Baby Bonus - Poof - Gone In 60 Secs

David48

I agree with the sentiment of what you guys have written about above (though I don't about the negative gearing aspect if that just relates to housing) however ...

There was a positive case to be made in relation to the Baby Bonus also.

My partner and I are hoping for a child in the near future. That's not possible to be born in Australia as my partner doesn't have any status there and I can't afford the cost of childbirth in a Private Hospital in Australia.

So the baby bonus was part of our plan to settle in Australia and to use that money as intended ... to defray the costs of setting up all those things that you need to start family life.

But our situation is but one of a thousand different stories.

Can anyone see the positive side of the (current version) Baby Bonus?

If you can't afford children, you shouldn't have them.

tell that to the hundreds of thousands on family support A & B. In anycase the baby bonus was not an act of generosity by government but driven by policy to encourage an increase in birth rate i.e. more future tax payers.

Yeah well we do need more population 1 way or another.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baby Bonus is means tested. Even if you moved back to Australia after the birth with a view to claim the baby bonus, they'll be asking for proof of income from the previous months when you were living in Thailand.

• 3 weeks later...

It's taken a while, and still not reached a conclusion.

My question to Medicare ...

Eligibility for a new-born baby

I’m an Australian citizen, born and live here.

I have an girlfriend who is not Australian and there is no reciprocal healthcare arrangement etc.

I understand that if we decide to have our child in Australia then we are responsible for the costs of that birth. Is my understanding correct? There is no coverage from Medicare for the cost of the birth?

What I really need to know is what happens after the baby’s birth?

For example, if the baby is born in Australia and needs a humidicrib, is the baby then considered an Australian and thus qualifies for treatment under the Medicare System and thus, no cost to us?

Cheers

David

The reply, received on the 14/06/13, which took weeks to receives was as follows ...

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email dated 27 May 2013.

If one parent is an Australian citizen, the child will be an Australian citizen and is eligible for Medicare if also an Australia resident. Please note proof of birth will be required to be sighted by Medicare.

I trust this information will be of assistance.

Yours sincerely

Shweta *** (Surname removed)

Service officer, Enquiry Resolution

Provider Services Branch

Australian Government Department of Human Services

... blink.png

I piss you not ... that was the answer ... facepalm.gif

So, no answer to the 2 questions asked and remember I'm asking about a baby born in Australia and the part reply was 'Please note proof of birth will be required to be sighted by Medicare.'

Of course I'll follow up with that reply and inform you as I know more.

It's taken a while, and still not reached a conclusion.

My question to Medicare ...

Eligibility for a new-born baby

I’m an Australian citizen, born and live here.

I have an girlfriend who is not Australian and there is no reciprocal healthcare arrangement etc.

I understand that if we decide to have our child in Australia then we are responsible for the costs of that birth. Is my understanding correct? There is no coverage from Medicare for the cost of the birth?

What I really need to know is what happens after the baby’s birth?

For example, if the baby is born in Australia and needs a humidicrib, is the baby then considered an Australian and thus qualifies for treatment under the Medicare System and thus, no cost to us?

Cheers

David

The reply, received on the 14/06/13, which took weeks to receives was as follows ...

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email dated 27 May 2013.

If one parent is an Australian citizen, the child will be an Australian citizen and is eligible for Medicare if also an Australia resident. Please note proof of birth will be required to be sighted by Medicare.

I trust this information will be of assistance.

Yours sincerely

Shweta *** (Surname removed)

Service officer, Enquiry Resolution

Provider Services Branch

Australian Government Department of Human Services

... blink.png

I piss you not ... that was the answer ... facepalm.gif

So, no answer to the 2 questions asked and remember I'm asking about a baby born in Australia and the part reply was 'Please note proof of birth will be required to be sighted by Medicare.'

Of course I'll follow up with that reply and inform you as I know more.

Hi David48, Like most govt departments, they don't like to give too much info in case it's wrong and comes back to bite them on the arse.

Having said that, I think she has answered question 2 "If one parent is an Australian citizen, the child will be an Australian citizen and is eligible for Medicare if also an Australia resident". So child is eligible.

Proof of birth will obviously have to be provided as just because a child is born in Australia, it does not automatically make it a citizen. They will have to check if you're a citizen.

It shouldn't be too hard for clarification as you now have a "person" to contact.

Or have I misread this?

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

• 10 months later...

The Australian 2014/15 Budget was handed down last night and I expected to see something on the Baby Bonus.

But what I missed was this that happened earlier this year.

The Baby Bonus will be replaced from 1 March 2014 with a rate increase of Family Tax Benefit Part A for children who are born, taken into care for at least 13 weeks, or placed for adoption after 1 March 2014.

The extra Family Tax Benefit Part A payments for families will total $2,000 for their first child and $1,000 for subsequent children. It will be paid as an initial instalment of $500, with the rest rolled into normal fortnightly payments over a three month period.

This measure will also amend the Paid Parental Leave work test. Families with children born or adopted within 13 months of each other will have their previous Paid Parental Leave period count towards the work test for their next child. This will allow families to more easily qualify for Parental Leave Pay for their second child.

Who will be affected by this measure?

People who are caring for a child born or adopted after 1 March 2014.

Here ...