Yangtze Jiang Review

LawrenceChee

May be they are good at something else. I didn't like their Xiaolongbao as it was bitter for some reason. Usually I go to Yangtze Jiang for general dim sum, wonton noodle, jook conghee. The highlight dish for me including bbq pork pie, peking duck, the flat noodles wrap thing.. ok then the desert is mango pudding and mango crepe.

Edited by ARISTIDE

Thanks for the review, Lawrence.

This is one of those places that I keep meaning to go to, but haven't gotten around to doing so.

Others have said this place does good Dimsum and Mrs. T and I miss our early morning yum cha fix that we had gotten used to in HK. Do you know what time Yangtze Jiang Opens?

Do they have a good selection of teas?

Thanks.

Steamed fish that is properly done is always a good find so I think you should give this place another try.

T

For me, Yangtze Jiang is above all a destination for the excellent dim sum.

That is what I go there for too. It is better than the other places that I have been, but have not had dim sum at the Oriental.

This is what I want to know because while I was not impressed with the meals at Yangtze if someone can vouch that the Dim Sum matches or surpasses the Fujian I'll give it a shot.

For me, Yangtze Jiang is above all a destination for the excellent dim sum.

That is what I go there for too. It is better than the other places that I have been, but have not had dim sum at the Oriental.

U should try Fujian at Mandarin Oriental . For dim sum & a great dining experience this is the restaurant to beat for ambience, freshly made quality dim sum and pricing.

I will be there next week again to try 6 new dishes the manager told me they put up for the season and will report back

• Like 2

Heya Thakkar

I agree steam fish that's made right is a hard combination to beat especially snow fish which is great for that

I will think they open about 1030 if they have dim sum as that is the timing

If I'm back in the area I will try the dim sum and be objective if its better than Fujian

At this time with only the frog leg and snow fish being good ...it's hard to head all the way there with the traffic :-)

• Like 2

So finally went to Yangtze Restaurant in Nimman and here's the review

Had the following with 2 guests

- Frog Legs Garlic

- Prawn Omelette

- Egg Plant Spicy Pork

- Bean Curd Prawn Roll

- Snow Fish Steam

- XO Sauce Egg Noodle Seafood

Ambience was not good as all, not rustic not modern just old and musky smell at upper floors

Service was brisk and accommodating ....good attitude.

Only good dishes was the frog leg and the snow fish. The fish was very fresh and well steamed and the soy sauce was great. 8/10.

The frog legs was well cooked and the garlic blended well with the taste. 8/10

The beancurd was poorly fried and and the oil was too hot as the inside was not good. Prawns are fresh but the skin was disappointing

The prawn omelette was tasty but presentation failed at that price ..lumpy eggs and the prawns unevenly prepared in the mix

The XO noodles was not tasty no kick on the taste and had no shrimp or abalone blended in the sauce which was not the standard Hong Kong base for the dish.

Overall a good meal if you order the right combination but not my first choice to go back again

what credentials do you have to critique restsurants

To add a little zest, though not much substance, to the conversation, I'll mention that a Japanese friend, married to a Thai man of Chinese background, reported to me that she and he and his parents all much prefer the dim sum at Yangtze Jiang to that of Fujian.

Credentials don't mean much when it comes to taste in food. It is subjective. If you try a restaurant that he likes and you like it too, you will probably pay more attention to his next review.

I doesn't take a Chef to be a restaurant critique but it sure helps

True, but I pay particular attention to restaurant recommendations by Rasseru, because I have been so happy with the places that has recommended over the years. As far as I know, he is not a restaurant professional.

You are very kind, Ulysses G. I am flattered. And the scope of your limited knowledge about what I am not is-- in this case, at least! :) -- coextensive with God's truth.

To add a little zest, though not much substance, to the conversation, I'll mention that a Japanese friend, married to a Thai man of Chinese background, reported to me that she and he and his parents all much prefer the dim sum at Yangtze Jiang to that of Fujian.

I will have to give the dim sum at Yangtze a go then. I'll be happy it is close to or as good as Fujian and really happy if it is better.

• Like 1

I look forward to your thoughts on the dim sum at Yangtze Jiang, tfc, once you've had a chance to visit and try it.

Meanwhile, I can report more hearsay in its favour, compared with that of Fujian.

I met at a social event last night a cosmopolitan Thai man of Chinese ancestry (his grandfather came to Thailand from China). He is from Bangkok but has been living in Chiangmai for fifteen years. I asked him if he knew Yangtze Jiang and Fujian and whether he had any opinion about their dim sum. He did. He did not speak badly of the dim sum at Fujian, but raved -- I mean really raved -- about that at Yangtze Jiang, even going on about particular dim sum dishes there that he was especially fond of.

After Lawrence's review Mrs T and I visited this owner's other restaurant in Chiangmai Land, Meijiang. Easy parking on the street. Basic tables and chairs place, but with air conditioning.

We ordered Fried Tofu stuffed with fish, Fried grouper in corn sauce, stewed mixed vegetables in hot pot, rice and tea in pot.

The bill came to about 550-

The service was brisk (lots of staff) even though they were pretty busy. The food looked and smelled as it should, but all the dishes tasted somewhat bland. Maybe I'm just too used to Thai food. The tea was just your standard teabag tea of no particular flavor, though at a ridiculously cheap 20 baht per person for a bottomless pot, there's no cause for complaint. Perhaps they had better teas for order separately that I hadn't noticed.

Now, by bland, I don't mean tasteless, but rather, not very flavorful. I know a lot of people who like this sort of food. One of my daughters, for example, would love this place, particularly as they have on the menu one of her favorits: Pigeon (though at 410 for a small pigeon, a bit pricey, but considering it's not easily found in CM, I guess, understandable). Also note that the dishes we ordered were on the plain end of the spectrum and other items (such as chicken with cashew and dry chili) may be more flavorful.

I know I'll go here again, for my daughter's sake, and, I'd also like to try some of the other dishes.

I'm pretty sure they don't use MSG, so that's a plus for people who care about that.

T

• Like 1