Diy - Bicycle Stand. Anyone Know How To Make One?

jambco984

I am not creative when it comes to things like this, can anyone help?

As the title says a makeshift bike stand as I havent seen any around and about.

What could I use? I dont have anyway of suspending it from the ceiling so ground stands please.

Cheers in advance :D

I'm not sure just what kind of work you need to do on your bike but a simple stand available at nearly any decent bike shop should do the trick. The stand I'm speaking of has 1 upright tube with 2 "U" shaped hooks which are placed under the rear frame triangle just in front of the rear axle. The base of the stand has 3 flat legs which keep it stable with the ground. Height is adjustable by sliding and locking the verticle tube up or down. The stand runs a couple hundred baht at the most. This kind of stand works fine for me and my Surly Long Haul Trucker and the 3 other bikes I had before.

• Like 2

I'm not sure just what kind of work you need to do on your bike but a simple stand available at nearly any decent bike shop should do the trick. The stand I'm speaking of has 1 upright tube with 2 "U" shaped hooks which are placed under the rear frame triangle just in front of the rear axle. The base of the stand has 3 flat legs which keep it stable with the ground. Height is adjustable by sliding and locking the verticle tube up or down. The stand runs a couple hundred baht at the most. This kind of stand works fine for me and my Surly Long Haul Trucker and the 3 other bikes I had before.

Only checks and oiling the chain etc. nothing crazy. Its just fiddly without something to prop it up and the wife is getting naffed off with "Can you just pick this up for a minute please".

I went to a "bicycle shop" I use the term loosely in Ubon and they didnt have any at all. I have seen them online, the price isnt the problem but was just wondering if anyone had got creative with a basic idea.

:D

Let me know if you a problem locating one of these stands. I have three in my garage here in Udon Thani and would be happy to share one with you for the cost of packing and shipping to Ubon.

Awfully decent of you. I will have a look this weekend. If I get no joy I will get in contact.

Thank you

I have always used proper stands myself, but my mate used to hang is on the washing line with the line hooked under the saddle, seemed to work okay for him to carry out a multitude of maintenance tasks. Just an idea.

Regards

Edited by ragandboneman
  • Like 1

When I get a tool, it's usually for a lifetime and if I can, I get a good one. Not the highest end pro one, just a good one.

One that will grip the top bar and rotate, or also grip the bottom bar and rotate is worth a few extra baht. Of course it will also swivel and adjust height.

It makes it so much easier to work.

This is my favorite style, if not brand, of stand. It will grab a choice of several places, rotate, swivel, and is just handy.

bike-stand.jpg

• Like 1

< have always used proper stands myself, but my mate used to hang is on the washing line with the line hooked under the saddle, seemed to work okay for him to carry out a multitude of maintenance tasks. Just an idea. >

Good thinking, captain. When working on my machine(s), i just make a loop from a piece of rope (suspended from a ceiling-beam, tree branch etc), hook it under the seat, and adjust height to suit.

For a stand to keep your machine upright (rather than leaning against a wall), use a tree branch ~ 60cm long, with a fork at the top. Doubles as a dog-dissuader when suspended from a scabbard mounted on the handlebars. And hasn't LOS been overtaken by dogs that need dissuading these past 18 years...AA

Putting a lot of pressure on the seat like hanging it will tend to screw up the seat integrity pretty fast. The seat rails are joined to the seat body and hanging or picking the bike up by the seat will hasten its early demise.

If you like to hear your seat creak and make noise then not a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

My 100kg body would do more damage than the bicycles 10kg of weight? but then it is putting from the wrong direction.

Putting a lot of pressure on the seat like hanging it will tend to screw up the seat integrity pretty fast. The seat rails are joined to the seat body and hanging or picking the bike up by the seat will hasten its early demise.

If you like to hear your seat creak and make noise then not a problem.

mountain biking religiously in BC on the north shore and on Vancouver island through all my youth (and much of my adulthood) two old innertubes suspended from the ceiling.

on under the saddle, one on the stem worked very well, before and after every ride we would prep or clean about 5 bikes in the mud room at front of the house

When I get a tool, it's usually for a lifetime and if I can, I get a good one. Not the highest end pro one, just a good one.

One that will grip the top bar and rotate, or also grip the bottom bar and rotate is worth a few extra baht. Of course it will also swivel and adjust height.

It makes it so much easier to work.

This is my favorite style, if not brand, of stand. It will grab a choice of several places, rotate, swivel, and is just handy.

bike-stand.jpg

indeed, but i suspect eveen if he were willing to pay for a Park stand, he could not find one