Vientiane Run Report

Hey there. I did my first visa run this week. Not sure if this report is useful for anyone but maybe other newbs can get something out of it.

After flying north and spending a couple days in bkk, took the sleeper train to Nong Khai. Booked an upper berth on the train so didn't have window - wanted to see some northern thai countryside so this was a silly beginners mistake. Live and learn.

Outgoing immigration and shuttle to Laos was painless. Laos visa was 1300b for an aussie (didn't have any USD). 300b for transfer from train station to the hotel in Vientiane.

Had some trouble getting id photos done that night. The shops all seemed to be closed. Was a bit late though so meh.

In the morning a friend I'd met the night before rode me to the shop for photos then to the consulate. Was a bit nervous given that my visa run cherry was about to be popped. Sheepishly asked someone where I get a number (the girl giving them out was behind the door for a minute).

Once my number was up gave em the form with photos as well as copies of my passport photo page and laos visa page (dont know if this is needed but thought it couldn't hurt). Requested a double entry tourist visa, but the guy said to go to the payment area and pay 1000b. I pointed out that the request was for a double but he just shook his head and pointed to the pay area. Didnt push it any further.

Waited and paid. Clerk indeed asked for 1000b. Didnt question it this time. First day took maybe an hour or so.

Went back the next day and picked it up. Was indeed a single entry visa. Only took 5 mins to pick up.

Happy that I got it but since this is number 2 and a single, little concerned I'll need to sort out an edu visa in a couple months or chance it trying to get tourist visa no. 3.

On a completely different note, Vientiane was very nice and had a ball there. Best coffee since I left Melbourne. Now in Vang Vieng and have realised how much a hate backpackers. Luang Prabang next which im looking forward to, then home down south.

Peace.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by TheWeeknd
  • Like 1

FYI, worth while to stop in at a Thai bank and exchange baht for U.S. $$$ for your Lao visa.

When you're finished with Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang, how about posting a trip report to the Southeast Asia forum here, other folks might be interested. Please include guest house details, impressions, modes of travel, eg, bus, van, etc.

You also going over to the Phonsavanh on the Plain of Jars? I highly recommend this side trip. I ,usually stay at the Nice GH when there. Two farang eateries, the Craters Restaurant (excellent breakfast) and the Bamboozle, newer.

Mac

Bit confused......... Laos Visa 1,300 baht ??

See so many different prices quoted....... anyone know the correct fee ?

All I can find is the cost = 1,550 baht........ yet number of posts of late state different ?? [every time I go to Laos before I have always paid or handed over 1,550 baht]

Also pay in US$ = 35 or is it ? other posts on here say 30 $ US

Out of interest Saturday was in the City and got US $ from a Bank, asked for 35 $ got brand new notes,, total paid 1,007 baht..

Lao visa costs vary by nationality.

Prices range from US$30 to US$42 depending on nationality - Americans US$35, Canadians US$42, Australians US$30, Chileans US$30, Belgians US$30, British, Dutch, Italians US$35, Swedes US$31, Germans $30-$35.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Laos

Many thanks.

1 st time noticed that British and Australians were different by 5 $ US.

The confusing thing about the double entry tourist visa and the single. seems to be that even the double entry is only vailid for 90 days so does this mean you exit thailand once in the 90 days but you effectively don't get any longer than a single entry with 30 day extension (60+30).

Can anyone shed some light on this

Lao visa costs vary by nationality.

Prices range from US$30 to US$42 depending on nationality - Americans US$35, Canadians US$42, Australians US$30, Chileans US$30, Belgians US$30, British, Dutch, Italians US$35, Swedes US$31, Germans $30-$35.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Laos

Many thanks.

1 st time noticed that British and Australians were different by 5 $ US.

yep, canadians get stung, but then the loas travelling to canada gets stung as well, if they can get a visa, so fair play

The confusing thing about the double entry tourist visa and the single. seems to be that even the double entry is only vailid for 90 days so does this mean you exit thailand once in the 90 days but you effectively don't get any longer than a single entry with 30 day extension (60+30).

Can anyone shed some light on this

The validity of a double entry tourist visa is 90 days so when you enter Thailand you use your first entry and get a stamp for 60 days stay. You then leave Thailand when your first 60 days are up and return before the date when your visa will expire and you get the second 60 day stamp. You can also extend each entry at Thai immigration for a further 30 days on payment of (I think) 1,900 baht. If you do this with your first entry make sure that you leave and return to Thailand before the 90 day expiry of your visa or it will become invalid and you will receive only 15 days at a land border or 30 days at an airport when you return.

You also going over to the Phonsavanh on the Plain of Jars?  I highly recommend this side trip.  I ,usually stay at the Nice GH when there.  Two farang eateries, the Craters Restaurant (excellent breakfast) and the Bamboozle, newer.

Mac

Hey Mac. Wasn't planning on it. Was originally gonna do one week in Laos and one week in Cambodia, but ive been in Laos almost a week already and still have at least 4 days here. One week for a new country is just not enough!

Torn whether to spend a little extra time in Laos and then go home, saving Cambodia for another trip, or try to do both. Will look into the plain of jars side trip, thanks for the tip.

Just love, love, love travelling to new places.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well, if you have the finances, can always fly from Luang Prabang down to Siem Reap for a few days at the Angor Wat complex.

I'd think, tho, doing the PDJ while you're in the area is a better idea, do Cambodia later.

Take peek at this great map www site for LP and the PDJ, well, Vientiane, too, and other areas in Laos:

www (dot) hobomaps (dot) com

Mac

• 3 months later...

Hey there!

I already got 2 tourist visas (60days) from Vientiane. Does anyone now: Is it possible to go there again for a double entry visa?

Or will they refuse?  Many thanks!

You should be able to get a two entry. The don't normally refuse but will tell you it is the last one or only issue a single entry