Wow - Those Russians Can Drink.

NamKangMan

I have lived and worked in Russia and everyone of those people can drink vodka. The main reason there is no hangover from their vodka is because it is pure and has no additives. The vodka that is exported or made in other countries has additives that cause the hangover. The best way to drink vodka is to freeze it overnight, then drink it straight up, shot by shot. You will be suprised by the amount that you pour down, but you will wake up like nothing happened.

Vodka doesn't freeze at very low temperatures,that's why it's so popular in countries like Russia,Ukraine Poland etc!

freezing temps separates the water from the alcohol, i've seen it many times when skiing

Maybe with liquids which have lower ethanol levels. To freeze 40% (80 proof) vodka would require -26C temperature, which is time there is nobody skiing as the wind cold factor is pretty high when going fast downhill.

In generally it's safe to put vodka to the freezer as it does not freeze on those temperatures (-18C). However the viscosity of the vodka increases which can be seen when pouring it to the glass. It comes out slightly slowly, a bit like oil.

Pure ethanol freezes on -116C which is the reason it's used on temperature meters up north instead of mercury, which freezes at -38.8C. Yes it sometimes can get that cold..

ok, i should have said in the bar after skiing

I don't care how pure it is.....drinking that much vodka would give me a severe hangover!!!!!!

You could always try to improve the quality of your vodka. That should really work. It might work with other spirits as well, but in case of Laphroaig or other tasty whiskey it would be raping the aromas.

Turning cheap vodka into better quality one by filtering it

http://lifehacker.com/5404375/increase-the-quality-of-cheap-vodka-with-a-water-filter

And teaching video

http://www.howcast.com/videos/213805-How-to-Turn-Cheap-Vodka-into-the-Good-Stuff

Phuket being diving destination, activated charcoal is easily available here. To cure the hangover, one should visit technical diving center which can sell bottles with pure oxygen.

I find those DChamp powers from the pharmacy for 8 baht each are a good cure for a hangover. Mix one in a bottle of water and you seem to recover a lot quicker.

• Like 1

its not just the ruskies, i know an English guy in Samui (wife owns a bar) that lives almost exclusively on beer. he never drinks water, has maybe a cup of coffee and a bacon sandwich for breakfast, then starts on beer about 10-11am and doesn't stop until the wife's bar closes. doesn't really eat much either, only beer. and he doesn't look that bad for it really. he's been living like that for at least 5 years that i've known him.

its not just the ruskies, i know an English guy in Samui (wife owns a bar) that lives almost exclusively on beer. he never drinks water, has maybe a cup of coffee and a bacon sandwich for breakfast, then starts on beer about 10-11am and doesn't stop until the wife's bar closes. doesn't really eat much either, only beer. and he doesn't look that bad for it really. he's been living like that for at least 5 years that i've known him.

I go for a morning walk along Bangla Road to get to Beach Road to walk along the beach. Some of the bars on the left are early openers. While the day shift staff are hosing off bar mats and cleaning the place up, there are older guys in there drinking. This is 9am. The thing is, I'll head in for a night out around 7pm and I've often seen the same guys, still there.

I've only ever seen them drinking beer at that time, but every day, for most of the day.

What surprised me about this Russian guy was the speed at which he consumed a bottle of spirits and the ease in which his body coped with it.

Obviously, with the above two examples, they are addicted.

It takes a while before alcohol get's from the stomach to the blood. So this is possible (0.5liters, 38% vodka)

While I was studying I worked one summer at local watering hole. Some regular customers came in the morning, 8:30 am and asked for a beer. Sometimes their hands were shaking so badly that I had to put an stroll to the bottle. The beer was an magical potion, which fixed the shaking :) Poor fellows, but then again, they did have their own community to share their journeys.

It takes a while before alcohol get's from the stomach to the blood. So this is possible (0.5liters, 38% vodka)

While I was studying I worked one summer at local watering hole. Some regular customers came in the morning, 8:30 am and asked for a beer. Sometimes their hands were shaking so badly that I had to put an stroll to the bottle. The beer was an magical potion, which fixed the shaking smile.png Poor fellows, but then again, they did have their own community to share their journeys.

Yes, it does take a while to enter the blood stream. This is why you can actually overdose on alcohol. If you down a bottle of spirits in quick time, it's possible you can go unconscious before your body can vomit up the larger portion of the alcohol. Then, you can choke on your own alcohol induced vomit.

I was in that restaurant for over an hour. He did have a meal, which would help, but you would think by then he would be showing some signs of intoxication, no matter how well he was trying to compose himself.

Anyway, it was something to see.

If this was a quiet drink for this guy - I would hate to imagine a big night out for him. :) :)

Iceman:

You failed to make the point your comments suggest: If drinking all that expensive, tasteless liquid had no effect then why not drink water?

Well, surely he got some sort of buzz from just about a whole bottle of vodka to himself. For all I know, they went out for more.

Like I said, one would have to wonder how much he would have to drink to show signs of being heavily intoxicated.

It's not that expensive when you buy form 7/11 or Family Mart, like I am sure this guy did. :) :)

• 4 weeks later...

Russian men have a huge alcoholism rate. It is one of the most serious problems in Russian society. They are very macho with the big drinking but many are early dead. You choose.

This is not true, kind of myth. Very funny to read these speculatons anyway.. I barely drink myself (red wine sometimes, good brandy etc) and all my frends and surroundings do not drink much. Surely, i know a couple of often drinking guys, but never touch with them (all of them are from Far East Russia).

PS yeah, i'm from St-Petersburg myself.

