Is There A Market For Modifying Cars In Thailand

As above, is there money to be made in Thailand in the design and manufacture of fibreglass bodykits for cars/pickups etc ?

Come to think of it, is there even a " car scene " such as we know it in the western world ?

Edited by Rik325i

no idea how much money to be made or set up costs to make car body kits but there is a market as per these links:

http://rcw.ms/content/6-cars-show - rcw.ms popular Thai modifying car forum/site

some retailers

http://ninto.com/products.html

http://www.rstyleracing.com/

If you cannot read thai, open sites in google chrome and it will give a basic translation

cheers

• Like 1

As above, is there money to be made in Thailand in the design and manufacture of fibreglass bodykits for cars/pickups etc ?

Come to think of it, is there even a " car scene " such as we know it in the western world ?

The car modifying scene here is huge and big money to be made!!

The car modifying scene here is huge and big money to be made!!

Interesting, are any members on tv heavily involved in this in any way ? id be interested in talking to them

As noted there is a huge and very well serviced aftermarket styling scene in Thailand, with several very well setup factories making custom parts from ABS, fiber, carbon (referred to as kevlar in TH no matter what fabric it is), all the way to trimmers and car audio.

The performance scene is also reasonably well serviced, with the most popular parts being bolt-ons/plugins, and is serviced by a combination of imported, professionally manufactured TH parts and cottage industry producers.

Suggest you make a trip down to the Patumwan district in BKK (behind MBK) as a start to get familiar.

What are you looking to do?

I'd say if you're thinking about getting into manufacturing or marketing things locally, you'll have a hard battle on your hands. If your angle is exporting TH made parts OS, you'll be welcomed though ;)

If your angle is setting up some type of tuning shop, you would likely be most successful targeting the expat community - it's unlikely a farang would ever be able to gain reputation amongst Thai customers for this type of thing, unless what you're doing is highly unique..

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

As said it's a huge market (depending where you are). Just driving down the Sukhumvit from Chonburi to Sri Racha and you see place after place after place doing glass fibre body kits. The question is if they actually make much money (who knows) and whether you could get a work permit for it. Again being the 'manager/owner' is the option and with the heat here probably the best option.

With only bland boring boxes on wheels available to most it will always be a huge market and the more tasteless it seems the better.

As posted above will people buy from a farang I'm sure they will if you are good enough and priced the same as Thais, then again the most popular car wash around here is the most expensive car detailing place full with new mercs, porsches, RR evoques etc. If you are in a place with money like Bangkok or the eastern seaboard then there is a big market. If you are out in the boonies you will have little market and struggle to get started.

Go and buy the Thai car magazines to see what sells etc.

• Like 1

There is already an aftermarket industry. What I can't understand is how Thai's can buy a new car then drive it out of the dealership straight into the auto saloon to have 100000 baht of junk fitted.

post-166124-1369062026004_thumb.jpg

This is a Bentley continental GT, purchased and modified, would you say everything added to this amazing car is crap, I wish I had the money to do exactly this, for me it would be a Nissan Skyline GTR R35 buy it and modify it to your taste, yes please!!

• Like 1

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1369062042.162164.jpg

This is a Bentley continental GT, purchased and modified, would you say everything added to this amazing car is crap, I wish I had the money to do exactly this, for me it would be a Nissan Skyline GTR R35 buy it and modify it to your taste, yes please!!

You would also need a lot of extra money for the mindless motorbikes that think nothing of clipping your mirrors and wings as they rush past, you wonder if they forget they are delivering and have a pile of extra big stuff on the back.

As for the Bentley and many others around there are some amazing modification, there are and always will be some naff and ugly modifications..... In UK people will buy a 1-3,000 GBP car and then spend up to 30,000 GBP on modifications..

My brother in law has such as shop in Kalasin...on any good day makes between 80,000 to 100,000 a day.

Profit margin is probably around 30 to 40%.