Cricket?

TBWG

Hi :D

Just been speaking to my UK neighbour who tells me he's off to Chiang Mai for a few weeks to play cricket with a few buddies.

Apparently it is an annual event with lot's of guys coming from Cape Town to participate. :o

Anyone know anything about it?

TBWG :D

well, i have been there and its good some nice food being sold there. i sat at one of the bar areas and someone told me that someone else is seated there. so..... walked over to whomever i had a meeting with that day. there i was greeted by nice people. so it really depends where you hang out there. some of them have their "gang" kinda areas where they would rather just have their friends around. (u know like animals that show their authority over a certain area in which they piss in).

bought some food from the bear's den stall and of course royal india's stall. was good food though. and i went back happy after talking to some friendly people. its really a very big event and something big for chiang mai and gymkana. its starts 4th april if i am not mistaken. worth a day out at the sixes. cold beer and good food.

But the tournament is not very spectator friendly. Last time I went they had shelter/tents for each of the teams but not even a chair in the sun for spectators. So we went back home.

I am off next Saturday to the Sixes from San Francisco. Games start Sunday and finish with the finals on the following Saturday. The shelter and the seats are set aside for the teams, however, most of tents and seats are empty when those teams are not playing. There are 30 plus teams so there is always plenty of seats available.

A match will generally last an hour. Because of the heat and more importantly age of most of the cricketers, the organizers have spilt the the matchs. When the first team of Match A is all out both teams come off and the next two teams Match B take the field. When the batting team of Match B is all out both teams leave the field and Match A teams enters to conclude there game and so on. This process last about 2 hours.

Visit the Sixes website Chiang Mai Cricket Sixes for all the information you need. It really is a fun day out and as said previous there are plenty of refreshments with a well stocked bar. Profits are used support the local youth cricket programs. I hope to see you there.

Edited by livermore