87 Year Old Mum On 2 Month Visit:insurance?

The background: I spend winters in Chiang Mai. I want my mum, who will be 87 in September, to come out and escape the UK winter for a couple of months next winter. In the UK she is covered by the NHS. Where should I start to look for insurance policies for someone of this age? She is in good health in general, no serious ailments, walks with a stick. Thank you for your help fellow forum members

Insurance at that age is just not possible. AIG will only give travel insurance up to 85.

Government Hospitals are very good and very cheap in Thailand and they do react kindly to elderly people. I am 83 and always get well treated so don't worry

Insurance at that age is just not possible. AIG will only give travel insurance up to 85.

Government Hospitals are very good and very cheap in Thailand and they do react kindly to elderly people. I am 83 and always get well treated so don't worry

But isn't it obligatory to take out insurance, whether it's from the point of view of the Thai government or the airline? Are you saying that, despite it being unavailable, she should just go ahead and travel anyway?

Saga insurance has no upper age limit and will provide cover for trips of up to 90 days. I have found this much cheaper than other insurers for my mother who is 81.

No. You are not required to have travel insurance to visit Thailand.

But isn't it obligatory to take out insurance, whether it's from the point of view of the Thai government or the airline? Are you saying that, despite it being unavailable, she should just go ahead and travel anyway?

No,not compulsory. And she has UK insurance, so as soon as she is there she is ok. However, she has to be able to get there, so travel insurance would be highly recommended. Without it it seems almost inevitable you'll end up paying a lot of money to either a Thai hospital or get her out of the country. Because she is going to need that.