitted and then look around when you are out and about the good quality stainless steel railings etc you see it's a disgrace that they get away with such shoddy work, if you had small children and see the gaps in the safety rail you would be carrying them on to Terra firma.

I bet the big chiefs have stainless steel railings and gates at there Hovel.

• 6 months later...

I've never seen a swell like this in the bay except during the tsunami. Waves must be huge at the beaches today.

Surprisingly not very big at Bang Tao Beach but looking offshore there is a very jagged horizon, so big waves out there. I guess the weather is being driven from the South so the beaches are relatively sheltered.