Thailand's Trash: Is There Really Room For Sustainability?

cMe2

I have recently noticed an increased awareness in Thai Government Schools on sustainability with regards to trash.

The Reduce Re-Use and Recycle approach has gained momentum hopefully for the future of the next genaration

However it has not filtered through to all populations and Waterside buildings still seem to be able to pump waste

into the waterways rather than recycling or reducing

The streets and waterways seem to double as garbage disposals and the waste is nearing if not alarming then critical

levels of pollution if we consider the advice from the Government's Pollution Contol Department

Nearby any street market are usually areas of littered plastic and general waste just dumped together

I don't beleive there is an enough being done to move towards more sustainable measures but without an education

program aimed at all levels of society littering and dumping of waste will just increase without any room to Reduce

Re-Use and Recycle

This may sound a little left field ... but what makes you think the Thais wish to recycle anything that doesn't have a direct monetary benefit back to them?

Not left field,Hit the nail on the head.

If only someone could find a way to make it fashionable, or a source of national pride to recycle .

and to reduce the use of non biodegradeable plastics .... would make for a better environment...

If only someone could find a way to make it fashionable, or a source of national pride to recycle .

and to make less use or avoid of non-biodegradeable materials in packaging...we may see less trash deposited everywhere..

This may sound a little left field ... but what makes you think the Thais wish to recycle anything that doesn't have a direct monetary benefit back to them?

Not all Thais seek a monetary benefit from their recycling efforts but a sustained and well educated program could encourage a reduction in waste..generally speaking..

Thais are bone idle , drive round any area there is crap everywhere, they could,nt care less.

I live out in the country and am forever removing crap from my lake, polystyrene cartons, glass bottles, plastic bags, you name it they chuck it.

Lokk on any central ditch on a main road, people even wander down them picking out odd bits they can sell.

Theyr,e lazy , nothing more to it than that. Out of the windiw it goes, i see them stand outside7-11 and drop crap, saw a kid aged 6 ish with parents at tesco chuck his sausage stick on the floor right in front of them, so the next generation are ready to continue with their filthy ways........ oh but make sure your appearance is good or that really wont do will it?

Needs someone from the Royal Family to endorse a 'Keep Thailand Tidy' campaign.

Thais are bone idle , drive round any area there is crap everywhere, they could,nt care less.

I live out in the country and am forever removing crap from my lake, polystyrene cartons, glass bottles, plastic bags, you name it they chuck it.

Lokk on any central ditch on a main road, people even wander down them picking out odd bits they can sell.

Theyr,e lazy , nothing more to it than that. Out of the windiw it goes, i see them stand outside7-11 and drop crap, saw a kid aged 6 ish with parents at tesco chuck his sausage stick on the floor right in front of them, so the next generation are ready to continue with their filthy ways........ oh but make sure your appearance is good or that really wont do will it?

Not all Thais pal... Just uneducated people in most countries including Thailand.