Laxatives

mark45y

I have a Thai female friend, 37 who attempts to control her weight with the use of laxatives. She takes some almost every day. Is this harmful to her health?

It can be, depending on the type and amount. There are various kinds of laxatives. Those that stimulate the intestinal tract can cause irritation which over time can lead to inflammatory bowel diseases. If she takes enough to cause diarrhea, over time this can result in fluid and electrolyte imbalance and nutritional deficiences. On the other hand, bulk laxatives (like mucillin, a form pysillium) are harmless and may help a little with weight control in that they help the person feel full. In my experience though most Thai women are taking the stimulant type to indice diarrhea, which as mentioned, is potentially harmful when used in excess amopunt or frequenc

This kind of behavior if it is combined with compulsive eating binges qualifies as bulimia, an eating disorder indicative of psychological problems. Even if there are no binges, it suggests at least problems in self-image. It is becoming quite common in Thai women as the prevalent fashion is for extreme thinness.

Eating disorders, both mild and severe, are often a sign of underlying depression and unresolved trauma. It is especially common in women who have suffered sexual or any other type of physical or emotional abuse.

In any case, she would, if willing, probably benefit from counseling and possibly anti-depressent medication (which can also help with binge eating) but that last should be decided by a qualified professional.

You don't mention whether or not she is actually overweight. If she is, you can also tell her that stimulant type laxatives do not cause a real weight loss, just a temporary loss of fluid that is unhealthy, whereas bulk laxatives (pysillium) are safe and may actually help her lose weight (if she really needs to) if taken before meals by creating a sense of fulness. If she is not overweight then it is not advisable to feed into this preoccupation; rather, assure her she looks fine and suggest she consider counseling and/or antideprerssents to improve how she feels aboyut herself.

Good luck to her.

I have a Thai female friend, 37 who attempts to control her weight with the use of laxatives. She takes some almost every day. Is this harmful to her health?

It can be, depending on the type and amount. There are various kinds of laxatives. Those that stimulate the intestinal tract can cause irritation which over time can lead to inflammatory bowel diseases. If she takes enough to cause diarrhea, over time this can result in fluid and electrolyte imbalance and nutritional deficiences. On the other hand, bulk laxatives (like mucillin, a form pysillium) are harmless and may help a little with weight control in that they help the person feel full. In my experience though most Thai women are taking the stimulant type to indice diarrhea, which as mentioned, is potentially harmful when used in excess amopunt or frequenc

This kind of behavior if it is combined with compulsive eating binges qualifies as bulimia, an eating disorder indicative of psychological problems. Even if there are no binges, it suggests at least problems in self-image. It is becoming quite common in Thai women as the prevalent fashion is for extreme thinness.

Eating disorders, both mild and severe, are often a sign of underlying depression and unresolved trauma. It is especially common in women who have suffered sexual or any other type of physical or emotional abuse.

In any case, she would, if willing, probably benefit from counseling and possibly anti-depressent medication (which can also help with binge eating) but that last should be decided by a qualified professional.

You don't mention whether or not she is actually overweight. If she is, you can also tell her that stimulant type laxatives do not cause a real weight loss, just a temporary loss of fluid that is unhealthy, whereas bulk laxatives (pysillium) are safe and may actually help her lose weight (if she really needs to) if taken before meals by creating a sense of fulness. If she is not overweight then it is not advisable to feed into this preoccupation; rather, assure her she looks fine and suggest she consider counseling and/or antideprerssents to improve how she feels aboyut herself.

Good luck to her.

No, she is not depressed in the least. She is just vain. She had a very physically active job and now she has a sedentary one and has not adjusted her eating habits to the change in exercise. She is overweight for the average Thai but not by Western standards.

I have really not seen any binge eating. She eats like a Thai woman, mostly healthy food a lot of greens and fruit and noodles and rice with a little chicken and pork.

Apparently a lot of Thai women do the laxative thing.

I will enclose a pic of the bottle.

post-26885-1143188739_thumb.jpg

Edited by mark45y

Good luck to her.

A perfect post, an ex girlfriend was Bulimic and used laxatives.

