It's Time For Thaksin To Respect The Rule Of Law: Senior Democrats

webfact

It's time for Thaksin to respect the rule of law: senior Democrats
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Senior Democrat Party figures called on former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday to admit to his alleged wrongdoings and respect the courts - to uphold the rule of law in Thailand.

They said Thaksin had been a major source of political conflict in recent years.

The remarks came in response to the fugitive ex-leader's claims that accusations made during the post-coup Assets Examination Committee (AEC)'s investigation against him were unfair.

The investigation led to a court verdict against him in October 2008.

Thaksin, who fled the country and has lived in self-exile overseas ever since, was sentenced in absentia to two years in jail for abuse of power.

On Sunday night, Thaksin addressed a gathering of red-shirt supporters at the Ratchaprasong intersection through a Skype call from overseas.

The gathering was held to mark the third anniversary of the dispersal of the red shirts' anti-government rally in 2010.

Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said yesterday he was saddened by the fact Thaksin could not admit his wrongdoings.

"He should allow the justice process to take its course. There have been attempts to lie and fabricate facts.

"The goal is to discredit the courts and independent organisations," Abhisit said.

The opposition leader said if Thaksin genuinely had no vested interests as he claimed, he should declare that he does not support a draft amnesty law proposed by Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung.

The draft would grant general amnesty to all people involved in the recent political conflicts, including politicians accused of corruption.

Abhisit said the law's intention was to help corrupt politicians and those responsible for killings and arson attacks during the 2010 unrest.

Deputy Democrat leader Alongkorn Ponlaboot said in Twitter messages that Thaksin should respect the justice system and not try to stay above the law.

'Root of the problem'

He said Thaksin was responsible for problems with the country's democracy.

"If he had run the country honestly and fairly, respected the Constitution and not interfered with independent organisations, there wouldn't have been a coup," Alongkorn said.

Kaewsun Atibodhi, a former member of the AEC, said a truly democratic government would respect the law and accept scrutiny.

"It should not oppose scrutiny or violate the law," he said.

Meanwhile, in his speech to the red shirts, Thaksin claimed that a member of the National Anti-Corruption Commission had sought bribes from him in 1999 in relation to the share-concealment case, but he refused to pay.

No NACC member was available for comment on the issue yesterday.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-21

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never happen unfortunately.

The man in Dubai has got away with so much he thinks he is above the law.

Still good to see the Dems coming out and countering the stuff (BS) that Thaksin comes out with, about time they got their act into gear.

Now they need to be doing the same with every 'announcement' from PT.

• Like 2

Hear hear, Its a pity that this sound advice will fall on deaf ears. That's the trouble with a narcissist, they can never be wrong all their decisions are right, they think the world should revolve around them. So sad that so many have died, been maimed, had their lives disrupted and had their quality of life decrease to feed Thaksin's ego.

me me me me
  • Like 2

It's time for Abhisit and Suthep to be HONEST and stand up for there's murder charges and wrongdoings!! Don't try to hide this behind Khun Thaksin.What he have done is "Peanuts" compare to Democratic party, PAD and coup maker's!!!

Good point as well.

It seems very hollow coming from this camp . . . yes, Thaksin has a lot to answer for and should be in jail - of that there is no doubt, but this just seems so hypocritical

It's time for Abhisit and Suthep to be HONEST and stand up for there's murder charges and wrongdoings!! Don't try to hide this behind Khun Thaksin.What he have done is "Peanuts" compare to Democratic party, PAD and coup maker's!!!

Sadly, you probably believe this to be true.

The power of Thai Rak Thai propaganda - or the simplicity of the Thai mind at work.

It's time for Thaksin to respect the rule of law: senior Democrats

Oh I can't even be mithered to reply as it's just going to become another twatfest.

I'd like to be interviewed by that bird from Channel News Asia though even though she had that hideous Singlish accent...

• Like 1

I would like to see a more detailed definition of "peanuts".

You can get a lot of peanuts for 76 billion baht - and that is just scratching the surface. Would the war on drugs come under peanuts ?

• Like 2

Never happen unfortunately.

The man in Dubai has got away with so much he thinks he is above the law.

Still good to see the Dems coming out and countering the stuff (BS) that Thaksin comes out with, about time they got their act into gear.

Now they need to be doing the same with every 'announcement' from PT.

Stop talking to the wall. This man has such ego that he probably thinks he is a god (Buda)

Yeah, right. So you believe all the PTP BS for one then.

Presumably you'd like Thaksin to stand up for all the other outstanding criminal charges he's facing. And maybe someone (not the DSI) should start an investigagtion into all those "judicial" executions and disapperances whilst your hero was in charge.

We don't want any double standards now do we?

• Like 2

Is a coup a rule of law?

No. And?

And you can't see the inference? Odd, it's quite obvious

Presumably you'd like Thaksin to stand up for all the other outstanding criminal charges he's facing. And maybe someone (not the DSI) should start an investigagtion into all those "judicial" executions and disapperances whilst your hero was in charge.

His 'hero'? How old are you? Why the need to be so overly aggressive when the poster ha a valid point . . . and I have yet to see him state that Thaksin shouldn't be held accountable for his crimes . . .

Infantile much?

Hear hear, Its a pity that this sound advice will fall on deaf ears. That's the trouble with a narcissist, they can never be wrong all their decisions are right, they think the world should revolve around them. So sad that so many have died, been maimed, had their lives disrupted and had their quality of life decrease to feed Thaksin's ego.

me me me me

Still can't speak English then.

• Like 1

I guess your life was not terrorized by his red mob during 2008.

And by the way, AV and Suthep ARE defending themselves for "murder" charges.

Is a coup a rule of law?

No. And?

>

His 'hero'? How old are you? Why the need to be so overly aggressive when the poster ha a valid point . . . and I have yet to see him state that Thaksin shouldn't be held accountable for his crimes . . .

Infantile much?

1) No, it's not really obvious. The Democrats didn't support the coup... they just didn't go any further in their condemnation of it than saying "it was undemocratic". You are buying into the Thaksin-sponsored belief that the coup-makers, the Democrats and PAD are the same people.

2) Yes, it is infantile, as is the nature of the Thai political divide. Right and wrong are no longer of relevance and have been replaced by colour-coding, much as a devoted fan of Michael Jackson won't give credence to any kiddie-fiddling accusations and a devoted bunch of football hooligans don't see anything wrong with tearing up a public train.

• Like 1

Sing_Sling, on 21 May 2013 - 11:36, said:

whybother, on 21 May 2013 - 11:16, said:

rijb, on 21 May 2013 - 11:04, said:

Is a coup a rule of law?

No. And?

I'm just wondering what it's got to do with Thaksin respecting the rule of law or the Democrats for that matter.

Or is it a "But they did it too" type of argument.

The Democrats should be calling on Abhisit to admit to his wrong doings. Why worry about someone who is not in power, they have enough to worry about in their own camp. It's a bit like the Pot calling the Kettle Black.

Abhisit is fighting his accusations of "wrong doings" in court. Thaksin isn't. All he is doing is saying "But I didn't do anything". He's too scared to actually fight it in court.

Edited by whybother
  • Like 2

actually its time the ptp revoked his thai passport and had international warrants issued to return him to the country to do his jail time but they are too criminal themselves. A govt that assists and takes orders from a wanted felon needs to be locked up and have their political party deregistered but again it will never happen. This is another case of no one having the balls to do what is right, if the ptp will not do what is the legal thing in this case then the army should again toss them out and make sure thaksin is locked up for life along with his family members and the rst if the ptp/red shirt leaders.beatdeadhorse.gif

Edited by metisdead
Font