I Will Table Amnesty Bill Next Week, Says Chalerm

webfact

I will table amnesty bill next week, says Chalerm
Pimnara Pradubwit
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said yesterday he would push for a national reconciliation bill for Parliament's deliberation next Thursday.

Chalerm said he was delighted that as many as 149 Pheu Thai Party MPs endorsed the bill with their signatures. Since the bill has received overwhelming support, he said, he wants to table it for House deliberation next Thursday.

Asked if the bill he is pushing would enable ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to come home, Chalerm said it depends if Thaksin wants to return because the bill does not mention Thaksin by name.

Chalerm said he was confident that the opposition would not dismiss the legislation, as it had with other versions of reconciliation bills. He said it aims to grant amnesty to concerned people involved in political incidents from 2006 to the Pitak Siam group rally in Bangkok in November last year.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-16

I thought parliament was in recession?

Like why someone got went back to the can, then unfortunately released on bail..

If he wants to come back???

And face all the other criminal charges against him or will he be excused them as well?

If so that would mean that all those accused with him on those charges would also have to be let off...............................er the rights of the victims?

I remember at the time of the election he stated 'this isn't about bringing him back to Thailand nor whitewashing anything.' Hope this man gets what he deserves one day. (Though he does do a good job of making himself lose a lot of face).

You grant amnesty to political refugees , guess you could put Thaksin in that category, I'd say that there is a lot of people in Thailand that would like to see him return, however whether this is to Thaskins advantage, only time will tell, my advice, may it be ever so humble, is for Thaskin to stay away, for piece to remain in the country he loves ,I hope I am not in Thailand when or if the Sh!!t hits the fan.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I remember at the time of the election he stated 'this isn't about bringing him back to Thailand nor whitewashing anything.' Hope this man gets what he deserves one day. (Though he does do a good job of making himself lose a lot of face).

He's now saying WHEN the bill is passed it will be up to Mr.T if he wants to come back or not, IF? His private jet will be circling in international airspace waiting for the signal that the bill has passed.

• Like 1

You grant amnesty to political refugees , guess you could put Thaksin in that category, I'd say that there is a lot of people in Thailand that would like to see him return, however whether this is to Thaskins advantage, only time will tell, my advice, may it be ever so humble, is for Thaskin to stay away, for piece to remain in the country he loves ,I hope I am not in Thailand when or if the Sh!!t hits the fan.coffee1.gif

He is a fugitive from a criminal conviction and should he return will face other more serious criminal charges. Nothing to do with being a political refugee.

• Like 1

He is on record, two or three weeks ago, stating that this bill will clear Thaksin of his conviction and all other charges.

Why the opposition is so afraid that the bill will allow Thaksin to return.

Let him come back, I'm sure there is no reconciliation bill that can save him from bullets coming his way.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 2

Well i guess we haven't had a violent spat recently, so Chalerm is going to do his damnedest to get one going!

If he's cravin' another round of violence, he could just attend some night clubs around Ratchada with his animal sons & their guns.

How do you 'push' for national reconciliation? Seems very odd.

Push infers force and people can't be reconciled by force. Can they?

Reconciliation stems from mutual agreement and respect and until that happens then very, very sadly reconciliation will remain a pipe dream for Thailand.

• Like 1

Well, I always understood, that Dr T could return anytime he wishes. He would have to face the music though.
If handyman Chalerm Yubamrung steamrollers the landing strip with amnesty bills it will be certainly not to his disadvantage as Dr T still has some THB 46'000'000'000 (or one billion Pound Sterling) frozen by the Kingdom. In order to make it look good not even his sister, voted into the second-highest chair in the land, could unfreeze the cash legally. So Chalerm is moving in with the bill and sooner or later it will pass.
As an outsider looking in I personally dont care as this is a Thai thing but I wonder how happy the yellow shirts and the elite of Bangkok will be about the fact that Dr T is back in town again - eventually and sooner or later!

On vera, ca finira mal - as the French say (let's see, it will finish bad)!

Asked if the bill he is pushing would enable ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to come home, Chalerm said it depends if Thaksin wants to return because the bill does not mention Thaksin by name.

656_no_bullshit_decal__38957-300x300.jpg

Well, let's see. Amnesty/Reconciliation or any other thing you want to call them, are passed. The "Prodigal Son" & "Savior of Thailand" returns. All is well in the Land of Smiles. Untill someone from the "other side" puts a bullet into him. Result? Civil war over a man who doesn't really give a crap about the people who have, and will, die for him, but only for himself.

When I was a youngster growing up, I read a lot of Will Rogers and like minded peoples articles and quotes. Thank the gods these 'good old boys', never met Chalerm as we would have never have heard their opptimistic views.

"I never met a man I did not like"

"God put a little good into everyone"

"No one can distroy all their mothers love, for them"

"Even bad people contibute some good to society"

• Like 1

According to the Bangkok Post, Chalerm's bill will need review and acceptance by Yingluck, since it is "finance-related". It is "finance-related", apparently, because it involves "financial compensation for people affected by actions of the state".

• Like 1

Like why someone got went back to the can, then unfortunately released on bail..

The House is recessed. Until August. Evidentally, Chalerm is drunk again and thinks August is next week.

Published: April 19, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Yubamrung plans to present his bill during the next parliamentary session, which begins in August

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/Special/2013/04/19/Thailand-considers-amnesty-bill/UPI-37301366344660/#ixzz2TcYeASbr

Edited by centrala
  • Like 1

The House is recessed. Until August. Evidentally, Chalerm is drunk again and thinks August is next week.

Published: April 19, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Yubamrung plans to present his bill during the next parliamentary session, which begins in August

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/Special/2013/04/19/Thailand-considers-amnesty-bill/UPI-37301366344660/#ixzz2TcYeASbr

Aren't they having a special session next week?

Good to see that theNation is not alone in making funny mistakes sometimes, the UPI link shows

"Indonesia's Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung will propose a bill"

According to the Bangkok Post, Chalerm's bill will need review and acceptance by Yingluck, since it is "finance-related". It is "finance-related", apparently, because it involves "financial compensation for people affected by actions of the state".

Or do they mean "finance-related" as in you get a bit extra if you vote as we tell you.