What Cost To Own A Car For Infrequent Use?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks ....

Maybe looking at a 2.5 diesel ...

3rd party sounds OK but what about the cost of TAX ?

I see renting as throwing money away ... sad.png ... I don't think I could rent a car for 6 weeks for less than a years Tax and Insurance?

Family using the car is OUT of the question as the whole exercise is to get as independent as possible because I keep finding hands in my pocket that are not mine every time I turn around.annoyed.gif

If renting a car a few weeks is throwing money away, buying one

to use for a few weeks each year is much more of a waste.

• Like 1

I didn't expect to be advised about the maintenance and upkeep ... all I asked was what would it cost to Tax & 3rd party Insure and what options there ...

I am happy you seem so concerned to consider me stupid but I have always maintained and worked on my own vehicles for 50 years since I started driving ... we do that in the country in Oz ...

Let me bother about the choice of vehicle and what it needs for moth-balling it for 11 months ......

Or if anyone knows where I can hire a car for 6 weeks that would be comparable ..... I think not ...

Please just give me a ball-park figure as to what the cost of Tax & Insurance would be on say a 2.5ltr diesel ???

Assuming 2 door pickup more than 10 years old, tax 900bht, gov. min. insurance 900bht.

Double those for any type of 4 door.

Thank you for that info as it is what I need to know.

And to all the others thank you as well as I have learned a lot from you all. 5

If you indeed have 50 years experience maintaining cars, you surely know

the worst thing you can do to a vehicle is let it sit for long periods.

In case you don't know, even if you could adequate mothballing the vehicle

for long-term in a humid tropical climate, the annual cost of the required moth-

balling and de-mothballing could easily equal the cost of 6 weeks car rental.

A bit of politeness and common sense are both in order here.

Vehicles are like stones on the ground. Simply buy from used car dealer after you arrive and sell it back to him or her for a reduced price before you leave. The loss could be factored as the amount to have it. Calculating this would make owning it for only a few bahts per day as opposed to 2000 bahts per day if you rent. There's no better way than this because the other options provide no profit.

Additionally, it removes the temptation for your family to use the vehicle while you are away, and damage it or cause damage which you would end up paying for in order for them to keep you in their clique. What do you think?

• Like 1

Well what a surprising people, do not deserve to be answer. kind of people that will get troubkws in few time. rip...

This said i have already 4 years a 2 lites medium car 4 door (Toyota Wish) and what surprise me is the insurance price! i paid yearly about 30.000 bahts for a full insurance (omnium) some people here talk about 2.000 and less... are they oz! :) Can i have a clue ?

Renting a nice new car for 6Weeks seems the way to go for the OP.coffee1.gif .

I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you check out Budget Car Rental at Swampy (main airport). My son rented a new Toyota 2 door truck with diesel with unlimited miles and was very happy to pay about 1200 baht a week. This was about 3 years ago. Don't think the prices have gone up that much. Edited by jcb2001

Thanks ....

I see renting as throwing money away ... sad.png ... I don't think I could rent a car for 6 weeks for less than a years Tax and Insurance?

Family using the car is OUT of the question as the whole exercise is to get as independent as possible because I keep finding hands in my pocket that are not mine every time I turn around.annoyed.gif

I understand your feeling of renting as throwing away money. But consider a vehicle you can get in that price range can cost you more than the price of renting for repairs. To leave it sit for 46 weeks a year is a invitation to disaster. Back in Canada it was recommended to run the air conditioning once a month in the winter. Find a mechanic you can trust and talk to him about leaving an old vehicle just sitting for 46 weeks a year. Seems to me it would get moldy inside not being used.

If you rent the insurance is paid for so you will not be throwing money away on extra insurance and you will have a new car in good running condition the first time you get behind the wheel every year.

Taxes ~2,000 Baht

Insurance: For the type of car you are talking about you will not get First Class insurance (too old), so you will be paying about ~8,000 Baht for what is called "Two plus One" which is Second Class insurance plus a write-off value should he car be a total loss.

