Thai National Anthem

Hedghog

For the national anthem on the street, etc. I take my cues from the Thais. So it depends. I am not patriotic towards Thailand but see no reason to offend anyone either.

......Is the correct answer !

• Like 1

It does seem that the Thai people have slacked off in standing at respect for the 6 pm anthem in recent years. I first started to visit Tanin Market in CM in 2006 and the entire market came to a stand-still with everyone standing at 6 pm when the anthem played over the loudspeaker. It still plays at 6 pm, but about half the merchants continue to sell produce, handle money and, in general, ignore it. These aren't young Thai people, either.

Hubby reports the same changes during his 8 am visits to the same market in search of kanom to hold hunger at bay until I get out of bed for breakfast.

Edited by NancyL

I stay seated.

I always find topics like this irrelevant as you cannot comment why.

Exactly, not much point.

As much as I would like to hear people's reasons against standing (as it's not a big deal), it's not going to happen.

I stay seated.

I always find topics like this irrelevant as you cannot comment why.

Exactly, not much point.

As much as I would like to hear people's reasons against standing (as it's not a big deal), it's not going to happen.

I suspect if you look up the reasons some members don't wai you will find it a similar list for this. wink.png

If I were abroad and heard the host country's anthem, I would stand to pay my respect whether I revere their royals or not and no matter how ridiculous it might be. Because showing respect to others is the way that decent folks and developed people always do.

I doubt most foreigners familiarise themselves with their host country national anthem before they arrive.

Or perhaps it's just me that's reckless and lacking in foresight.

What I do try to do is blend in with whatever crowd I find myself in, generally in a muted and discreet manner without drawing attention to myself *

SC

* EDIT: while maximising the distance to any riot police who may be nearby, and if necessary whistling nonchalantly to myself to maintain my air of innocence...

Edited by StreetCowboy

If I were abroad and heard the host country's anthem, I would stand to pay my respect whether I revere their royals or not and no matter how ridiculous it might be. Because showing respect to others is the way that decent folks and developed people always do.

You are right and even if you don't respect the royals, how big a deal is it to stand for a couple of minutes.

• Like 1

Once I was at HomePro in Chiangmai, at that time they still played the nation anthem at 6 o'clock. I was talking with a staff at the servicedesk when all folks stood still cuz the song was playing. Then everyone walked on again, but 10 seconds later the song started again and the crowd froze for the second time :o:wacko: The lady helping me then said 'solly', rushed to the tapedeck to stop it, and everyone went on again :lol:

I understand the Reverence for the Thai Royal Family,the Thais have.

But they don't expect Johnny foreigner,Farangland,to feel the same.

I wonder if a Thai would stand at Wembly, for the English Anthem,where a royal could be present.

Or the American Superbowl,when Star Spangled Banner is the offering.

They would definitely stand.

I understand the Reverence for the Thai Royal Family,the Thais have.

But they don't expect Johnny foreigner,Farangland,to feel the same.

I wonder if a Thai would stand at Wembly, for the English Anthem,where a royal could be present.

Or the American Superbowl,when Star Spangled Banner is the offering.

I'd stand for neither the queen of England who does nothing for her commonwealth or the American anthem. Don't worry, it's not personal, I can't remember the last time I stood up for the Australian anthem either. Least the King of Thailand was truly for the people. A great man that took time and cared for the poor who admire him so much. He really understands what it's about and how it works. Other royal families should take note.

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

BUT you stand for the thai anthem, but not your own, now that is pathetic.

Not being required to stand for nationalistic displays can be the sign of a free-er country.

When I was a youngun some of us refused to stand for the pledge of allegiance in school as a protest to the Vietnam war.

I don't think that was pathetic. It was actually a little brave and it reflected well on my country that we weren't punished for it.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I,d say it,s more like a lemming .

Not being required to stand for nationalistic displays can be the sign of a free-er country.

When I was a youngun some of us refused to stand for the pledge of allegiance in school as a protest to the Vietnam war.

I don't think that was pathetic. It was actually a little brave and it reflected well on my country that we weren't punished for it.

So what does "krisb" have to protest about ?

I read topics about how we will always just be farrang to Thai's or we are just here for sex etc etc.

Why try to alienate yourself even more by being the only one in the theatre not standing, it will be noticed and be seen as lack of respect. Your choice though, but you are being watched and judged, the people around you have now judged you as disrespectful. I stand and keep quiet but I have grown to respect traditions of the country I reside.

Once I was at HomePro in Chiangmai, at that time they still played the nation anthem at 6 o'clock. I was talking with a staff at the servicedesk when all folks stood still cuz the song was playing. Then everyone walked on again, but 10 seconds later the song started again and the crowd froze for the second time ohmy.pngwacko.png The lady helping me then said 'solly', rushed to the tapedeck to stop it, and everyone went on again laugh.png

At least they didn't get it mixed up, like here:

Edited by Morakot

I stand and/or stop for purely practical and safety related reasons. If you don't want to get beat up, end up assaulting or killing someone or be perceived as disrespectful or problematic, you should do it.

• Like 1

In the cinemas, I always stand for the King's anthem.

Although, I've seen foreigners on numerous occasions (most likely tourists), who seem indifferent, and keep sitting.

When I used to go run at Chatuchak Park (everyone in the park usually stopped whatever they were doing, at 6:00)

Out of respect, I would stop running as well, until the anthem was over.
What I did note is that a handful of locals, although were standing still, didn't stop whatever they were doing (talking on the phone / chatting to their girlfriends/ friends etc.). I guess maybe it's not that clear cut, as to what you can and can't do?