Thai Army Chief Urges Self-Imposed Curfew For Teachers

webfact

Thai army chief urges self-imposed curfew for teachers

BANGKOK, May 23, 2013 (AFP) - Thailand's army chief on Wednesday urged teachers in the country's insurgency-racked south to stay at home after 6pm to avoid falling victim to militants as the new school year gets under way.

Nearly 160 teachers and other school staff have been killed during a nine-year-old insurgency that has gripped Thailand's Muslim-majority deep south, bordering Malaysia.

Recent rounds of peace talks between representatives of the rebels and Thai authorities have failed to stem the violence, leaving teachers fearful that they remain in the firing line as they return to school.

"I ask for your cooperation not to leave your houses after 6pm -- it will help reduce violence (against teachers)," General Prayut Chan-O-Cha said in the southern city of Yala, in reply to a teacher who asked if the army could curb attacks on his profession.

Thousands of schools closed temporarily in December in protest at a lack of security for teachers, who are targeted by the militants for their perceived collaboration with the Thai state.

A leader of a southern teachers' union recognised the "goodwill" behind the general's remarks but rejected the suggestion of a self-imposed curfew.

"Teachers know they are a target... they know they have to take care of themselves, but to suggest they should not leave their homes after 6pm seems like an attack on our freedom," said Boonsom Thongsriplai.

"The attacks can happen anytime during the day or night, we think it is better to focus on how to take care of security," he added.

Thailand held its first official peace talks with representatives of the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN) in Malaysia in March and another round in April, but deadly attacks have continued, embarrassing Thai security forces.

In April rebels involved in the talks said they wanted "liberation" from Thailand, something General Prayut appeared to reject on Wednesday.

"Violence must be solved swiftly... (but) I want to reassure (people) that Thailand is inseparable -- it's one kingdom," he said, adding there are around 140 so-called 'red zone' villages in the south responsible for the majority of the violence.

More than 5,500 people have been killed in near-daily bombings and shootings in three Muslim-majority provinces near Thailand's southern border with Malaysia since 2004.

Buddhist and Muslims alike fall victim to the shadowy militants, who target security forces, civilians and perceived representatives of state authority.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-05-23

This is All the army can offer.....it would appear that they are losing interest in the South.

They just seem to be in the wrong places all the time......and as for their "stepping up security" statements......!!!

Is that all the army has to offer?

A virtual self imposed house arrest.

If I had children working as teaching staff in the deep south I would be doing all I could to get them out.

It shows remarkable dedication that most are still there for the kids and they deserve much more than advice to lock their doors.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Agreed, that the teachers deserve more, but the people causing the trouble (like their brethren the world over) are not really open to negotiations..... that is, unless they get everything they want.

• Like 1

This has been an on going problem for some time, it's a wounder there is any teachers at all in the South, unfortunately pulling out all Thai Buddhist teachers will leave a void that will be filled by Muslim teachers, exactly what the insurgents want, they now control the education of the children , one must be excused for bringing religion into this, as I am not racist, but at the end of the day that's exactly the reason for the insurgents activity , there certainly is no easy answer to this problem, except to close all schools down, once again you play into the terrorists hands, the security forces are stretched to the limit and are unable to supply 24/7 protection for everyone.bah.gif

• Like 1

Watching your 6 is always a good idea, but this kinda sounds like a "Self Help Security Program" and comes highly recommended by the army since it doesn't require their involvement...also allows more troops time off after dark.

The army chief should move his base to the south, and also brought his family there. Maybe the pipe would get another tone then.

Extraordinary comment from the Army chief. He suggests people should become prisoners in their own homes whilst the people paid to protect them are free to swan around in Bangkok.

Maybe Thailand can spare one of their DPMs, specifically the minister with overall responsibility for the problem, Khun Chalerm, to make his presence felt in the area too by transferring temporarily to the south.

Edited by bigbamboo

If I remember correctly they actually killed some of them in the schools in front of the students..

Good idea confine them to their home after 6:00 that way the terrorists can get their families also.

what has the army chief got to do with the recommendations. I thought Yingluck said she was going to run the show in the deep- south.

Look for upscale boutiques.