There are Thai Insurance company web-sites that will give a quote in English as there are English speaking staff at insurance companies in the usual places; Pattaya etc you will find some farang staff that are not insurance agents directly but "helpers" in such companies - the premium will reflect their salary.

Leaving a car/pick-up idle for most of the year is stupid.

Thailand is a hot place and the oil in the engine will drain from all the metal-metal surfaces so even a monthly run will cause significant engine wear. Tires will deform unless the car is grease-balled and placed on jacks. There will be octane loss for any fuel left in the tank due to temperature cycling. And the vehicle is most likely to become a home to ants, lizards and in turn geckos or snakes as the food-chain explores the new undisturbed space.

You will need the car to be under cover that is weather-proof, the sun will wreck the dash and any plastic and the tire side-walls when left exposed. Bird crap and dust will wreck the paintwork.

Did I mention the seized brakes? Hopefully you know enough about cars to check this before driving off (or whoever has the key?) as they will cost ~5,000 Baht to replace each and hopefully it's not driven far enough to boil off the hydraulic brake fluid and leave you with even more serious repair bills, finger's crossed it's caught before it crashes.

But as you say paying rental is a waste of money when you can clearly have an investment sitting on your drive, waiting for you.

Bit irrelevant anyway as you can not own a car on a tourist visa, must have a one year non-imm visa of some type with proof of address.

Just seems a pity it needs two weeks maintenance and safety test every year before you can use it, but you seem to know cars better than most - good luck. coffee1.gif

Edited by Cuban
  • Like 1

When I come to Thailand I rent a pick up for 22,000 Thb a month. You can get a pretty good car for about 18,000. I personally would'nt have a car sitting outside the Thai G/f's family house for them to be using for the other 46 month of the year. Your bird will probably want to be posing in a newish vehicle anyway.

I didn't expect to be advised about the maintenance and upkeep ... all I asked was what would it cost to Tax & 3rd party Insure and what options there ...

I am happy you seem so concerned to consider me stupid but I have always maintained and worked on my own vehicles for 50 years since I started driving ... we do that in the country in Oz ...

Let me bother about the choice of vehicle and what it needs for moth-balling it for 11 months ......

Or if anyone knows where I can hire a car for 6 weeks that would be comparable ..... I think not ...

Please just give me a ball-park figure as to what the cost of Tax & Insurance would be on say a 2.5ltr diesel ???

Gee Jimbob, lots of guys giving you free good advise and you know so much already I'm amazed you don't know the answer to your own question. Sorry for wasting your time with my previous post

You can rent a car 6 weeks including full inssurance for between 30 to 35k, typically around 800 baht/day. If you want an old car (200k), then tax and full inssurancem, that may be close to the same the first couple of years. On top comes service and an old car, may need some service quickly. Finally you need to calculate your investment, such as interest and loss of value.

When I started to stay some six month a year, I bought a 2nd hand 11 year old for around 350k. My option was renting a Suzuki for 15k/month (only mandatory inssurance). Tax and full inssurance first year was more than 30k and I also had to change bumbers and a new T-belt (did not know the age, but car has just turned 100.000 km on the clock). I could compare to some 90k in rent, which make it worth the investment, if the car would live for another 3 to 5 years and still gain little bit back, when resold. Actually that car has managed to survive for another 7 years (with a bit of service expenses) and as no accidents, the full inssurance is now only around 15k/y.

Tax is paid once a year together with mandatory inssurance. I do not know if full inssurance may be splitted up in quarterly payment (I pay mine once a year), but will probably be a litlle more expencieve than paying it yearly.

Edited by khunPer

In answer to your question, my 9 year old pick-up costs me ฿14,000 for firstclass insurance and license.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've read first class insurance isn't available for cars older than 5 years.

