Man Who Killed Ex-Wife In Bangkok Lands In Israel

webfact

Man who killed ex-wife in Bangkok lands in Israel
By BEN HARTMAN, YONAH JEREMY BOB

i.jpg

file photo

TEL AVIV: -- Eli Cohen lands, leaves over fear of arrest; Ministry of Justice: No basis to try him after he is pardoned by King of Thailand.

Eight years after he was sentenced to life in prison for murdering his ex-wife Carol and dumping her dismembered body in a Bangkok river, Eli Cohen returned to Israel on Thursday following a pardon late last year by the king of Thailand.

Cohen, an Israeli citizen, had served only eight years out of a 150-year sentence.

A number of reports stated that immediately after landing, Cohen boarded a connecting flight to another location, possibly out of fear that he would be rearrested.

The Justice Ministry said on Thursday that it had nothing to do with Cohen’s return and no intention of getting involved.

The ministry spokesman said that since Cohen had both been convicted and served time in another country for his crimes, the State of Israel would have no basis to try him.

Full story: http://www.jpost.com/National-News/Man-who-murdered-ex-wife-in-Bangkok-lands-in-Israel-313324

-- THE JERUSALEM POST 2013-05-17

We are not here to judge the wisdom of the powers that made the decision.

just to say there is an uproar in Israel on the news of his early pardon, release and

arrival to Israel, people there find it very hard to comprehend as to why a confessed

killer and body mutilator has been released only after 3 years of incarceration,

It is not unusual for foreign prisoners to be sent to their country of origin to complete the term of imprisonment. It is now up to Israel to decide what they want to do.

This case is slightly different, in that, he was pardoned by HM the King and therefore deemed to have served his sentence and is otherwise considered a free man. Unless Israel can indite Mr Cohen on something else, this case is done.

• Like 2

Carol's family must be thrilled that Eli was set free.

Be careful with your criticism, think about who made the decision to free him

IMO no need to think about it at all as the post hasn't been removed. If it had breached the

forum rules it would be gone by now. I am sure if it was a member of your family that he murdered

and mutilated, you wouldn't be too thrilled at his release.

I don't see anyone here advocating his release.

If he was Australian (for arguments sake) and received a royal pardon, he would not be re-arrested and re-tried once he arrived back home, so why are some trying to hold Israel to higher levels of accountability? Hmm?

Edited by Judo Chop

I don't see anyone here advocating his release.

If he was Australian (for arguments sake) and received a royal pardon, he would not be re-arrested and re-tried once he arrived back home, so why are some trying to hold Israel to higher levels of accountability? Hmm?

Are you trying to play the Israel card?

I would want his government to consider the offence and the punishment he had received no matter what country was 'home'.

Maybe a civil suit can be brought against him.

• Like 1

I remember this one. Somebody fished the suitcase out of the river expecting I'm sure to find some good stuff inside...must have been an interesting moment when it was opened revealing instead, a well packed, dis-membered body.

The murderer made a dumb-ass rookie mistake...he'd wrapped the body parts in towels. Unfortunately for him the towels were embossed with the name of the hotel where he and the suitcase contents were guests thus the police did not have to strain to much to solve the mystery. The BIB got a lot of face time on TV with this one.

Even with Thailand's low standard; it does cost money to keep people in jail, westerners especially with their constant whining to homecountry press about the supposedly inhuman conditions they are suffering. The Thais probably believe that 8 years made their point; don't misuse hotel towels in the Kingdom!

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

Carol's family must be thrilled that Eli was set free.

Be careful with your criticism, think about who made the decision to free him

I'd rather think about the question why this particular person was pardoned...

• Like 1

Lets all watch our posts shall we? The rule regarding discussion of HM the King is a very strict one and it can result in a total ban for those who step over the line.

Amazingly the average time a convicted murderer is incarcerated in thailand is about 7 years. This assumes confession and good prison behavior. I know this from editing a paper by a crim law professor.

if life over here is 150 years that means ive got 101 years left here,,yeehaa,,im bound to get a half decent tan b4 i go to uk to visit family,,presuming they live just as long over there,,the green mile,

Do not understand this one

guilty and sentenced for murder and gets pardoned after only 8 years.

I think he got off pretty lightly

It is hard to understand, however, pardoned after 8 years for murder is perfectly normal in Thailand and unrelated to the fact that he is a foreigner!

Edited by ricklev