Baby Stuff

mookie1

Had a good look around for baby carriages, strollers, changing tables and cribs over at Central Festival yesterday. I got a large dose of sticker shock.

I wonder where in the Pattaya area I might try looking for lower prices on these items.

Any and all help appreciated.

Mookie

I'm afraid baby's are not cheap,my recent purchase of car seat combination push chair was 25,000 baht alone,still it's a small price to pay given that its an imported item fully compliant with EU safety law and made to a decent quality which won't fall apart after 6 months.

I would pay top dollar only for items where quality truly matters, such as child safety seats for the car.

For regular stuff, go to Tesco / Big C.

The strollers at Tesco/Big C suck though. But then again, Thailand's footpaths aren't suitable for them anyway, and for the first couple months it's just fine to carry said car seat around if you need a mobile thing for a baby to sleep. Or buy one of those backpack/frontpack thingies to move the baby around.

• Like 1

Yeah, I have a 2 year old now, we spent a fair while looking around for quality products that aren't double the price of the US/UK/AU etc.

Seems the main issue is that there's just an overall lack of demand, so less of a single item are imported and distributed in large quantities, so overall price per item is higher.

It's a regular theme in thailand, things the west import (or use) in mass, they don't here, hence double the price.

Central and Outlet Mall IMO are the two main places with a basic range, there's a few smaller baby stores around, but their products are expensive in comparison, and then there's your thai style baby shop, where they'll have a few prams etc, >5k stuff.

I've not seen any good baby seats for the car, or your better prams anywhere else than central or outlet mall i'm afraid.

Wait till you start buying toys, they're all double the price too!

Inside the outlet mall next to lotus off of thepasit has a store with toys as well as many items for babies including good strollers and such. Still not cheap but we have found them on sale there before.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

pm me please. IN UK we'd say it's sods law! Today i put high quality (Brown Farm) stuff at Coliingbournes Auction House for this saturday. High-chair (cost me B8K); swing cot (B2K); baby sling (B1K) ; stair safety gate (B4K); collapsible pram (B5K). I could always get them back before this saturday auction if needs be. So PM me for my cell number and/or contact address.

Try Mike's Shopping Mall. They have a reasonable selection - we got a few items from there - 2nd or 3rd floor I think.

As Craig3365 said there is a place on Suk near Chaiyapruek - it may be a Brown Farm shop, or at least it sells Brown Farm products.

A friend gave us a nice cot which they bought in Fascino, the big pharmacy on North Pattaya Road.

We also bought a few items from Robinsons in Sriracha, if you can make the journey...

We also went to some kind of a baby products exhibition/expo at the Queen Sirikit Exhibition Centre in Bangkok - I believe they hold it at least once, if not twice a year. There were some good bargains to be had on many of the brands you see elsewhere - I'm sure 5 mins on Google will tell you when the next one is... but again, only of you can make the journey...

When I had my son in Thailand, I bought most things from big c.

I bought a pram from there for about 1500/2000 baht, it could be set in 3 positions, had good wheels and a strong frame. (To be honest though we hardly used it, pattaya lacks pavements, and when you go to central festival you can borrow a pram there). It also survived being thrown around on an aeroplane back to the UK

For about 200 baht I bought a baby pouch. Again it was very strong and if we went out I would carry my son in this.

The cot was around 2000 baht, wooden strong frame, and had the option to rock. Also came with a mosquito net.

We didn't buy a high chair, we actually bought a chair on wheels, think it was 600 baht had a few noisy toys on it. Again solid and safe.

A baby bath was again about 300/400 baht, perfect size for upto a year.

You'd be surprised what you find and the quality is perfect.

Just shop around. In central festival they are massively overpriced, branded or not, the prices are silly.

Buy what you feel comfortable with.

Good luck for you and your family

I'm not 100% sure, but pretty sure there's a baby store on Suk right at Chaiyaphruek. Sea side, just south of the traffic lights.

That's correct. Not cheap, but they have good quality stuff.

What we found out with our little one was...you need that basket to put her on the back seat and carry her around until she grows out of it. Then you need the baby seat for the back seat of your car and wherever you go (shopping malls, restaurants etc...) she can walk on her own feet.

We also had this baby rucksack but hardly ever used it.

After all, you don't go on lang walks in Thailand but rather from one car stop to the next.

There is a Charity Baby bargains day coming up soon at Wiggle Town where mothers will be selling their preloved baby equipment ie beds, strollers anything to do with Baby and Toddler needs.

PM me if you want more information on this.

It is for charity so hopefully this won't get deleted.

There is a great shop for this kind of stuff on the 3rd floor of harbor mall in Leam Chabang. We've bought almost everything there. Stroller, Car Seat, crib, walker, swing.. By far the best prices, selection and service I've found in the area.

• Like 1

If driving to BKK on the elevated highway, you will see it at your left hand side. You will probably first notice the IKEA signs as that's located in the same complex. Nice place for shopping b.t.w. ... not all the same chains that you will find in every Central but some really nice shops as well, outside some nice places to eat / drink and of course IKEA self.

Many shops to chose from at Mega Bangna shopping center.

Where is that?

Sent from my GT-I9100T

johng, on 28 May 2013 - 08:34, said:

Bangna is on the outskirts of Bangkok.

I'm in Pattaya and can't justify driving to Bangkok just for shopping. Thanks though.

I sent a PM to Seadoo and I'm still waiting for a reply re: the charity event that was mentioned.

Edited by Jayman

Is there 2nd hand baby stuff for sale on this forum? I've never checked on here , but buying 2nd hand makes good sense we found buying for ours. Mostly near brand new top quality items for bargain prices.

If there's not a baby items for sale section on here, mods there should be!

• 9 months later...

There is a great shop for this kind of stuff on the 3rd floor of harbor mall in Leam Chabang. We've bought almost everything there. Stroller, Car Seat, crib, walker, swing.. By far the best prices, selection and service I've found in the area.

Actually 2nd Floor not 3rd, made the trip today, they do have a fair amount of stuff including car seats, but not the wooden style cot that I'm looking for, only items similar to those you can buy in Big C/ Lotus.