I would normally see renting as a waste but I think in your case it would make sense. 200k will get you a heap of shit unless you were really lucky. maintenance and tax every year , then the headaches when it does go wrong, the hassle with registration. you could rent a car for around 10k/ month, so for 6 wks thats 15k each visit in a modern comfortable and reliable car no headaches. thats about 13 years worth, you'll save that much in petrol alone... well nearly. I am pretty sure a 200k motor wouldnt last another 13 years without a new set of tyres, a new gearbox, electrics and good knows what else.

Thanks ....

Family using it is out don't you believe it you have stated they get their hand in your pocket now trust me your car will be their taxi service. Tip don't leave any fuel in it as that will be a goner too not to mention the oil. Rent.

• Like 1

I dont know about anyone else , but Im just about to insure my approx 400k baht Chev Colorado ute again with Class 1 insurance for 12k for the year , if that helps.

IIRC the road taxes ( rego) is under 2k a year.

Im advised a diesel will store better than petrol driven car .

My neighbour stores his Corolla ( petrol) for 6 months at a time in a semi open carport situation with frequesnt passing foot traffic , and has no problems with vermin , or restarting. But this is in busy Phuket ( away from the beach).

He doesnt have a Thai wife and family to covet the car but.( I appreciate that can be a real problem for some who cant control their wife and her family.) He just has a good landlord who sees the area around the car is swept/hosed etc.

The neighbour rents the house all year round , and the landlord is house proud , so this isnt a farmland/outback situation.

In answer to your question, my 9 year old pick-up costs me ฿14,000 for firstclass insurance and license.

This is not correct. My pick-up is about 8 years old, and I have first class Insurance (about 12,000 Baht a year).

This is not correct. My pick-up is about 8 years old, and I have first class Insurance (about 12,000 Baht a year).

Some Pickups are More Equal than Others.cheesy.gif

A car sitting for nearly a year without moving will require regular replacement batteries and tyres.

Unless the tyres are removed and the car left on stands, with the battery also removed and

regularly charged.

You may also get seizure in suspension joints, door hinges, any moving parts, unless lubricated,

rubber seals would also perish too.

The engine would also suffer severe ware on initial start up every year unless it's pre lubricated

before starting.

My take is that you could well be spending more on maintenance than TAX & insurance.

<deleted>.

When I first moved out here I put my car in storage (air tight shipping container) and only drove it when I went home for my annual holiday (2 weeks per year) and all I did was drain the fuel system (pumped Inox*** through it to ensure nothing dried out) and disconnected the battery and squirted some Inox*** down the spark plug holes and leave the doors ajar.

When I returned home all I did was drop in some fresh fuel, re-connect the battery and using a jumper pack crank it over until it showed oil pressure then fire it up........ it drove absolutely fine as if I had not even been away.

Out here though I would be concerned with rats getting into it and eating the wiring.

*** http://www.inox-mx3.com/product_detail.php?productID=10&productContentID=8&pageID=APPLICATIONS

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

Renting a nice new car for 6Weeks seems the way to go for the OP.coffee1.gif .

I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you check out Budget Car Rental at Swampy (main airport). My son rented a new Toyota 2 door truck with diesel with unlimited miles and was very happy to pay about 1200 baht a week. This was about 3 years ago. Don't think the prices have gone up that much.

I think you mean 1200 a day.

Surely not 1200 a week.thumbsup.gif

Thai people do not take care of their cars. So on that point what type of car would you get for 200K. Also factor in insurance for a year for around 15K. What is your goal?? To try to save money by buying a cheap charlie car??? That will need to be fixed when broken.(yes I know you can fix it) For what so you can use it for six weeks a year where more then likely the Thai women's boyfriend or real husband will use it for the balance of the year?? Ask the right questions get the right answers. It is not being negative just if you are trying to save money that way then as mentioned by other members-----get a scooter---. Otherwise buy a new car which will be great on gas and leave it in storage when you are not here. When you return every year you will have a great low mileage car to use for 6 weeks or longer. That is the easy way to go. Good luck