Double Entry Tourist Visa - Need To Exit And Re-Enter Before First 60 Days

I cannot find this topic addressed in the forum, surprisingly.

Have received recently a double entry visa at Vientiane and am clear on the process of extending phase 1 of the visa for 30 days after the first 60 days, then extending phase two after 60 days for an additional 30 days. total 180 uninterrupted days of tourist visa stay in Thailand (except for exit/re-entries required to extend each visa phase by 30 days).

Cannot find information on how to leave and re-enter Thailand at some point during the 2 visa periods without terminating the visa. I'm living in Bangkok full time, if for example I want to fly to Hong Kong for a week and return to Thailand without interrupting my double entry visa - can it be done and how/what is required? Thanks in advance any assistance.

As said a re-entry permit keeps the current stay alive for return - you just enter that information into the visa section of arrival card. But you also need to watch the expiration date on visa as second tourist visa entry must be made before that date ends to get the second stay.

All clear and thank you the speedy replies on keeping the visa in place / ongoing with a re-entry permit. Sounds straight forward and the re-entry permit can be done now at either Bangkok airport on a 24 / 7 basis? Where at the airport do they issue re-entry permits?

Regards the point about re-entering before the phase 1 visa ends to be able to then enter the phase 2 visa period, sounds like it gets a little complicated if you happen to be traveling out around the time you would be ready for phase 2 and be applying for the 30 day extension on phase 1. Do i have this correct in this situation - re-enter before phase one 60 day visa expires. That re-entry then counts as the exit/entry to start phase 2? To get the 30 day extension on phase 1 you would need to apply for the 30 day extension when?

Entry by the date on the visa itself (normally 90 days from application for Laos issued visa). This may be a day or two earlier than your actual permitted to stay until stamp.

Ask at airport prior to entry into immigration area - they can tell you where to obtain the re-entry permit. At last report both airports offer 24 hour service but if you know you may travel it is best to obtain from immigration office in advance (you do not need specific dates).

Question: If one has a double entry Tourist Visa and wants to get as many days as possible can that person get a 30 day extension of the firsts entry (after being in Thailand 60 days) and then exit Thailand after say 29 days without a e-entry permit then enter Thailand using the second entry. Then extend for 30 days after the 60 day permit to stay period is up? Al long winded question, but I am confused why a re-entry permit is needed if the OP just exits a near the end of the first extension of stay and re-enters using the second visa entry (assuming the visa is not past the use before date.)

Yes to question and reason OP is asking about re-entry permit is that trip would not be near the end of first stay and they want to return to continue that stay. That said immigration might balk at issue of a re-entry permit on basis the holder has a valid visa for entry so not needed during the first entry.

The re-entry permit would only be needed if a person wanted to make a trip out during the 60 day entry and/or 30 day extension permit to stay. It could be done during any entry.

If a person that has a visa with a 90 visa validity period they would have be sure make the 2nd entry prior to visa expiration date.

The re-entry permit would only be needed if a person wanted to make a trip out during the 60 day entry and/or 30 day extension permit to stay. It could be done during any entry.

If a person that has a visa with a 90 visa validity period they would have be sure make the 2nd entry prior to visa expiration date.

This gets pretty close to clarifying the usefulness of the re-entry permit. Which I see as a sort of "King's X" of movement while in Thailand under a double entry visa. With a re-entry permit there's no penalty to the visa or the extension of a visa. As I understand your words.

Separately then concerning the basic visa and extensions, for a person with a 90 day visa validity period they have to make sure to make the 2nd entry prior to the visa expiration date. Clear. But just to be sure, if you exit/re-enter under a re-entry permit it does or does not qualify as THE 2nd entry prior to the visa expiration date?

The entire reason for having a re-entry permit is to avoid using the 2nd entry until you have used all of the 60+30 days you can get from a tourist visa entry.

You don't need a re-entry permit to make the 2nd entry.

• Like 1

Yes to question and reason OP is asking about re-entry permit is that trip would not be near the end of first stay and they want to return to continue that stay. That said immigration might balk at issue of a re-entry permit on basis the holder has a valid visa for entry so not needed during the first entry.

Lopburi3 are you saying immigration might ignore the fact that without a re-entry permit you would be cutting your visa period short or inadvertently initiating a new period of the visa? If so any reason for thinking so?

The entire reason for having a re-entry permit is to avoid using the 2nd entry until you have used all of the 60+30 days you can get from a tourist visa entry.

You don't need a re-entry permit to make the 2nd entry.

Well said, thanks for making it abundantly clear!

I am saying they may feel a re-entry permit is not required as you already have a visa for a new entry. A re-entry permit is in effect a new visa for entry and normal policy is not to issue a new visa if there is already a valid visa in passport. In recent months immigration has often refused to allow entry on visa exempt if there is a valid visa in passport and they could look upon this as a similar thing. Unknown waters.