Russian men have a huge alcoholism rate. It is one of the most serious problems in Russian society. They are very macho with the big drinking but many are early dead. You choose.

This is not true, kind of myth. Very funny to read these speculatons anyway.. I barely drink myself (red wine sometimes, good brandy etc) and all my frends and surroundings do not drink much. Surely, i know a couple of often drinking guys, but never touch with them (all of them are from Far East Russia).

PS yeah, i'm from St-Petersburg myself.

You might find this an interesting article, Comrade dmitryspb.

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/news/russia-poisions-her-people

• Like 1

According to CNN@2013, the top 10 drinking nations are:

1) UK

2) China

3)Russia

4)France

5)Ecuador

6)Moldova

7)South Korea

8)Uganda

9)Germany

10)Australia

Britannia rules the.......eh what?

China's high listing surprised me.

Edited by keestha

Wiki has a list based on data from the World Health Organization. Eastern Europe rules!!! (U.K. here in a disappointing 17th spot).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption

It gives a rough idea but one serious flaw that comes to mind is home brews. I reckon the poorer the country the more is produced and this is not recorded.

If this could be taken into account African countries for instance would be much higher on the list.

Also do not underestimate the consumption of home brew lao khao in Thailand!

But their Russian women are soo sexy!

Good booze and hot babes, hmmmm. Maybe its not how long but rather how well you live.

* Jing is right of course but just stating another viewpoint smile.png

But their Russian women are soo sexy!

Good booze and hot babes, hmmmm. Maybe its not how long but rather how well you live.

Don't know where that idea comes from. I walk along Kata beach most morning and see plenty of Russians. Sure some of the younger Russian women look good, but it's only a small %. The rest are not so 'hot'.

LOL> Vodka...the miracle drink. All the alcohol but no hangover. Actually drank it as a teenager and was a sick puppy for a week. Worse hangover of my life. Even the smell of it makes me illsick.gif

I have lived and worked in Russia and everyone of those people can drink vodka. The main reason there is no hangover from their vodka is because it is pure and has no additives. The vodka that is exported or made in other countries has additives that cause the hangover. The best way to drink vodka is to freeze it overnight, then drink it straight up, shot by shot. You will be suprised by the amount that you pour down, but you will wake up like nothing happened.

Mr. NamKangMan, how many times have you visited Russia? Seems never.. Otherwise you wouldn't post here links with absolutely bull shit. i read A LOT of similar "articles" with pure theories which are too far to real life.

Mr. NamKangMan, how many times have you visited Russia? Seems never.. Otherwise you wouldn't post here links with absolutely bull shit. i read A LOT of similar "articles" with pure theories which are too far to real life.

Comrade dmitryspb. I have been to Russian, twice. I have participated in the vodka toasting, at every meal.

Russia has a high rate of alcoholism, per capita. It's well documented, and hard to deny.

nazdorovie :) :)

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Mr. NamKangMan, you had chosen wrong company. What region had you visited? Yes, somebody drinks, but most of people consume moderately. People who drinks vodka at every meal are sick, simply alcoholics. As to "well documented" i again say it is myth.

Mr. NamKangMan, you had chosen wrong company. What region had you visited? Yes, somebody drinks, but most of people consume moderately. People who drinks vodka at every meal are sick, simply alcoholics. As to "well documented" i again say it is myth.

Comrade dmitryspb. I have been to Moscow, St.Pete's and The Golden Ring.

How can you say I "had chosen wrong company" - they were all Russian - your fellow countrymen, and the subject of this thread.

"People who drink vodak at every meal are sick, simply alcoholics." - Yes, that's my point. Many Russian people do this, as you know, and a quick google shows alcoholism in Russia is well document.

I am not stating all Russian people have a problem with alcohol, just that Russia has a high mortality rate, per capita, from alcohol.

• Like 1

Let's put it this way. I haven't eaten at McDonalds in 20 years and neither have my culturally elite friends from San Francisco. We're Americans so I guess that means Americans don't like to eat at McDonalds and if you assert differently, you're hanging with the wrong kind of Americans. We're also opera lovers and don't know who won the Super Bowl, so I guess Americans don't like American football either. coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...

Comrade dmitryspb. I have been to Russian, twice. I have participated in the vodka toasting, at every meal.

Russia has a high rate of alcoholism, per capita. It's well documented, and hard to deny.

nazdorovie smile.pngsmile.png

Yes, it is well documented and here is a document about it:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/02/global_alcohol_consumption

The WHO estimates that alcohol results in 2.5m deaths a year, more than AIDS or tuberculosis. In Russia and its former satellite states one in five male deaths is caused by drink.

Russians can drink but not like an aboriginal with a pay check.

Unstoppable

A lot of Russians make their own vodka.

My understanding of aboriginals in Australia is they are given so much welfare money that they do not have to make their own alcohol. They can buy it, whenever they want. So, they must get good pay cheques. :)

Edited by NamKangMan

Unstoppable

My understanding of aboriginals in Australia is they are given so much welfare money that they do not have to make their own alcohol. They can buy it, whenever they want. So, they must get good pay cheques. smile.png

A lot of Aboriginals brew their own also. The welfare money they get rivals most of the Scandinavian countries

Unstoppable

My understanding of aboriginals in Australia is they are given so much welfare money that they do not have to make their own alcohol. They can buy it, whenever they want. So, they must get good pay cheques. smile.png

A lot of Aboriginals brew their own also. The welfare money they get rivals most of the Scandinavian countries

I've heard they also sniff glue and gasoline, if short of alcohol.

Unstoppable

I've heard they also sniff glue and gasoline, if short of alcohol.

Thats also true, Ive heard Russians do this in Phuket too