Tyre Question

Would like to hear your advise before I go to BQuick, Cockpit or any other tire dealer as I already know there answer "oh, can not sir, can not repair, can not, can not"

Noticed that my tire is damaged (small cut) but want to know if this still can be repaired yes / no?

Depends how big and how deep the cut is. If it has damaged the casing plies the tyre is probably not worth repairing.

If the cut is small enough to repair but resulted in the tyre loosing pressure and it ran at low pressure for an extended period, it may also be risky to reuse.

If you have a hole in the tyre it can be plugged safely by any tyre repairer you mention, or it can be repaired and also use an inner tube for added integrity.

If you have a cut in the tyre that has pierced through to the inside causing loss of air, then I'd suggest that the integrity of the tyre is very questionable and even if it can be repaired and even if an inner tube is inserted to a state that it retains air, I wouldn't want to be a passenger in the car - highly unsafe as the tyre can fall apart at any moment.

You say small cut.

If it doesn't leak air change it over and kep it as your spare.

If the spare is a temporary type, be safe and get the damaged tyre replaced.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

If the cut is in the side wall of the tyre dump it, nobody will repair any side wall damage, even a nail hole.sad.png

Agree, if its in or near to the sidewall, don't take any chances, its not worth risking your life for.

• Like 2

If the cut is in the side wall of the tyre dump it, nobody will repair any side wall damage, even a nail hole.sad.png

Not necessarily true. I had a cut/puncture from a nail and also a tread puncture. The first one was just over the edge of the tread about a quarter inch on the side.The local tire shop looked at the tire and and showed me how he repairs this using a hot patch system. He dismounted the tire and repaired both with this system. About 2 hours later all is well and I am still using the tire now after almost a year. I was skeptical about the fix but reading on Google shows this as an acceptable fix

Not necessarily true. I had a cut/puncture from a nail and also a tread puncture. The first one was just over the edge of the tread about a quarter inch on the side.The local tire shop looked at the tire and and showed me how he repairs this using a hot patch system. He dismounted the tire and repaired both with this system. About 2 hours later all is well and I am still using the tire now after almost a year. I was skeptical about the fix but reading on Google shows this as an acceptable fix

Thats strange, they won't repair sidewall damage in UK, they won't repair sidewall damage in ''LOS'', but they will in the USA. sad.png

Thats strange, they won't repair sidewall damage in UK, they won't repair sidewall damage in ''LOS'', but they will in the USA. sad.png

Didn't read anything regarding the U.S. in his post? That close to the tread though and a small enough puncture with a patch on the inside it is possible, just not recommended...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Didn't read anything regarding the U.S. in his post? That close to the tread though and a small enough puncture with a patch on the inside it is possible, just not recommended...

Look at the guys avatar.

not necessarily true. I had a cut/puncture from a nail and also a tread puncture. The first one was just over the edge of the tread about a quarter inch on the side.The local tire shop looked at the tire and and showed me how he repairs this using a hot patch system. He dismounted the tire and repaired both with this system. About 2 hours later all is well and I am still using the tire now after almost a year. I was skeptical about the fix but reading on Google shows this as an acceptable fix

Look at the guys avatar.

Yeah so what?? Big jump from an avatar to an assumption that it's common practice in the states innit or he's referring to the states in his OP? huh.png Not to mention some people here and on other sites have avatars that suggest they may be a chimp or someone even famous (Stig also comes to mind, not as a chimp though) or even from another dimension doesn't mean they are, though in my case, I could be....

Stig that is biggrin.png .....

• Like 1

I never said the repairs were made in the USA. I said "local tire shop". The shop happens to be here in Ban Chang

My apologies, I didn't really think anyone in the USA would repair it thumbsup.gif . Now I understand that someone for a 100 bht doesn't care about your safety. Below is a cross section of a radial tyre where common sense tells us why you do not try and repair a sidewall. sad.png Theres no meat on this very flexable part of the construction.

post-41816-0-32909300-1368940684_thumb.p

Actually super glue works really well with bonding rubber.. Not sure I'd feel confident in using it on a tire though.

I with you on the glue thing but that cut looks very small would say check to see how deep it is and that said it's on the thick part of the tyre.

As for the back wheel not being important even if it's 4x4 it's a rear wheel drive vehicle mainly so it is important.

It looks like he has a Vigo the spare is a usable tyre not a temporary one " well my Vigo spare was " and if I was bothered as I said before keep as a spare and get it changed onto the spare wheel rim.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

Actually super glue works really well with bonding rubber.. Not sure I'd feel confident in using it on a tire though.

I with you on the glue thing but that cut looks very small would say check to see how deep it is and that said it's on the thick part of the tyre.

As for the back wheel not being important even if it's 4x4 it's a rear wheel drive vehicle mainly so it is important.

It looks like he has a Vigo the spare is a usable tyre not a temporary one " well my Vigo spare was " and if I was bothered as I said before keep as a spare and get it changed onto the spare wheel rim.

Yep that's what I meant too but wasn't very clear on, could be repaired for a spare but I wouldn't be confident for a daily driver..

Thanks for all your comments so far, don't understand why I can't upload pictures in a post so lets do it this way, tyre looks like this:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/89/20130517082447.jpg/

Maybe 'glue' will help, can try it - important or not its my back wheel, passengers seat.

I only catch up here on a Sunday. It seems the image has been removed?