Yes, you need to get a re-entry permit at 1,000 baht from immigration before you depart. You will need to bring a passport photo.

Also availeble at airports.

If you have a double entry tourist visa you can not get a reentry permit like you can with a retirement or marrage visa. Basically if you leave the country within the 90 days you will forfeit any remaining days. On your return your second entry kicks in and your 60 days start again.

I am saying they may feel a re-entry permit is not required as you already have a visa for a new entry. A re-entry permit is in effect a new visa for entry and normal policy is not to issue a new visa if there is already a valid visa in passport. In recent months immigration has often refused to allow entry on visa exempt if there is a valid visa in passport and they could look upon this as a similar thing. Unknown waters.

So someone planning on using a re-entry permit on his or her first entry.of a double entry visa, might encounter some resistance (or denial) at immigration.

If this happens at the beginning of the first entry, might create a big disappointment. If only one week or 10 days left of this first entry, not a big problem probably.

So now we've got 3 points of view after a double entry visa and using the exit permit/re-entry permit. One saying the exit permit / re-entry permit is meant to protect the longest possible terms of the double entry visa, one saying you cannot use exit permit / re-entry permit with a double entry visa and you'll terminate whatever phase of your double entry visa you are in if you go out and re-enter and another not exactly sure based vaguely on unrelated visa exempt situations.

This is the kind of stuff that handicaps, imho, Thai visa forum and perpetuates uncertainties about visas in general.

I'm inclined to go with the words of a Titanium member who supports what I would dearly like to believe - that with a double entry visa you're not just locked inside the country for 180 days to maximize the use of the visa and the exit/entry permit is like a "King's X" on the terms of the double entry visa for someone who wants/needs to exit and return Thailand.

There must be thousands of people in Thailand right now with double entry visas and more than a handful of people who have direct experience who can say what happened to them when exiting and returning to Thailand during their double entry visa. Anyone??? Andre? Ubonjoe? direct experience to support what you're saying?

The answer is that in the past it was not a problem, but in recent time it seems that they not always allow it and just tell you to use the second entry on the tourist visa. They have become more strict, so it could go either way.

"There must be thousands of people in Thailand right now with double entry visas and more than a handful of people who have direct experience who can say what happened to them when exiting and returning to Thailand during their double entry visa. "

My wife and I are having direct experience of this right now. Beechguy, Mario2008 and lopburi3 are all correct and this is exactly what we have done: Use the re-entry permit to go in and out of the country in that period between your visa expiration dates. This has given us the opportunity to use the full 180 days possible on a double entry tourist visa, yet also leave the country for short trips in between.

The only issue we encountered is to make sure you use the re-entry number on the arrival card, and not the tourist visa number, or else the immigration official will inadvertently activate your 2nd entry, and defeat the purpose of the re-entry permit.

"There must be thousands of people in Thailand right now with double entry visas and more than a handful of people who have direct experience who can say what happened to them when exiting and returning to Thailand during their double entry visa. "

My wife and I are having direct experience of this right now. Beechguy, Mario2008 and lopburi3 are all correct and this is exactly what we have done: Use the re-entry permit to go in and out of the country in that period between your visa expiration dates. This has given us the opportunity to use the full 180 days possible on a double entry tourist visa, yet also leave the country for short trips in between.

The only issue we encountered is to make sure you use the re-entry number on the arrival card, and not the tourist visa number, or else the immigration official will inadvertently activate your 2nd entry, and defeat the purpose of the re-entry permit.

Is your wife Thai and you're on a visa that involves marriage? I ask because that type of visa seems to operate and is treated differently than someone who has a standard double entry tourist visa.

If you're not using a visa that involves a Thai wife then this is very good news for bearers of standard double entry visas and you've raised an important point about using the re-entry number of the exit permit on the the arrival card NOT using the tourist visa number.

Big difference between visa exempt and a re-entry permit.

Won't the re-entry permit only be good for the 'permission to stay' date that you have when you get it?

If so, I think that would change what the OP appears to believe.

"If you have a double entry tourist visa you can not get a reentry permit like you can with a retirement or marrage visa."

I think you're wrong, and why do you think that?

Is your wife Thai and you're on a visa that involves marriage? I ask because that type of visa seems to operate and is treated differently than someone who has a standard double entry tourist visa.

If you're not using a visa that involves a Thai wife then this is very good news for bearers of standard double entry visas and you've raised an important point about using the re-entry number of the exit permit on the the arrival card NOT using the tourist visa number.

Neither of us are Thai. We both went to VTE and got double-entry tourist visas there. Nothing fancy.

I do not recall any reports of people being denied a re-entry permit for a tourist visa entry or during the 30 day extension.

I do recall people going to immigration and getting a 30 day extension plus a re-entry permit during the same visit.

There is certainly no written rule that says you cannot do it.

If not sure just go to immigration and apply for the re-entry permit and see what happens.