No, she is not depressed in the least. She is just vain. She had a very physically active job and now she has a sedentary one and has not adjusted her eating habits to the change in exercise. She is overweight for the average Thai but not by Western standards.

I have really not seen any binge eating. She eats like a Thai woman, mostly healthy food a lot of greens and fruit and noodles and rice with a little chicken and pork.

Apparently a lot of Thai women do the laxative thing.

I will enclose a pic of the bottle.

I don't recognize the pix except that for sure it's not a bulk laxative. So what I said re stimulant laxatives applies. It is unhealthy to repeatedly induce diarrhea, which is what she is probably doing. True that a lot of Thai women do it (especially high college girls who have become obsessed with being ultra-thin) but that doesn't mean it's harmless. You could try telling her that the weight loss she may think she sees is just temporary loss of fluid, and suggest she switch over to a bulk laxative (pysillium, mucillinetc) taken in a little unsweetened fruit juice before eating and whenever she feels hungry between meals. This will not cause diarrhea, but will help by creating a feeling of fullness so that she eats a little less. Since all these agents do is add non-absorbable bulk, they are harmless. By the way, you can also tell her to try sipping the Malee brand (or other brand of non-additive, non-sweetened) apple juice -- only 40 calories a glass, tastes good and I find it greatly helps reduce hunger.

Of course, the other approach would be to find some way of getting regular exercise, since that seems to be the cause of the problem.

Basically there are 3 healthy choices here: eat less calories, get more exercise, or learn to accept being a little heavier than she likes.

Of course, up to her if she's inclined to listen to your advice.

Prolonged use of laxatives means that her intestines won't do any work for themselves and she will have to rely on them to go to the bathroom eventually. Not nice.

very true !

another thing is - laxatives don't realy help to "burn fat" and therefore to loose weight. it is more like good detox method and mostly used as such. well, effective for constipation too (although same thing inevitable as skylar mentions here).

people as usually try to be clever and use what they think fastest and easiest method for what has been a result of not so fast accumulation - fat ! :o and only yesterday I've been discussing this matter with friend, who said that "fat burning" is mostly methabolism matter, and very complex at that, rather than simplification as "butter melting" wich accurs due to application of some external factors as heat (we were seating in Sauna :D ) or other external things.

laxatieves can be used as preliminary step (colon cleansing) in LONG weight losing process (as whatever sort of diet or proper fasting) which won't be much effective without it. but it is not a remedy in itself (I mean - fat is located in other areas, and not as easily flushed away as sh1t :D ).

I'm sitting here at work in the hospital and thought I'd add my opinion. The bottle you showed, although I can't make out the label, looks to be magnesium citrate. Common laxative. Uses osmotic pressure, IE draws water into the colon to "flush" 2 big issues here, dehydration and the previously mentioned loss of bowel tone with any chronic use of laxatives. Definately not attractive. Eat less, excercise more, and stop worrying about Nicole Ritchies 13 inch waist.

Best of luck

Prolonged use of laxatives means that her intestines won't do any work for themselves and she will have to rely on them to go to the bathroom eventually. Not nice.
Sounds right,

It certainly says for temporary symptoms ... not to use for more then ... days, etc, on most laxative labels.

I'd also assume since anything has already past down the alimentary canal, fat, calories, etc, would have been absorbed already, :o

i dont think the medicine shown is a laxative.

from the labelling , it seems to be a traditional old herbal remedy for irregular periods , it claims to regularize them.

I am having a hard time writing this without being crude. She buys all of these home remedy bottles of things at the local pharmacy. As we are walking to the market to get lunch she asks what I want. I tell her cow men gai. She says you eat all the time because you afraid get diarrhea. She further states that she likes diarrhea. I ask why and she says because it keeps weight off. Then we stop by the pharmacy and she buys that bottle. I ask her what is for and she points to her lower body and makes an outward sweeping gesture with her hand and says whoosh whoosh. She does not say ben men which I think means period time or see dang which she says when she has her period. She also buys packets of red powder which she mixes with rice whiskey and takes. I am not real comfortable discussing this subject with her as I don’t want to embarrass her. So I will keep watching her medications and ask again if I see something I don’t understand. Thanks a lot for the information.