David Beckham Has Announced His Retirement From Professional Football

Lite Beer

Personally, my interest in footballers doesn't go too far beyond what they do on the pitch and their football careers, and unless they are hitting the News pages because of run-ins with the laws, making appearances in court and such, i really don't hear about them, as i don't allow myself to get exposed to all this media titter tatter nonsense about them, or to all the gossip column crap about which underwear model they are currently shagging.

People who judge David Beckham almost entirely by what does in that side of the media, and seem to hate him for it... well, it seems to me that these people are their own worst enemies, and i can't help wondering why it is that they carry on exposing themselves to this sort of crap. It's really not that hard to avoid you know?

Personally i'm just sick of seeing him and his misses plastered over the papers, on tv, billboards et al. I just can't understand the media interest. Its bizarre.

I like to remember a young Beckham under Ferguson's charge. Dedicated professional, no toothpick of a spice girl hanging on, Back then he was a real footballer not a media celeb.

Lets give some credit to SAF, he was astute enough to see the circus that Brandname Beckham had become.

Becks can put whatever spin on it he wants, I wonder if he regrets those wasted years in America?

Or was the money more important to him than football?

see i never thought it was about the money. i always thought it was about adoration and celebrity, the money was just a by-product. this need to be recognised and loved on a global scale, even though you've stopped doing the thing that made you famous in the first place. much like his wife of course.

i wouldn't want my kids to look at beckham as a role model or idol. you want to pick a footballer, pick paul scholes. don't pick beckham.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, my interest in footballers doesn't go too far beyond what they do on the pitch and their football careers, and unless they are hitting the News pages because of run-ins with the laws, making appearances in court and such, i really don't hear about them, as i don't allow myself to get exposed to all this media titter tatter nonsense about them, or to all the gossip column crap about which underwear model they are currently shagging.

People who judge David Beckham almost entirely by what does in that side of the media, and seem to hate him for it... well, it seems to me that these people are their own worst enemies, and i can't help wondering why it is that they carry on exposing themselves to this sort of crap. It's really not that hard to avoid you know?

Personally i'm just sick of seeing him and his misses plastered over the papers, on tv, billboards et al. I just can't understand the media interest. Its bizarre.

I like to remember a young Beckham under Ferguson's charge. Dedicated professional, no toothpick of a spice girl hanging on, Back then he was a real footballer not a media celeb.

Lets give some credit to SAF, he was astute enough to see the circus that Brandname Beckham had become.

Becks can put whatever spin on it he wants, I wonder if he regrets those wasted years in America?

Or was the money more important to him than football?

see i never thought it was about the money. i always thought it was about adoration and celebrity, the money was just a by-product. this need to be recognised and loved on a global scale, even though you've stopped doing the thing that made you famous in the first place. much like his wife of course.

i wouldn't want my kids to look at beckham as a role model or idol. you want to pick a footballer, pick paul scholes. don't pick beckham.

pick paul scholes

Couldnt have said it better.

No fuss no fanfare, neither wants to be or feels the need to be the centre of attention.

Enjoy your retirement Paul Scholes.

Envy is an ugly thing.thumbsup.gif

You don't understand do you.

Carms. jelly speaks from an international perspective of the guy and how Beckham has behaved in the public eye the world over. I think he understands more than you think and isn't clouded by our English club rivalry bias.

• Like 1

Its always been my impression that those folks who whine and moan the most about professional athletes, money and fame are the very folks that would behave in the very same way... if they were in a position to do so. But they're not in the same position, and that's what galls them no end.wai2.gif

I don't even watch the soccer, but I know how good this man is. A great ambassador for the game.thumbsup.gif

I concur. I'm a City fan and have no allegiance to Beckham but I don't know what the beef is against him really. This is a guy who's career could have gone pear shaped after that sending off in the world cup. Instead he (and his pr team) got back in the nations (and world) good books.

Let's face it, nobody could cross a ball like him, especially a dead ball. He won 115 caps for England and done numerous amounts of roles as Ambassador. His marriage to a famous Spice Girl has lasted a lot longer than many of these football stars who marry their girl next door. The guy has hardly put a foot wrong in his whole career but he still gets grief. I just don't get it.

I say good luck to the guy.

Who gives him grief? I think its suffice to say that after fifteen years years i'm sick of the sight of "Beckham this, Beckham that!" I don't want to turn on my television and see him poncing around in a sarong. I don't care what he does of an evening and i'm not interested with the love affair he and his missus have with paparazzi and their cameras.

Nothing against the guy personally, he's nice but dim which is fine. Never hurt anyone, never slags people off. I'm just sick of the sight of Mr&Mrs Beckham.

• Like 2

Carms. jelly speaks from an international perspective of the guy and how Beckham has behaved in the public eye the world over. I think he understands more than you think and isn't clouded by our English club rivalry bias.

