Store-Brand Spaghetti Sauce

Why would you even consider buying a disgusting sauce in a bottle when all of the ingredients are readily available here. I just finished a plate of seafood pasta, cooked by my self. I live about 240 kilos from the closest Tops. I make the dish using seafood; clams, muzzles, and, shrimp; available at the market on Thursday along with the other ingredients It takes about 30 minutes and is far better than any disgusting bottled crap!

Get a life, envision what you think the best sauce should taste like, put the ingredients in a pan and cook it and if if tastes like s**t then throw it out. Believe me, I done it more than once in my life to the extent that my dog wouldn't even eat it.

But that's just the point, some live even less than 240 meters from a Tops.

Why would one spend a few hours buying ingredients, then cooking and after washing dishes, if the sauce can be had by just opening a jar ?

Big C Extra, and before that Carrefour, have 4 or 5 different spagetti sauces imported from France for 35 Baht for 200gr or 65 Baht for 400 gr.

I normally use Napolitane or Provencale but they have a 6 legumes as well.

Oh, and for the get a life comment, I have a life but I don't spend it in a kitchen preparing spagetti sauce and washing dishes.

I like to make my own sauce, but I use both the canned stuff (virtually any of them will do, but Prego seems to be widely available) and my own ingredients: fresh tomatoes, lots of garlic, some chopped onion, Italian seasoning, chicken buillion cube, pinch sugar, fresh oregano, bay leaf, and cheap wine (for those who like to save $$$$$$, I have even used the cheap red Spy wine cooler that you can buy at 7-11and it works OK). Put it all in a crok pot and let it go for several hours. Even better if you know how to make Italian meatballs...just throw them in the crok pot and cook em in the sauce.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies.

Well, maybe not many folks here have tried it yet... seems like a relatively new item.

I guess I'll just have to fork up a few baht and find out for myself.

Let us know.

I've bought a pasata sauce from Tesco in the past which was Mutta? brand, 500cl for 139 Baht I think. Brown off some meatballs as a member suggested then sweat down some rough chopped veggies with thyme or basil before adding some red grape juice (or spy). Add a glug of the pasata and let it simmer for a few minutes. Put the meatballs back in and simmer very gently for 20-30 minutes.

It's not going to win any awards but for the small amount of time and effort involved it's pretty good. Freezes well too which has got to be a bonus.

Not tried it but I'd say these (Chang Mai?) sausage balls would go well in a pasta sauce

link-sausages-368x550.jpg

Edited by notmyself

To save time and hassle, you can doctor up most sauces to make a respectable red sauce. The big problem is if you use a sauce with a lot of sugar. Anyway, you can add paste, olive oil, garlic, onion and veggies.

Another spin - fresh tomatos, onion touch of paste, oil, garlic, herbs.

butter, olive oil and herbs or olive oil, loads of garlic herbs (parmasean cheeze a must).

Pesto sauce is awesome but never tried it with Thai basil. No idea what nuts you might use.

Of course fresh herbs make the dish

Onions are horrible in this country

Edited by bangkokburning

• 2 weeks later...

Before I started making my own sauce, I was buying "El Sapo" pasta sauce, that filled my needs completely it was great tasting and inexpensive.

I would buy the sauce by the case from a TV member who advertises his product on the forum.

If you have not tried it, you should do so , they also have some bottled salsa.

Cheers:smile.png

To save time and hassle, you can doctor up most sauces to make a respectable red sauce. The big problem is if you use a sauce with a lot of sugar. Anyway, you can add paste, olive oil, garlic, onion and veggies.

Another spin - fresh tomatos, onion touch of paste, oil, garlic, herbs.

butter, olive oil and herbs or olive oil, loads of garlic herbs (parmasean cheeze a must).

Pesto sauce is awesome but never tried it with Thai basil. No idea what nuts you might use.

Of course fresh herbs make the dish

Onions are horrible in this country

What's the problem with onions here? I use them all the time and they cook up deliciously. At least to my taste. They are a bit strong when raw. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for the delay getting back.

I didnt get a chance to return to my "local" Tops (which is about an hour drive for me) until recently. OK, so I bought and tried the MyChoice "original" flavor. I added some ground beef like I usually like to do. I must say, I didnt give much thought about anaysing the taste until I was almost done. Which, I guess, indicates nothing tasted out of place. I'll buy it again next time.

Thanks, Ricklev, for pointing out that those sauces (and salsa) are made by Nana. I dont have a Villa Market in reasonable distance from my home, so I hadn't a chance to try it. Seems I can now smile.png