Casual Attitude To Cash

OMGImInPattaya

Just a comment on the Thais casual attitude to dealing with large amounts of cash. Many times I've been at a bank tellers doing some business ands someone pulls up to the next teller and pulls out 100, 200, or 300k for deposit. A friend sold his car to a tent for 800k and the dealer came by his house and dumps out the cash on his dining room table. I recently had to transfer one-million baht from one bank to another and the teller said the max they could do through the teller was 100k but she non-chalantly suggested she just give me the 1M baht in cash and I could just walk it over to the other bank branch (just down the mall) and make the deposit.

I don't know about you but even just walking to tho her side of the mall with that much money would make e nervous. (I ended up doing the transfer online.)

I guess so much cash transactions to avoid the tax-man

always been this way, I used to regularly have to handle cash in the job that I was in over there, taking 3 mil baht from one bank to another as the clients didn't trust each other-the banks 'cashier cheque' and the banks don't trust each other to recognise a swift transfer in one day.....standing down the land office with 5 mil baht in a sports bag and the owners of the land counting every single 1000 baht note to make sure it's there....keeps you on your toes!

also plenty of people got their tor-tor sam paper work this way on their dodgy cash they brought to Thailand in order to get their condo transferred into their own name....

those were the days....

You are possibly the most sensible man in Thailand. You sound like one wild dude.

And why would a 'tent' buy a car. Did it fold itself up and put itself in the boot?

Wow that's some wit...as sharp as a bowling ball you are.

Well ok then, what is a 'tent' Mr Sensible?

I wonder how the Cypriots view the Thai 'cash economy' right around now ? I admit that it's an eye-opener when you see someone with a huge 'brick' of 1K notes, or the tightly wrapped roll held in place with a rubber band, but obviously that's the way they prefer to operate. Their country, their choice.