I still don't understand who or what his post relates too though

good riddance. epitome of everything that's wrong with football now. glad to see the back of the walking billboard.

I think that this is probably the most ridiculous post that I have ever read on TV>

what is ridiculous is that anyone gives a shit

Some truth in that MrBoj. For me Beckham has been a very good footballer, who was "handled" by someone who was extremely savvy about banking on his footballing fame, good looks and all the rest. For all the grief he gets from some people he should have been an amalgam of Barton, Suarez et al.

I don't even watch the soccer, but I know how good this man is. A great ambassador for the game.thumbsup.gif

I concur. I'm a City fan and have no allegiance to Beckham but I don't know what the beef is against him really. This is a guy who's career could have gone pear shaped after that sending off in the world cup. Instead he (and his pr team) got back in the nations (and world) good books.

Let's face it, nobody could cross a ball like him, especially a dead ball. He won 115 caps for England and done numerous amounts of roles as Ambassador. His marriage to a famous Spice Girl has lasted a lot longer than many of these football stars who marry their girl next door. The guy has hardly put a foot wrong in his whole career but he still gets grief. I just don't get it.

1-Nothing against the guy personally, 2-he's nice but dim which is fine. 3-Never hurt anyone, never slags people off.

1-...., not so sure about that me ol son. One thinks this borders on obsession.

2-...., I find this highly amusing, quiet and mild mannered (with a high pitched voice), is nice but dim now....? I beg to differ, and argue that he is an extremely astute business man, with a great team behind him... If you want a comparison, think Wayne Rooney...!

3-..., <deleted> is wrong with that...?

redrus

good riddance. epitome of everything that's wrong with football now. glad to see the back of the walking billboard.

I think that this is probably the most ridiculous post that I have ever read on TV>

what is ridiculous is that anyone gives a shit

So........, eeeeeeeeerrr....., why post then...?

redrus

• Like 2

Personally i think Beckham was a veryu good footballer and has had some smart people round him. Not looking for the big cash in now and see you later. But they saw the long term and now he has retired. He will still go on to make more money. Though i believe he actually does it for the love of it too. Good luck to him. Thats what i say.

• Like 2

Really, I don't follow it either but l do remember when he got sent off for kicking a bloke while representing our country. sad.png But, rock stars have been given gongs though they have criminal records sooooooooooooo why not have your thoughts. thumbsup.gif

1-Nothing against the guy personally, 2-he's nice but dim which is fine. 3-Never hurt anyone, never slags people off.

1-...., not so sure about that me ol son. One thinks this borders on obsession.

2-...., I find this highly amusing, quiet and mild mannered (with a high pitched voice), is nice but dim now....? I beg to differ, and argue that he is an extremely astute business man, with a great team behind him... If you want a comparison, think Wayne Rooney...!

3-..., <deleted> is wrong with that...?

redrus

Sorry Rus but have you actually read my post?

1 Obsession. Where do you get that from?

2 Are you seriously trying to tell me he's in anyway masterminding his business decisions!! He's nice but dim and theres nought wrong with that just the way it is. Remember i too have been listening to his painful interviews too.

3 Where did i say there was anything wrong with that?

Anything else more sensible to say?

Desperate stuff mate...

Really, I don't follow it either but l do remember when he got sent off for kicking a bloke while representing our country. sad.png But, rock stars have been given gongs though they have criminal records sooooooooooooo why not have your thoughts. thumbsup.gif

All that sending off did was highlight the stupidity of FIFA. Add to that Simione was an a"hole

• Like 1

Posted Today, 12:58

carmine, on 17 May 2013 - 08:01, said:snapback.png

2 Are you seriously trying to tell me he's in anyway masterminding his business decisions!! He's nice but dim and theres nought wrong with that just the way it is. Remember i too have been listening to his painful interviews too.

Desperate stuff mate...

Of course I read your post, I read ALL of the posts you write....whistling.gif

1-, Obsession, you keep going on about him, even though you protest that you don't like him and, are sick of hearing/seeing/reading about him. One would have thought that reason to stay away from this thread after maybe an initial comment, then diplomatically retreat.

One thinks one doth protest, too much. Obsession.

2- Yes, I am. Again, I repeat the Rooney comparison.

3- I didn't say you did. I just repeated 'your' statement.

Why desperate, I'm just having a bit of banter with you, why degenerate it into mud slinging...?giggle.gif

redrus

At one stage he was the main cog in the England team, as a captain and player always gave 100% and backed that up with some truly inspired performances, and and for those i'm happy to say 'thanks a lot'. As for the rest, tbh, i'm not in the least bit interested and unless its football related, from me he will now get the same treatment as the royal family, ignored

Posted Today, 12:58

carmine, on 17 May 2013 - 08:01, said:snapback.png

>

Desperate stuff mate...

