Thai National Anthem

Hedghog

On occasions I find myself,in a place where the Thai National Anthem is played.

Airport,Cinema,Stadia.

As a foreigner, do you stand, or stay seated?

I personally stay seated,as its not my country Anthem.

Also I do not stand for my own,country Anthem.

How do you respond?

No I am not a tourist.

The cinemas play the kings anthem, not the national anthem. The 6 pm anthem is the national anthem. There is a difference. I could be wrong, so perhaps someone more knowledgeable can confirm.

I just go with the flow so as not to be arrested!

The cinemas play the kings anthem, not the national anthem. The 6 pm anthem is the national anthem. There is a difference. I could be wrong, so perhaps someone more knowledgeable can confirm.

I just go with the flow so as not to be arrested!

No, you are right. "Phleng Sanrasoen Phra Barami" is what they play before movies (or plays): it's the Royal Anthem - BUT it used to be the National Anthem until the 1932 change from an absolute monarchy.

Stand. I understand the op though.

There's a great doco on this forum about the royal family that's really worth watching to get a good understanding of their royal family. Quite fascinating.

I once stopped my motor vehicle and upon complete standstill exited and joined the pedestrians who stood motionless on the pavement in respect for the national anthem.

Native road users were not impressed and seemed somehow upset judging from their reactions.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

Stand in cinemas.... why be rude for no good reason? When running in the park at 6:00 pm I also stop for the anthem - but in the current heat I need a reason for a breather.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 5.1A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Might keep this in mind while you're deciding.

In April, 2008, it was reported that a Thai citizen was facing criminal charges of lèse majesté for failing to stand for the playing of the Royal Anthem at a movie theatre in Bangkok.

and here

Thai Couple Not Standing for Royal Anthem in Cinema Hear Lese Majeste; Charges and Launched . Not Standing is No Crime Campaign source

Plus the possibility of getting beaten silly by Nationalist Thais for showing disrespect. wink.png

I always stand in the theater.

its been an interesting evolvement about standing still or not for the national anthem.

the anthem is played everyday at 8am and 6pm - on TV stations, radios, and broadcasted over loudspeakers at govt offices and schools.

when I was a kid, we had to stand at 8am, school assembly. I imagine at govt offices they probably did that too, but I never saw people do that on the streets. some years later there was a short phase when it did happen.

and since last year im seeing people do so around BTS stations in Bangkok.

so I suppose its a case of 'when in Rome' - as in...its not absolutely crucial that you MUST stand every time you hear the national anthem. BUT, just observe your surroundings - if you happen to be in a public place where 90% of those around you decide to stand still, you do so too. (eg. I dont see people standing still in front of the TV inside a shopping mall when the anthem is being played).

Royal anthem in the cinemas, or at official gatherings/functions - definitely stand

good luck :)

Thanks for the very civilised replies (so far)

I mean no disrespect by not standing,to the particular anthem,played.

Nor is it meant as a disrespectful gesture to the Thai populace.

Thus far the The Thai have not shown any displeasure at my not standing.

its been an interesting evolvement about standing still or not for the national anthem.

the anthem is played everyday at 8am and 6pm - on TV stations, radios, and broadcasted over loudspeakers at govt offices and schools.

when I was a kid, we had to stand at 8am, school assembly. I imagine at govt offices they probably did that too, but I never saw people do that on the streets. some years later there was a short phase when it did happen.

and since last year im seeing people do so around BTS stations in Bangkok.

so I suppose its a case of 'when in Rome' - as in...its not absolutely crucial that you MUST stand every time you hear the national anthem. BUT, just observe your surroundings - if you happen to be in a public place where 90% of those around you decide to stand still, you do so too. (eg. I dont see people standing still in front of the TV inside a shopping mall when the anthem is being played).

Royal anthem in the cinemas, or at official gatherings/functions - definitely stand

good luck smile.png

In my wife's home town Pak Phanang. I've seen cyclists and motor cyclist stop, when the music started.

Thanks for the very civilised replies (so far)

I mean no disrespect by not standing,to the particular anthem,played.

Nor is it meant as a disrespectful gesture to the Thai populace.

Thus far the The Thai have not shown any displeasure at my not standing.

I think you've been lucky. In the BKK Southern railway station, the locals were glaring at an American couple who sat there oblivious. Some even shouted at them. They looked at me, and I gestured for them to stand. After the anthem, I explained the situation. They had just arrived and had not been made aware of local customs.

In the town where I live, the cops on high school road duty stop all traffic, stand at attention, and salute when the kids are singing the national anthem. I once saw a Thai-driven pickup decide to sneak by on the inside lane - and the cops were all over the guy, had him outside the pickup and ticketed him. They were decidedly unhappy. This is in Isaan, smack-dab in the middle of red-shirt country.

I stand in the cinema as a sign of respect for the Thai's.

Outside, I follow the flow; although if with the wife if she stops, so do I.

In the UK the national anthem used to be played in cinemas at the end of the show, but not any longer.

Just as well.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 2

I understand the Reverence for the Thai Royal Family,the Thais have.

But they don't expect Johnny foreigner,Farangland,to feel the same.

I wonder if a Thai would stand at Wembly, for the English Anthem,where a royal could be present.

Or the American Superbowl,when Star Spangled Banner is the offering.

I wonder if a Thai would stand at Wembly, for the English Anthem,where a royal could be present.

A good number of Thais are so insular and lacking in critical thinking they would in fact take it for granted that even Johhny Foreigner would admire His Majesty (and some or perhaps many foreigners do). For others without such an expectation, they would mostly in my opinion expect a gesture of respect regardless of sincerity as it's absence could potentially be deemed DISrespect.

As for the second posit: I'd be quite surprised if they didn't: I believe most people around the world would view it as matter of basic courtesy and not only do I not know of any reasons Thais wouldn't generally feel the same way or wish to display such courtesy, they are - as a result of certain social cultural and social traits - arguably even more likely than the average British subject/ American citizen to go along with a crowd and/or mindlessly observe social norms.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I've seen Thais stand for the US anthem in the US. That obviously doesn't mean all Thais would but you said "a Thai" which implicitly means ANY Thai...

Edited by SteeleJoe

May I decide for myself for who I have respect and for who I don't ? Therefor I avoid the places where they think they have to play this stuff cuz it annoys me. One day the locals won't accept it anymore either, heard enough stories from openminded locals about how they really think of this brainwashing thing. laugh.png

• Like 1

Standing in cinemas is required. Not a problem unless you're disabled. If you're attending a film festival watching 5 films a day, well, that's a lot of respect showing!

Finally I understand why you never see people in wheelchairs in public, they're all locked away cuz they can't stand up...

I'd stand for neither the queen of England who does nothing for her commonwealth or the American anthem. Don't worry, it's not personal, I can't remember the last time I stood up for the Australian anthem either. Least the King of Thailand was truly for the people. A great man that took time and cared for the poor who admire him so much. He really understands what it's about and how it works. Other royal families should take note.

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

before this gets further into a discussion of royalty, may I remind everyone that this is against forum rules.

from what I read others also share my view that it is best to be observant follow those around you.

cheers

When in Thailand I stand with others why not. You are in Thailand so in my book it's respectfull to do so.

I first heard the Kings Song at my first visit to the cinema walking to my seat. I thought it was a trailer promoting Thailand and did not stop my walk to sit down,

Untill my wife told me to stop it was the Kings song, That was the first and only time I have not stood.

The vidio clip 7x7 posted brought back memories. The drum roll was the signal for most folks to get out ASAP