Thai School Closings Pressure Parents

School closings pressure parents
The Nation

30206078-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Enrolling students every other year at primary school level could be one solution to the government's controversial policy of closing small schools, a leading educator told a Bangkok seminar yesterday.

Other proposals included teaching three two-year classes, utilising self-centred teaching methods (dubbed constant curriculum) and transferring students to nearby larger schools, said Prof Theera Rooncharoen, chairman of the Career Development for Educational Management Association of Thailand.

"The quality of education does not always mean good grades. It also means happiness of students, their being good morally and academically," he said.

Setbacks to the existing public school system were frequent transfers of teachers, lack of teachers' professionalism and good academic backgrounds, poor management, lack of teachers' development and underuse of technology in supporting education, he added.

One school hit by the government's policy is Baan Khoke Mamuang School. With 10 students, it's the smallest in Trang province.

With the start of the school term just two days away, acting director Somphorn Bunsongnak said a decision was made to send the students to Baan Khlong Teng School, 3km away. However, transportation for them has not been arranged. The school's budget is Bt150 for daily transport, or Bt15 per student, is not enough for a motorcycle taxi. "I have to keep visiting the parents to convince them to take their children to the school," said Somphorn, who is one of the school's only two teachers.

In Ranong, 10 of the 86 schools have only students from migrants, said Phayab Osoth-charoen, an official with the provincial education office. "The office does not mind them studying in Thai-subsidised schools, but closing them or merging them with larger schools seems a better way to manage education," he added.

At least five Ranong schools are slated for closure, regardless of the students' nationalities.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-14

• Like 1

...that is why education never improves.....parent meddling....to save face with regards to their clueless or lazy children....

.....in a small school....parents could better 'dictate' the outcome of their childrens' performance.....

....in other words...'a free-for-all'......

I don't see a problem with closing these schools. They must be costing a fortune to run and at a huge cost to the Thai tax payer. People often look at these schools and think they are good for the kid's but nobody has yet asked why so few kid's attend these schools. If the school was offering good education I am sure parents would send their children to the school so I say close them and the parents who are too lazy to travel 3 kms will just have to lump it. I have students who travel up to 30kms each way to study at my school because they and their parents know that it is worth the travel. Thailand has a long way to go before things are better but I have taught in countries where the situation is much worse than Thailand. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

"The quality of education does not always mean good grades." That is actually a true statement but........

Obviously these administrators have no concept that these kids may want to or need to go to college where in that case,

it's only about grades and not what you know.

Buy the grades or if not cheat.

What is this government doing for the people? bah.gif

in phang nga where we last lived the local school (SMALL) always had the kids cleaning and sweeping the school,while the teachers looked all high and mighty,on there mobiles,,great axample to the kids,that was everyday by the way,they also in thailand have this thing that if the kids need any books stationary they would make them go to a relatives shop,or be downgraded,so friends it seems it all starts at a young age ,,,,,

• Like 1

Sorry, not been following this closely.

Schools closing. Is their an effort / plan to migrate all the students to larger schools but with better learning opportunities?

Is the reason for closures money? I really would have to scoff at this considering how corrupt the bureaucracy is here. Basically, we can't steal money and run schools, so schools - closed.

How can you close a school and not have plans for the kids, I mean even Afghan girls go to school.

• Like 1

"The quality of education does not always mean good grades. It also means happiness of students, their being good morally and academically,"

Oh don’t worry little one if you don’t pass I will give you 50% to pass.clap2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently teaching at a new school that is obviously in it only for the money. Class sizes are 35 and 36 students. The desks are so compacted that there are no aisles for me to walk up and down to check students' work. We have been told that we are not there to teach, rather we are there to give the "appearance" of teaching.

Probably ALL schools "are in it for the money".....but your school sounds like it's really number one! whistling.gif

The 'good' side is that you don't really have to care about what and if you teach - the bad side is obviously that it's a terrible environment for both you and the kids.

Will you be staying at this school? There could certainly be many (unknown) factors that would make you want to stay...

Whatever, good luck with your teaching! smile.png