Of course I read your post, I read ALL of the posts you write....whistling.gif

1-, Obsession, you keep going on about him, even though you protest that you don't like him and, are sick of hearing/seeing/reading about him. One would have thought that reason to stay away from this thread after maybe an initial comment, then diplomatically retreat.

One thinks one doth protest, too much. Obsession.

2- Yes, I am. Again, I repeat the Rooney comparison.

3- I didn't say you did. I just repeated 'your' statement.

Why desperate, I'm just having a bit of banter with you, why degenerate it into mud slinging...?giggle.gif

redrus

Sorry no mud slinging intended! Truthfully, though Russ, arn't you at least sick of the sight of his ghastly camera loving "Posh" misses?sick.gif

he was an excellent football player at united. since then he's just been a mannequin rolled out all over the place for hawking shirts and merchandise. total and utter corporate, media and celebrity whore. not been a footballer for years.
Maybe you didn't watch any of his MLS games Stevie. Yes, I disliked his media projection, but lets not go overboard because he's United. I saw several Galaxy games as recently as 3 years ago and his appearance was certainly more than cameo and his touch (long passing and free kicks) was still sublime. There are a whole host of odious footballers out there who are much more deserving of your disdain. IMO

Its not so much a disdain for him personally is it. Theres nothing personal on here about him, bar from me, that he's dim and tbh i thought that was a given. His interviews are boring and at times painful to watch although in recent years they have become slightly less so presumably through copious amounts of coaching.

Its about the whole Beckham surround that he courts so avidly. I am just sick of it. Thats my view, Stevie can give you his

Edited by carmine

Arsene Wengers view, for what it's worth (which I only happened across after previous posting btw - you know I'm no Wenger yesman!).

Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger has admitted he had previously been interested in signing the midfielder but could not afford to pay his wages at the time. Beckham, 38, who announced his retirement on Thursday, has had spells training with Arsenal but never played for the Gunners.

"I have a huge respect for his passion for the game, his huge commitment, his mental strengths because he was under a lot of pressure throughout his career, and his dedication. I think that is where he is an example," Wenger said.

Asked if he had ever been interested in signing him, Wenger said: "Yes I was, but it was at the period where we could not afford to pay him. After that it was a question mark as well before he went to Milan, but he was in a position where we did not really need players.

"It was always a pleasure to have him here for his attitude and behaviour, he gained respect from everybody through his dedication and commitment. What remains in your memory is his genuine commitment and dedication, his natural humility which he always had, that will stay forever. You forget sometimes if he has won this championship or that championship, but you never forget how he behaved, and that is a credit to him."

Sure thing Carmine, his interviews were excruciating. Pure Monty Python - "well, Brian, I'm opening a boutique"

Edited by SantiSuk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22565041

Fergie's take:

"You talk about longevity and in many ways reinventing himself, it has been absolutely incredible," Ferguson said.

"When he went to America there wasn't a person in this place who really thought he could have a career," Ferguson added about Beckham's move to LA Galaxy in 2007.

"Yet he went on and still played for his country, he played for AC Milan in European ties and he played for PSG in European ties, and I don't think anyone could have imagined that."

The former England captain joined LA Galaxy four years later and Ferguson praised the part his athletic ability had played in such a successful career. In winning the Ligue 1 title with PSG last week,Beckham became the first English player to win top-flight league titles in four different countries.

Ferguson added: "The one thing he always had was unbelievable stamina as a kid. He had the best stamina in the club.

"He could run all day, and that has allowed him to stay in the game at that kind of level, playing for his country in his mid 30s. Coming from American football to do that is quite amazing, and he is an amazing person.

"I think he's picked the right time [to retire]. He's won the league again with PSG and he is exactly the same as me, he has plenty of things to do.

"He's a young man, we know that fashion will be his role I would imagine but he will have plenty of things to do."

Edited by rixalex

Im a United Fan and to say he has done nothing after United is complete nonsense!! Left United to play for Real Madrid, the richest club in the world. Played well for them. Played for Milan and contributed. PSG thing was a joke! When he was dropped Real started the season badly, after a recall Real went on to win the league.

It is invariably assumed that Fabio Capello took the decision to ditch him but it was actually taken by Ramón Calderón and Pedrag Mijatovic, the president and sporting director. When Capello defied "suggestions" from above and brought him back into the team, Real began an astonishing comeback that ended with a league title.

A goal in around every 5 games from midfield all the way through his career. Deadly from dead balls and probably the finest crosser of the ball ever.

I think apart from the media circus the only mistake he made was going to America too early.

You can knock the media nonsense but as a player he was class! Only behind the mighty Paul Scholes in my opinion!

• Like 1

Mooner.

Great post fella.

redrus

You're obsessed

Hahahahahaha, yeah, but I like the guy....

You're obsessed with a man who's wife you also despise..... Jealousy.. ;)

redrus